Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Portraits of a friends' daughter.

DSC01845-X3.jpg

DSC01890-X3.jpg

DSC01897-X3.jpg

DSC01908-X3.jpg

DSC01981-X3.jpg

DSC02026-X3.jpg

Chris - These are wonderful; you definitely captured her radiant spirit!

Okay - I have a question for Sony A owners. I knew battery life is poor for my A6000 but batteries seem to drain while waiting in reserve as well. I charge all 3; they show as charged but before I can use them (a few days maybe?) they are dead again. The camera is brand new as well as the batteries.

Any suggestions? Should I remove a battery from the camera overnight to reduce loss of charge? Is charging while in the camera better than using the charger that came with my second/third batteries?

Okay - I have a question for Sony A owners. I knew battery life is poor for my A6000 but batteries seem to drain while waiting in reserve as well. I charge all 3; they show as charged but before I can use them (a few days maybe?) they are dead again. The camera is brand new as well as the batteries.

Any suggestions? Should I remove a battery from the camera overnight to reduce loss of charge? Is charging while in the camera better than using the charger that came with my second/third batteries?

Kathy,

Are those Sony batteries or 3rd party? I will lose a little battery life over a few days but never completely drained. Take the battery out of the camera overnight - I don't think it makes a difference how you charge them.

Some more senior portraits - this time my daughter. A7R2 with FE 55mm 1.8 or FE 85mm 1.8. Godox TT685II off camera into umbrella triggered with Godox X1t.

DSC02257-X3.jpg

DSC02261-X3.jpg

DSC02277-X3.jpg

DSC02284-X3.jpg

DSC02315-X3.jpg

DSC02369-X3.jpg

DSC02385-X3.jpg

DSC02406-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Kathy,

Are those Sony batteries or 3rd party? I will lose a little battery life over a few days but never completely drained. Take the battery out of the camera overnight - I don't think it makes a difference how you charge them.

I have one Sony battery and two 3rd party; seems to be the same issue with all 3.

You could definitely try removing the batteries overnight. However, there have been occasional posts pop up on Sony camera boards about people running into this issue, affecting a very rare few folks, and it's difficult to isolate just where it's coming from. It's NOT a thing that happens to most of these cameras. I've got an A6000 and A6300 and leave batteries in the camera with the camera turned off for a week at a time, and when I turn it back on the battery is within 1% of where I left it. Both cameras, 4 different batteries, 3 Sony factory ones, one third party. So I've never experienced the issue.
There might be a few settings with the camera that can eat batteries more quickly and you may or may not actually need those features. For example, 'prefocus' when on is constantly cycling the focus even when just walking around and not pressing any buttons. Stabilization set to always on vs when pressing shutter only is similar - it's constantly stabilizing even when you're not shooting. Keeping the wifi of the camera enabled will obviously eat up some battery power - so keep airplane mode ON when you don't need the wifi.
Another predicted issue was that the power zoom lenses and some third party lenses might somehow drain the battery as they are still drawing power through the connection plate - some have tried unlocking the lens and partially removing/rotating, then relocking into place, when turning off the camera. I don't use any power zoom lenses so I can't attest to that being a solution. Unfortunately it sounds like you have one of those rare cameras with the unexplained power drain - so try some of the above solutions to see if you can stop it...it's not normal behavior for these cameras and most do not experience such an issue.

You could definitely try removing the batteries overnight. However, there have been occasional posts pop up on Sony camera boards about people running into this issue, affecting a very rare few folks, and it's difficult to isolate just where it's coming from. It's NOT a thing that happens to most of these cameras. I've got an A6000 and A6300 and leave batteries in the camera with the camera turned off for a week at a time, and when I turn it back on the battery is within 1% of where I left it. Both cameras, 4 different batteries, 3 Sony factory ones, one third party. So I've never experienced the issue.
There might be a few settings with the camera that can eat batteries more quickly and you may or may not actually need those features. For example, 'prefocus' when on is constantly cycling the focus even when just walking around and not pressing any buttons. Stabilization set to always on vs when pressing shutter only is similar - it's constantly stabilizing even when you're not shooting. Keeping the wifi of the camera enabled will obviously eat up some battery power - so keep airplane mode ON when you don't need the wifi.
Another predicted issue was that the power zoom lenses and some third party lenses might somehow drain the battery as they are still drawing power through the connection plate - some have tried unlocking the lens and partially removing/rotating, then relocking into place, when turning off the camera. I don't use any power zoom lenses so I can't attest to that being a solution. Unfortunately it sounds like you have one of those rare cameras with the unexplained power drain - so try some of the above solutions to see if you can stop it...it's not normal behavior for these cameras and most do not experience such an issue.

Thanks Justin. I will look into what you mentioned and I ordered another Sony battery today for my upcoming trip.

I don't know how long you've had the camera Kathy, but I would consider returning it for another A6000 if you can.

I'm considering that option. I bought the camera in mid-September so more than 30 days ago but we're still somewhat snowed in right now. I'm testing the Sony battery right now to see how long it holds a charge. I bought the 3rd party ones on strong recommendation from a website so major disappointment there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!