Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

_DSC3009ed-XL.jpg

Some of my first outings in the wetlands with the new A6600, paired with the FE100-400mm GM combo:

Iguana:
original.jpg

Green heron - at ISO 3,200:
original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk flying quickly towards me:
original.jpg

Anhinga down in the shadows in the water with a freshly-caught fish (ISO 4,000):
original.jpg

Ibis approaching to land:
original.jpg

Juvenile ibis approaching head-on:
original.jpg

Tricolor heron flying by after the sun set, in dusk light (ISO 6,400):
original.jpg

Yellow-rumped warbler up in the trees:
original.jpg

Cooper's hawk hiding in the pine trees:
original.jpg

Osprey flying over:
original.jpg

Blue-headed vireo in the shadows of the pine forest:
original.jpg

American bittern closeup:
original.jpg

Well I added the new big boy lens for my new A6600 camera - bird and wildlife photography is a primary pursuit of mine, so it was pretty natural that I was going to add the big zoom. It's not intended to replace the FE100-400mm lens, which still will be better for BIF due to the shorter focal length, smaller and lighter size, dual focus motors...and of course better for closeup work due to the much much closer minimum focus distance. But for reach needs - which is almost always with birds, the 200-600mm delivers excellent reach in a still reasonable size (I handhold it)...and is surprisingly adept at BIF too, though I haven't tried it on the superfast birds like martins and swallows.
Here are some shots from my first outing with this lens over the weekend, out at my local wetlands, Wakodahatchee:

Great blue heron out in the tall grasses - at 600mm:
[IMG]

A green iguana, all 'oranged' up for mating time, wandering through the shallow waters and low plants:
[IMG]

Double-crested cormorant closeup at 500mm:
[IMG]

Getting super-tight closeup with an American bittern hunting through the reeds - at 600mm:
[IMG]

Quite a rare find - not only are they not here in big numbers, but they really like to hide - a Wilson's snipe at 600mm:
[IMG]

A cooper's hawk up in a cypress tree, with the remains of a recently caught bird he was feasting on:
[IMG]

A cormorant flying directly at the camera - the tracking AF doing a nice job staying with him:
[IMG]

Cormorant approaching to land:
[IMG]

A great blue heron with a great big fish, trying to figure out how to get it down his throat:
[IMG]

Another great blue heron high in the clear skies - with a baby turtle for a meal:
[IMG]

I do believe I'll be enjoying this lens, and especially the combo on my A6600 - giving me 900mm equivalent reach in a hand-holdable package!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!