pick a pearl setting

Just read through a ton of pages in this thread and I'm so excited to do this with my DD in October!! Thanks to those that posted pics - the rings are beautiful and I can't wait to have a pearl set in one!

Just read through a ton of pages in this thread and I'm so excited to do this with my DD in October!! Thanks to those that posted pics - the rings are beautiful and I can't wait to have a pearl set in one!

You will love it! I have done it multiple times. I have 3 necklaces and a ring and have gotten necklaces as gifts for my Mom and 2 sisters from there too. Do it in Japan at Epcot, they do a great ceremony and everything!

I had always wanted to do Pick a Pearl, but never got around to doing it. This trip, I was determined my souvenir was going to be a pearl ring. I let my son pick the oyster and it had a 7.5mm golden pearl. I had it set into a ring and love it. :)

We did "Pick a Pearl" at EPCOT when DD was 2. There were 2 pearls so it worked out nicely. We chose earrings and decided we would give them to her on her 18th birthday. The next year DH wanted to make a set so we did it again and got 2 pearls again. So now she has a nice set of earrings and a necklace.

In Jan. we are going again and if we get one then we will do a ring and if we get two then I think we will get matching rings for her and I.

The problem with the pearl cage is, if you get a larger pearl it won't fit in the cage. At Epcot, to pick a pearl it's $17. I got a setting and chain for $37 together, all told it was $54. More than I wanted to spend but I am very happy with it. I wear it pretty often.

This is beautiful!

I just did pick a pearl in Japan last week. I had actually purchased the mickey head icon (3 round circles) from Ebay for $8 I think. really pretty got a lot of compliments on it.

I am a veteran at picking pearls. I have done them both at Japan and The Pearl Factory, both WDW and DL as well as Vegas.

I have probably 20+ pieces all different colors...can you tell I love pearls. I have been thiking about writing a sticky because it seems every other week there is a question about pick a pearl. Hmm...who do I have to contact.

Anyway....word of advice. If you go with your own setting...neither location will "set" your pearl if it needs to be drilled. If you have a "cage" setting finish your transaction and walk away before putting your pearl in the cage. Both companies want to sell you settings.

I don't know if The Pearl Factory still does this but they have extra pearls you can buy or trade if you don't like the color. I know I did this at the DL location. If you are really hoping for a black or blue pearl....you might have to pick it out of a box.

Also saw some questions about the oyster itself. They do not allow folks to eat the oyster. I believe it's because one they are not eating oysters and two they have not been probably maintained (temparature/water).

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

I picked two pearls to make earrings one was a large gold hue one was a smaller white hue they allowed me to exchange for a hold hue one the same size as the gild one I picked, & they did not charge me extra.. Just a thought.. To make post earrings is pretty cheap in Japan $10-$25. Plus they have dangly types which is more

Sept 2013 Poly, 2012 Disney Fantasy, BC CL, GF CL, POR, 2011 Poly CL, CR, Poly CL, AKL, 2010 Poly CL, ASMu 2009, SSR 2008, Pop 2006, POR , Asmo 2005, Asmo 2003, offsite 2000, 1999,1989, Poly 1980, offsite 1979

I picked two pearls to make earrings one was a large gold hue one was a smaller white hue they allowed me to exchange for a hold hue one the same size as the gild one I picked, & they did not charge me extra.. Just a thought.. To make post earrings is pretty cheap in Japan $10-$25. Plus they have dangly types which is more

Bluejasmine...thanks for the piece of information. I wasn't sure if Japan had "extras" you could exchange. So now it sounds like both Japan and The Pearl Factory do things exactly the same way. However, Japan is cheaper in their prices. But then again...I always tend to pick the items dripping in diamonds! lol

I haven't done pick a pearl since I was 9 years old so I'm no help! I don't now if this was already talked about since I didn't read though the billions of pearl pages lol! But I did see on etsy.com someone was making pearl cage rings! Looks really cool - I've only seen the necklace cage rings that are talked about on here. Ring seemed like a neat idea!

Usually I just put my pearls in cages but on our 2008 trip I had one drilled into a pendant setting with a horseshoe. 6 months later it had fallen out of the setting (thank goodness I found it!) so on our 2009 trip we took it in and had them reglue it. Just 3 months later it fell out again! Anyone else have troubles with the glued pieces?

And anyone have experience purchasing the sterling silver pieces on eBay? I noticed the same settings that say "silver plated" and "sterling silver". I'll happily pay the extra for the sterling setting, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't being hussled and sold a silver plated setting for the sterling price.

I am sorry that you have so much trouble with the glued setting. I have six including a ring that gets a lot of hammering and never had any trouble with any of them. Did you let it cure for 24 hours before wearing it?

Corinna

I am sorry that you have so much trouble with the glued setting. I have six including a ring that gets a lot of hammering and never had any trouble with any of them. Did you let it cure for 24 hours before wearing it?

Corinna
I did. And I always took it off before a shower and followed all the tips they provided.

Just found out about this "pick a pearl" business...wow! I'm glad my significant other is not reading this...this can bankrupt me!

This is the same setting I have. I think I got it off of Ebay, actually.

Ooh I've been wearing my carriage this week, inspired by going through this thread again :)

Just found out about this "pick a pearl" business...wow! I'm glad my significant other is not reading this...this can bankrupt me!

It is so addictive and fun, you defo have to do this on your next trip :)

I got several when I was there in December - waiting for my camera to charge and I will take a pic and post later! :thumbsup2

Ooh yay popcorn:: Need to take pics of mine as well to share :)

I love this too!!! It's such a fun experience! I have pics I'll upload later! I'm Hoping to do this again in July!

I don't have a pic of mine, but it is set on a plain white gold band, sort of like a solitaire diamond. I love it! It wasn't an expensive setting at all, maybe $25?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!