Picking up park tickets earlier than check-in

I am watching this thread because my family is in the same boat. We arrive on the 21st and the package begins on the 23rd so we have 2 days to fill. So I called everyone and told them the situation with the tickets. No one was willing to pay for a 2 day ticket, obviously. And we don't want to just sit by the pool or go to Downtown Disney for two days. We'll be at Disney Parks for 6 days once the package starts....SOOOO if we can't get the tickets early, we are going to spend those 2 days (and our money) at SeaWorld. We haven't been there in over 20 years. This is our 17th trip to WDW. I'd rather spend the time in the Disney Parks but it sounds like we really need a back-up plan and everyone in our family seems happy with it.

Waiting patiently for the answer...............

I just hope that if this turns out to be a change in policy that everyone remembers to change the number of days on their tickets. Even at $8 a day, it would tick me off to let Disney keep that money if it turns out they changed how they enforce this in conjunction with free dining. Think how many people added extra days thinking they could. I'd ask for a refund even if it's just for that one day for us, even if only 2 of us end up going.

And to be honest, we've really been back and forth on leaving for Universal one day. This would probably cause me to throw some cash their way.

I am watching this thread because my family is in the same boat. We arrive on the 21st and the package begins on the 23rd so we have 2 days to fill. So I called everyone and told them the situation with the tickets. No one was willing to pay for a 2 day ticket, obviously. And we don't want to just sit by the pool or go to Downtown Disney for two days. We'll be at Disney Parks for 6 days once the package starts....SOOOO if we can't get the tickets early, we are going to spend those 2 days (and our money) at SeaWorld. We haven't been there in over 20 years. This is our 17th trip to WDW. I'd rather spend the time in the Disney Parks but it sounds like we really need a back-up plan and everyone in our family seems happy with it.

That was my thought as well, in instead of a Disney to Disney resort split we may do a Universal hotel and parks / Disney split.

FWIW I have actually picked up package tickets early on 3 separate occasions. First time Epcot GR no problem, 2nd time Studios GR a little confusion but a Mgr intervened and after that quick and easy, 3rd time (this past April, 2011) Epcot again, easy again!

IMHO it is probably more of a computer issue than a $ making issue. I was told that the package information isn't downloaded until 3-5 days prior to check in. Unless the CM's at Guest Relations can access your reservation informtation there is no way for them to verify you have indeed paid for tickets and which tickets to issue to you.

I just hope that if this turns out to be a change in policy that everyone remembers to change the number of days on their tickets. Even at $8 a day, it would tick me off to let Disney keep that money if it turns out they changed how they enforce this in conjunction with free dining. Think how many people added extra days thinking they could. I'd ask for a refund even if it's just for that one day for us, even if only 2 of us end up going.

And to be honest, we've really been back and forth on leaving for Universal one day. This would probably cause me to throw some cash their way.

Good point - probably best to buy tickets for only the number of days we will be on the free dining reservation. Then if we can pick up the tickets early extra days can be added as needed at no extra cost.

But, they are taking care the "base" ticket requirements by allowing "free dining" to be purchased with a TWO-DAY minimum ticket already.
Their design, their numbers.

AND, they allow ticket upgrades (after the first 4 days) at a rate of $8 per day (their numbers, they designed it.)

Simply getting those "extra days" on the front end doesn't change anything on the bottom line.

I"m not saying I agree with it, I'm just guessing that's Disney's reasoning. I don't think it should matter when you pick up your tickets. I agree with YOU.
If I pay for 6 day tickets and 3 nights, I don't think Disney should give a hoot when I use those extra 3 days, whether it's before or after my check in.

Well, then perhaps you should clarify. Because you specifically said guest relations calls. Not IM, not email, not whatever.

Now I get that you're defensive because nobody believes you (and with good reason, you don't have any cred here) but seriously, if you're right we'll all find out soon and I'm sure apologies will be in order.

Until then, stop digging your hole deeper. Being snarky isn't going to win you any support either.

reported personal attack

Here's an update, for what it's worth...

I just got off the phone with a CM from the "877" number we have to use as agents. I told her about the big dicussion on this subject. She said "yes, previously you could pick up the tickets in advance but NOW, I have worked the passed three days and EVERY DAY we have received the same e-mail reminding us to let the guests know that they CANNOT pick up tickets until their package starts."

She also said "This must be a pretty important message because they continue to send it to us daily."

That's what I know for now........

Here's an update, for what it's worth...

I just got off the phone with a CM from the "877" number we have to use as agents. I told her about the big dicussion on this subject. She said "yes, previously you could pick up the tickets in advance but NOW, I have worked the passed three days and EVERY DAY we have received the same e-mail reminding us to let the guests know that they CANNOT pick up tickets until their package starts."

She also said "This must be a pretty important message because they continue to send it to us daily."

That's what I know for now........

Awesome.

Well I'm going to continue to hold out hope that we can still pick up tickets early until we actually hear from someone who has not been allowed to. I guess I'll have to come up with a backup plan for my first day.

Well, I intended to pay out of pocket of a table service meal in the MK that night. I guess I can spend that money somewhere else.

Well, I intended to pay out of pocket of a table service meal in the MK that night. I guess I can spend that money somewhere else.

