Picky Eaters

SWMJ

Earning My Ears
Hello All!

My family and I are just weeks away from our first Disney cruise and I'm wondering about dining. We plan to take our kids with us (ages 4 and 6) to whatever restaurant we are assigned each night, but our kids are rather stubborn when it comes to food. My 6 year old is at least open to trying new things, but my 4 year old is stuck on grilled cheese or peanut butter and jelly. Forcing the issue will likely result in an unpleasant dining experience for us and whomever our table mates may be. Will we be able to order either of those items at the restaurant or should we have our youngest one grab a bite prior to dining?

Thanks for your help!

We have been on two cruises with our son who is a picky eater - once when he was 5 and this year at 7. You can order the uncrustables (peanut butter and jelly) at every meal if you want. They wil bring you extras if you ask; to have on hand in your fridge in your room. Anything can be made without “sauce” and grilled cheese sandwiches were available any time we asked as well. Thank goodness we were able to get a lot of fresh fruit into him as well. I would not worry about finding enough for them to eat. You can also order anything off of the adult menu for them.

Don't forget that, even if you order the uncrustables, you can also order something else from the kids menu that you think your little one might be open to. Then there's the option to try something new, but still have that fallback for them. The servers want your kids to enjoy themselves. They are very good.

They day you board there will be an area set up to make dining changes and special requests. It will be in one of the restaurants or bars. The location will be listed in the Navigator (schedule) that you will receive when you check in.
You may want to go and let them know. It will help them provide what you need. The first night of the cruise is especially crazy.
Disney wants everyone to be happy with their dinner.

Thank you all for your replies! I'm hoping my youngest will be willing to branch out, but I'm glad to know there's an option when he (likely) won't.

They might surprise you! I have one, who is getting better as he gets older, but will still do goofy things like try to pick flecks of herbs out of tomato sauce. And hates anything "chunky". He eats burgers, pizza, and ice cream on deck for every lunch. But sit him down at the MDRs for dinner, and he's suddenly eating soup with "chunks" of vegetables and dishes off the adult menu that he'd NEVER eat at home. I think it's because it's a risk-free situation - he knows if he dislikes it, more is coming and will be available on deck later, so he eats without thinking too much.

My littlest guy first cruised when he was only two. He’s always been a pretty healthy eater, thanks to his mom - lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Nothing on the kids’ menu - mac & cheese, chicken tenders, cheese pizza, etc. - really appealed to him.

So we asked our server Ashang if there was any way we could please get just some cut-up bananas and strawberries instead of ordering off the menu. Sure enough, every dinner on that cruise, and even dinner on our subsequent cruises, Ashang had a bowl of cut-up bananas and strawberries waiting for my son when we were seated.

Ashang is awesome. But I’d nonetheless bet that most lead servers would have been just as accommodating.

We were able to get buttered noodles for all 7 nights on our trip at dinner time. You are not alone.
Lots of people are in your situation. Enjoy your trip:flower3:

My 4 year old is crazy picky too. I ended up ordering him the slow roasted chicken breast off the adult lighter fare menu most nights with a side of fries. He likes plain chicken so that worked but he didn't actually eat all that much at dinner. He had plenty to eat throughout the day and I made sure to bring snacks on board that he likes. Also I'd always grab some bananas and sealed containers of fruit loops, etc. from cabanas to have on hand.

Do not fear...he will find something to eat. On my first cruise, my picky eater ate macaroni every day. On our 4th cruise, he tried lobster!!! The fact that they get to "try", makes it awesome for them.

Of course, after every cruise my youngest is convinced that he can order 5 different things at every food court...

My daughter is a picky eater too. She ate butter noodles every night at dinner. The kids menu was not enough for her to eat. She just turned 11. So they gave her the adult portion.

I am also a picky eater and it was worse on the cruise as I was also sea sick. I got a plain steak every night. The servers were great and worked with both of us.

My oldest son is usually fairly open minded on what he eats. We only had one problem on the last cruise where he tried something and REALLY didn't like it. (I took a small bite; it was properly prepared but just had too strong a flavor.) Head server noticed there was a problem, and less than 2 minutes later the chicken breast with rice that my son requested as a substitute showed up. (For those who wonder why you tip the Head Server, it is for times like this where you get a problem resolved before you even realize there was a problem.) On the other hand, my youngest son is a very picky eater. He wanted the pizza that was served out at the places near the pool each night. When the servers found out that he was eating his dinner main course before coming in to the MDR they offered to have that pizza brought in each night. One of the reasons that people pay extra for the Disney Cruise Line over other options is that the service is above and beyond what you would expect.

One of the reasons that people pay extra for the Disney Cruise Line over other options is that the service is above and beyond what you would expect.

While I appreciate that you were (correctly) impressed with this level of service on DCL, I would ask what other lines you have cruised ...... ?

Because the service you describe is typical of the 'cruise experience' and not unique to Disney ... I mention this from the perspective of cruising MANY lines over MANY years. Disney DID write the book on cruise service to kids but other lines have fought hard to catch up (some better than others). But the "if we got it we'll bring it, don't like it we'll replace it, try this and this" is pretty common to the cruise experience in general. Like the 'weird' tipping policies it is a cruise culture thing .....

Once the kids grow up, try another line. You just might be surprised ...... p.s. if willing to pay DCL prices look at what else you can cruise for the same $$!

One granddaughter (11) is the pickiest of the picky. Only ate grilled cheese sandwiches (crustless), spaghetti plain (nothing, not even butter), plain broccoli and cut up fruit in rotation every night. Now, deserts are not a problem...funniest thing! Mickey Bars and almost anything else served were consumed by her. Lived through it, is skinny as a rail and is almost taller than her big sister...go figure!! Now, all 12 of us are going on a short 5-day out of San Diego in March. I will then ask for the "gray stuff" and see if she will give it a try. Stay tuned...

When we went on our first cruise my daughter was a vegetarian (but is no longer). They really went out of their way and made her portabella mushrooms almost every night since she really liked them.

What do you do at home for dinner? Or if you go out? My 4 year old can be picky as well and I know that vacation would probably not be the time to plant a stake in the ground about it. But maybe there’s things he eats at home that might be available. Chicken? Pizza? Fries? Pasta?

OP, your picky kid sounds like my picky kid. My kid eats fruit, bread and cheese (though he is flexible on whether the bread and cheese comes in the form of pizza, grilled cheese, quesadilla, etc). On our last cruise, our servers made suggestions for special items they could bring DS from elsewhere on the ship. Until you posted this question, though, I had no idea the extent of the "off-menu" items available for picky children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter