** Picture of the Day 3 **

Buck Canyon Overlook; Colorado River Basin; Canyonlands NP

IMG_3799ed1-XL.jpg

Took this at the local butterfly center. Back in the old days, this black background look was a popular style of macro photography. It is the result of using a ring flash to light your subject and not taking care to balance the flash with the ambient light. That was harder to do when you were more limited by ISO. You don't see it much anymore because it doesn't look as natural. I decided to do a "retro-style" butterfly shoot intentionally exposing only for my subject.

In this case, I used a 5DM4 with a 100mm macro. I was at f/13, 1/160s, and ISO 1600. I shot in AV mode with 3 stops of underexposure dialed in. I think I used a Yonguo YN24EX flash, which is a knock-off of the Canon macro flash. I think I'm going back again next week and I'm experimenting with ways to get more magnification. I want to do a series of butterfly "headshots".

Congrats to her and her proud family!

THANK YOU! ☺ We are on "Cloud 9" :cloud9: that she's been given this opportunity as a Number 1 recruit as well as being accepted into the Honors Program. The absolute best part is she'll be staying in Texas; still 3 1/2 hours away from home but better than a 3 1/2 hour plane trip away! ::yes:::yay::tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!