I also intended to stay 2 nights prior at AKL on CL and purchase meals oop at the parks, Jiko...that's a lot of extra dough to lose over not having access to MY tickets in hand that I paid FULL price for. :headache:

The restriction is unfair considering every other ticket is allowed to be picked up early.

Sorry, this has me very upset. :mad:

If this is indeed a policy that is now going to be enforced, I'm seriously frustrated by it. I changed our park tickets from 8 to 9 days already. We were going to pick them up on Saturday even though our package starts on Sunday. If this turns out to be true and we can't pick them up early, I'm already out the extra $21.30. Not a huge amount by any means, but I would not have changed the number of days if I had been told this earlier. I sure hope that this new info is incorrect!!!!!

reported personal attack

That was a personal attack?

I understand, and I respect him too. I learned a lot from his posts when I was a new CM. This isn't really a policy change though, it's a policy that will be more strictly enforced. If I could give you my Hub info, so that you could sign in and see it for yourself, I would. But I can't.

What happens when you follow this?

I would suggest you copy down the following information if you are planning to upgrade promotional tickets. If the person in the window is hesitant to upgrade these promotional tickets, ask them go go into The Hub >> WDW >> Work >> Ticketing >> Processes & Business Rules >> Early Ticket Pickup For Resort Packages where they will see the procedure.

... people have figured out a way to obtain free dining when they're aren't actually arriving on the free dining dates.

Huh? If a person arrives early and gets a room-only, they are paying MORE to WDW. If they are getting their tickets early, they are going into the parks EARLIER, they are going for MORE days, they are there with souvenirs crying out to them for even MORE days. They are dining, at FULL cost, for those days of the room-only reservation, when they have tickets to be in the parks, as well.

If this policy is changed (I'm having a hard time with the idea of it being an unenforced policy considering that CF gives us the way to help a CM get to the policy via their Hub), those people will NOT stay onsite, they will NOT be looking at souvenirs in the parks, they will NOT be dining at WDW. They will go to any of the OTHER places in Orlando.

This is going to LOSE WDW money.

Simply getting those "extra days" on the front end doesn't change anything on the bottom line.

And IMO hurts it.

Do it! Stay there one night, go for two days. If you stay onsite there you get their awesome Express Pass plus, you get Early Entrance to Wizarding World...and their resorts are very nice. We were fabulously surprised at how very much we adored Universal. :goodvibes

Agreed. I'm not mad (a bit frustrated maybe), but I am also not willing to pay $500 for two extra sets of park tickets, which would void the $500 savings we had with Free Dining. We will also be spending our first three days off Disney property if we cannot pick up our park tickets early. There is plenty to do in and around Orlando to keep us busy for three days and then we'd still have 6 days of Disney.

Anyway, waiting patiently here too!

When I called yesterday and split my package, the CM told me it could be done, but not at the resort, we had to go to the park GR or DTD GR. We have the military room only discount with dining our first night, but I need my tickets.

If this new policy is in place, I will probably just cancel that first night and the one extra day of tickets, which will loose Disney $205 from the package alone, and I would have spent money in other areas, because we don't stay off site, nor go to other parks. I am sure they don't care about that little amount, but I can put it to better use, don't know where yet, but I can.

I guess if enough people cancel or go somewhere else for those few days prior, they will change that policy back.

When I called yesterday and split my package, the CM told me it could be done, but not at the resort, we had to go to the park GR or DTD GR. We have the military room only discount with dining our first night, but I need my tickets.

If this new policy is in place, I will probably just cancel that first night and the one extra day of tickets, which will loose Disney $205 from the package alone, and I would have spent money in other areas, because we don't stay off site, nor go to other parks. I am sure they don't care about that little amount, but I can put it to better use, don't know where yet, but I can.

I guess if enough people cancel or go somewhere else for those few days prior, they will change that policy back.

Perhaps this is the key! Maybe you are not able to pick up tickets early at the resort anymore but you can still do it at Guest relations in the parks. CF's ticket stickey does mention you may or may not be able to pick up tickets at the resort, but you can definately pick them up at any Guest Relations area. I would assume the CMs at CRO might not know about this difference?

Perhaps this is the key! Maybe you are not able to pick up tickets early at the resort anymore but you can still do it at Guest relations in the parks. CF's ticket stickey does mention you may or may not be able to pick up tickets at the resort, but you can definately pick them up at any Guest Relations area. I would assume the CMs at CRO might not know about this difference?

Maybe so. I knew I had read here that this could be done, never tried it myself, so I asked her and she said as far as she knew you could do it at GR, just not at the resort. Then I came over to CF sticky, which confirmed what she told me.

There was also something else about not being able to do it if you were staying off property prior (not sure on the exact wording on that one), which I can understand, but we are still at Pop for the entire 7 nights. That may change if we can't pull them for one day.

If this is indeed a policy that is now going to be enforced, I'm seriously frustrated by it. I changed our park tickets from 8 to 9 days already. We were going to pick them up on Saturday even though our package starts on Sunday. If this turns out to be true and we can't pick them up early, I'm already out the extra $21.30. Not a huge amount by any means, but I would not have changed the number of days if I had been told this earlier. I sure hope that this new info is incorrect!!!!!

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking you can get that refunded if you have to. And I most assuredly would, based on principle of nothing else.

Is anyone else worried that we haven't heard from Cheshire Figment on this? I will believe whatever his official word is on the issue.

Please, magically reappear and tell us things will be OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter