physically challenged and the pool

BarbJ34

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!first I'd like to wish everyone happy mothers day!

I would like anyone's ideas or suggestions on how anyone with a physically challenged child gets them in and out of the pool? My daughters a little bigger this year so Im not sure how this is going to work. What I usually do is take her out of the chair and sort of drop her in.(she swims well) That I probably wont have any trouble with,it is getting her out is the challenge. It is just her and I going so it is all up to me. What I did last year is I sit her on the ledge of the pool,get out swing her legs around so then she is lying down, pull her up and get her into the chair. Do you think that is the best method? Any ideas would be really helpful.
Thanks!::MinnieMo

This depends on the pool at the place you are staying. A few have zero entry pools. (AKL and Poly for sure) Others have special bump down steps. You pull the chair up beside it , slide over and bump your rear down the steps. To get out you reverse the process. The main pool at the All Star Resorts have this. Another option I have used is to drop from my chair to the side of the pool and then drop into the pool. Did this at a hotel in Orlando that didn't have a zero entry or bump down. I was lucky because getting out several of the ladies from our convention group helped me out and in getting my leg cast back on.

There are some pools that have "zero entry". It's gradual ramp that leads into the water. They also have pool wheelchairs so that you can just wheel the chair into the right depth for her and she can hop out of the cahir. Getting out works the same way in reverse. I can't remember for sure which pools are zero entry. I know GF, AKL and I think Contemporary are.
"Bump steps" are another way of getting into the pools. Many of the pools at WDW have added these. I know they have them at WL, SAB for BC and YC, OKW at Turtle Lake. There are more, but I can't remember all of them right now. The idea of the steps is that you can pull the wheelchair up next to the steps and then transfer to sit on the top step. Using the handrail, you can then bump down each step on your bottom until you get into the water. To get out, you do the reverse. I don't know if that will work for your DD or not (it won't for mine because she doesn't have the balance to transfer that way).
I had a link to some pictures of zero entry pool and also to a set of bump steps, but it is not working right now.

Polynesian Resort also has a zero entry level pool and I am sure I have read that Saratoga resort will have one also.

Last visit I noticed that bump steps have been added to BW Villas quiet pool.

I suspect that some form of 'disabled' pool access is being added at every Disney resort now that pool access is required by the ADA.

Andrew

BarbJ34, I thought I would post a link to a few write-ups regarding how I got myself into the pool at the GF while I was disabled last Fall -- click here for my write-up (look for one post on that page entitled "Let’s do the 'bump'" and another post on that page entitled "Grand Floridian Day Two, Part 2"). I included links in my write-ups to photos.

I don't know if your child's situation is similar to mine, but if she can use her arms and at least one of her legs, the bump-down steps would be an option for her. If she can't use her legs, then the water wheelchair at the GF might be her only option. However, to my knowledge, the GF is the only resort with a water wheelchair and you must be a guest of the GF to use its swimming pools. So if you're looking for an excuse to stay at that glorious resort, I think you might have found it. ;) My family loves the GF (we'll be staying there again shortly).

Originally posted by Janet2k
However, to my knowledge, the GF is the only resort with a water wheelchair and you must be a guest of the GF to use its swimming pools.

Based on an informal conversation with a pool CM, I believe that Disney would make an exception to the no pool-hopping rule for someone who could only us a zero entry pool.

It would certainly be worth asking.

Andrew

Note from SueM - editied by mistake when I wanted to quote Andrew. I didn't make any changes, but wanted to explain why it says I edited this.

Originally posted by Janet2k
... However, to my knowledge, the GF is the only resort with a water wheelchair and you must be a guest of the GF to use its swimming pools...
We have used the water wheelchair at AKL, which was great.

Bump steps don't work for our DS bcs he doesn't use his arms well either, so our best option is a Zero-Entry pool with water wheelchair. I expect they have one at Poly as well and they will have a couple wtaer wheelchairs at the gorgeous feature pool at the new Saratoga Springs resort.

Originally posted by Andrew Bichard
Based on an informal conversation with a pool CM, I believe that Disney would make an exception to the no pool-hopping rule for someone who could only us a zero entry pool.

It would certainly be worth asking.

Andrew

There. that's better. I meant to QUOTE Andrew, not edit his post.

Anyway, I have also heard that they will make exceptions to allow pool hopping to a zero entry pool if that is the only type that can be used.
Most of the pools either have bumpsteps or are adding them as they are renovates, so they are pretty common now.

thank you all so much for your responds. I am considering all your great ideas. We will be staying at pop century. I think I saw a picture with the bump steps. That might be an opion for my dd. A good friend of mine has a pool in her complex with the bump steps so this sumer I will try it out there. Thanks so much !

for getting out of the pool, would she be able to bump up the regular steps that lead into and out of the pool? maybe then you could help her stand and hold onto the hand rail before doing a sit to stand transfer...does she receive PT? they may love to work on this with her to help her get ready for the trip!!!::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

I'm happy to hear that the AKL has a water wheelchair. (I just love that resort.)

I was on the DVC board tonight, checking out info regarding the new Sarasota Springs Resort. I'll be staying there soon, so I was especially interested to find photos of it posted here on the Dis. I think some of you might be very interested in seeing the following photos of the resort's pool area:
Dis SSR Photo # 1
Dis SSR Photo # 2
Dis SSR Photo # 3
Dis SSR Photo # 4
Dis SSR Photo # 5
Dis SSR Photo # 6

If you look closely in either the foreground or background of those photos, you will see some handicap-accessible features of the swimming pool area. I read that the small waterslide (photo # 2) might be accessible to someone with mobility issues. I also read that the hot tub has a special chair (photos # 3 and # 4) that someone with mobility issues might be able to use in order to get into and out of the hot tub.

I'll know more about the resort after I stay there, but from what I see in the photos and have read in the reports, it looks like a lovely resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter