Photos with characters after Disneyland races

kermit116

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yeste
I'll be doing the Disneyland 10k with some friends this year. We are each wearing different character-inspired outfits, and would love to get photos with our characters after the race (assuming these characters are not available during the race).

How common is it to see people in their running garb going straight to the parks after the races? Our goal would be to get our photos, then go back to our hotel (within walking distance) to shower, change, and then tour the parks. Normally we wouldn't want to wander around the parks right after a run in our stinky clothes, but we all have put so much time and effort (and money) into coordinating our outfits that we'd love to get character photos while still in our running "costumes."

I'll be doing the Disneyland 10k with some friends this year. We are each wearing different character-inspired outfits, and would love to get photos with our characters after the race (assuming these characters are not available during the race).

How common is it to see people in their running garb going straight to the parks after the races? Our goal would be to get our photos, then go back to our hotel (within walking distance) to shower, change, and then tour the parks. Normally we wouldn't want to wander around the parks right after a run in our stinky clothes, but we all have put so much time and effort (and money) into coordinating our outfits that we'd love to get character photos while still in our running "costumes."

I've only run a few Disney races so there are better people to answer the "how common..." question - but of the races that I have run, I can't remember seeing anybody still wearing what appeared to be their racing outfit in the parks (except for the medal).

But I have bad news for you - and, being a Disney devotee, I realize how much time, effort, and expense goes into the costumes - but Disney has a pretty stringent policy on not allowing adults wear character themed costumes in the park.

There have been news articles of late and Disney's stance is they don't want the public at-large (especially children) to assume the costume wearer is a Disney Cast Member.

I really do hate to tell you that but I'd hate more for you to be disappointed at the park entrance and have your plans for the day derailed.

Found the policy:

"Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character (unless you are dressing up for a particular event that allows costumes)"

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/parks/dress/

So, maybe you have a chance of doing it because of the "particular event"? I don't know, maybe you could get clarification by contacting Disney.

Good luck!

I'm not sure how common it is because we've typically gone back to our hotel to clean up and grab a bite to eat -- although we've been talking about wanting to do just this for the WDW Marathon. Unless your running costume is super elaborate in trying to really look like a character I think it's possible you wouldn't be held to the policy (particularly with bib and medal still on).

The most notable news story I heard about somebody being turned away because of the costume policy was a girl who spent hours trying to look like Tinkerbell as you would see in the parks at WDW. Most running costumes don't appear that representative of a character, and most runners aren't going to look that put together after 6+ miles of running either.

Certainly be aware of the policy and the chance that guest services may not allow you in. But I don't think it would hurt to try after the race, and park policies aside, I wouldn't think a thing of seeing runners after the race in the park taking in a few more photo ops.

If your costume is more like disney bounding you are safe, however if it looks too much like what is actually in the parks then there might be issues.

The other thing to consider with adult costumes is how you oresent yourself. When I worked at the parks there was a guy who dressed as jack sparrow in epcot. He knew the rules word for word and knew he was not allowed to go to MK where Jack meets but was allowed in Epcot, DHS, and DAK. The only stipulatiom is he could not stop for photos or autographs and if anyone asked he had to say im not dressed as captain jack just a pirate

Thanks for all these tips. I should clarify that I put the word "costume" in quotes because our outfits are really more inspired by different characters as opposed to actually looking like the characters' attire. For example, the members of our group dressing like princesses are wearing running skirts inspired by the princess costumes, with a color coordinated shirt and tiara and/or hair accessory. Nothing elaborate at all and definitely not something that would be mistaken for the actual character in the parks.

Thanks for all these tips. I should clarify that I put the word "costume" in quotes because our outfits are really more inspired by different characters as opposed to actually looking like the characters' attire. For example, the members of our group dressing like princesses are wearing running skirts inspired by the princess costumes, with a color coordinated shirt and tiara and/or hair accessory. Nothing elaborate at all and definitely not something that would be mistaken for the actual character in the parks.

OK - I misunderstood how elaborate you might have talking about. I've seen some incredibly elaborate costumes - to the point that I wonder how people run 3 blocks let alone 26 miles in them!

Sorry to get you all worried. I would think common sense would prevail in that case and you and your friends will be good to go!

May I ask which characters?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter