Photography

Mikeedwards

Earning My Ears
I have a question about photography at resorts or the parks for that matter. I am not an active pro photographer but have in the past. I have what other would see as pro equipment. I want to be able to take family photos of my family our next trip. Either at a resort or more questionable the parks. I want to use portable outdoor off camera flash which may be cumbersome (specifically in the parks). Question is would this be allowed or would I be shut down? Its my equipment and my family so I think I would be fine but not sure with the flash equipment.

This is from the Disney Rules for the Theme Parks. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/?int_cmp=INS-intWDWtoWDW-Rules
• Selfie sticks, hand-held extension poles for cameras or mobile devices, flags and banners are not allowed in any theme park and water park.
• Tripods or monopod stands that cannot fit inside a standard backpack or that extend over 6’ (182 cm) are not allowed in theme parks, water parks, Disney Springs or ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

We have a dedicated Photography board; I’ll move your question there as I’m sure they’ll be able to give you specifics on what equipment is and isn’t ok in the parks and resorts. :)

I have a question about photography at resorts or the parks for that matter. I am not an active pro photographer but have in the past. I have what other would see as pro equipment. I want to be able to take family photos of my family our next trip. Either at a resort or more questionable the parks. I want to use portable outdoor off camera flash which may be cumbersome (specifically in the parks). Question is would this be allowed or would I be shut down? Its my equipment and my family so I think I would be fine but not sure with the flash equipment.

You're not going to be able to use an off camera flash setup in the parks. You've just outlined that it will likely be cumbersome.

You're not going to be able to use an off camera flash setup in the parks. You've just outlined that it will likely be cumbersome.
Why not? I have - just slapped my SB-700 onto the small stand it coems with and triggered it from the onboard speedlight in the parks, it's not horrid. Now light stands, on the other hand, are problematic - but you can also just bounce an on camera speedlight off of a bunch of things to get the right effect.

And to answer your question: So long as it's for non-pecuniary use, you're fine. I've used a gripped D7200 with f/2.8 glass in the past without issues.

In the parks, I wouldn’t expect to be able to use OCF, except maybe a handheld speedlight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!