Pictures of Disney going Service Animals

Shanka

Earning My Ears
I thought it would be fun to start a picture thread of service animals who have been or are going to Disney. We didn't meet anyone else in the parks with a dog, but at Animal Kingdom we were told that our daughter's service dog "River" was one of three dogs in the park that day. So, please share your pictures. I just love seeing service animals!

Disney2009167.jpg

Disney2009158-1.jpg

This past week there were several other SDs at Disney (other than mine, I mean). I didn't have the chance to talk with any of the other handlers, just saw them from a distance or a friend saw them. Actually, the husband of the handler of a small SD came in to say hi while we were waiting to be seated at Le Cellier. (I guess he saw my SD laying at my feet through the window? It was several minutes after I'd arrived.)

I saw a golden/yellow dog in the wheelchair area of the same MK train we were on from Toontown to the front of the park. I saw a black dog waiting at the exit of AK - he was laying down on the ground, then a minute later I looked back again and he was gone. I am sure I saw another one, but can't recall what color it was or where it was.

We were just there 2/9-2/12 and saw at least 3 in that time frame. One was small and we didn't get a good look from a distance, one looked like the picture in the first post and one looked like a cockapoo.

OMG!!! I was there 2/9-2/12 (infact, I'm still here...), and my dog looks like a cockapoo. :D
n1192878403_331702_4736.jpg

n1192878403_333046_3176.jpg

n1192878403_335051_8080.jpg

OMG!!! I was there 2/9-2/12 (infact, I'm still here...), and my dog looks like a cockapoo. :D

Will you still be there this weekend? I am planning and extremely impromptu trip to the World and will be there Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday! :)

If I see you...will you be freaked out if I come say hi?! :)

Here is a recent picture of "Broadway" while we visited Conservation Station and met our conscience.

broadwayjimmy.jpg

maroo: We'll be working in the BouTiki at the Polynesian Resort on Friday and Saturday from 8:30am - 2:15pm. After work we usually go to MK because it's so close. I'd love if you came up to say hi :)

Hijacking thread for 1 minute:)
Hubby surprised me with a 2 day trip this weekend ( 2/21-2/22) for our anniversary
I am hoping we can run into a few friend- will it be ok if I see anyone to say hi too?

Thanks for posting these pictures! I love them!:love:
My son will be receiving an Autism Service Dog in August. We are AP Holders at DLR. I can't wait to bring our new family addition to the parks! :cool1:

I love this thread! I will definitely show it to my DD, 12. We are in the process of applying for a service dog/canine companion for her. We will be traveling to Orlando in the next few weeks for our interview with one program! Wish her luck! She is SSSOOO excited! She will love seeing these pictures...especially the one with the SD waiting to go on TSM! ;)

I can't wait to show these pictures to the person who was traveling with Jack and I. She has a cockapoo and that's why we recognized that dog.
(In fact we bought souveniers to bring home to our pets. :rotfl: )

There was a time when my dog was younger that we were going through a Therapy Dog program for the retirement community where I worked. But that was a million years ago...in dog years. :laughing:
He's a 16 yo giant papillon.

I really admire service dogs and their owners. I think dogs like having a job.

Ah, Broadway is beautiful! Was a sweet dog! I know that River LOVES working. Since we have been home Asia has put her Mickey Mouse hat on a few times. Every time she does River runs and gets her leash and jacket. Sadly, we are way up here in Canada and can't just go to Disney for a few days. She loved it there. I hope we can take her back someday.

My experiences with SD's are at Science Fiction Conventions. Sadly I have no pictures...

Side Note to River's owners...I think I met you at Universal. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DOG! I'm one of the employees there and answered some questions you had about River and the Animal Show.

Hi everyone these picture are wonderful, I was wondering if its not to personal would you mind explaining how the service dogs work. My DD10 has seen them before and asked me why someone had one. I can explain to her about seeing eye dogs but not any other kind. I don't want to give her the wrong information or just make something up. I want her to understand that these dogs are there for a reason. I really appreciate the help. :goodvibes

TIA
Melissa

Budmonster, there are many different kinds of SDs. Some alert to the onset of their human's medical condition, such as seizures or diabetic highs/lows. Some help a person with laundry, retrieving items off the floor or low places, or even helping the person get their wheelchair up an incline. Some guide blind/visually impaired people around obstacles, streets, stores, etc. Some alert to sounds for people who are deaf or hearing impaired. I just read a news article yesterday about a girl who just got a dog who sniffs out peanut traces (and keeps her away from them) because she is deathly allergic to even the tiniest traces of peanuts in soil, on people's hands, in a cabinet in the same room, etc.

My dog helps me walk by doing a series of mobility tasks, retrieves items I've dropped, retrieves items that are out of reach (when I'm in pain or need to reserve my energy so can't get up to get them), and several other helpful things that are associated with my particular disabilities. She loves her job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter