Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg pics. Feel free to add yours.

Bumping this thread up because we are planning to hike in GSMNP and we need to bring the RV (I am hoping Mallory is still with us, so day hiking it will be). We have been searching different campgrounds and have landed on three, but one is in North Carolina. The other two are very close to each other. One is Greenbrier Campground and the other is Twin Creek RV resort. I think we are leaning towards Greenbrier but thought someone, @2goofycampers, might have an opinion for us. The main thing is we want to hike and we need good internet. Greenbrier seems closer to hiking and Twin Creek seems closer to Gatlinburg. I am trying to eliminate one of the two in TN, so that I can then choose between NC or TN. Though probably leaning towards the TN one we pick.

We have never been to any of those. We bring our own internet so I can't help with that. The only hiking we did was Dollywood. :) I am looking forward to some hiking pictures. Praying for Mallory.

We have never been to any of those. We bring our own internet so I can't help with that. The only hiking we did was Dollywood. :) I am looking forward to some hiking pictures. Praying for Mallory.

So the cellular network is good up there. Is one better than the other? I have an AT&T phone and a Verizon, either can be used to hot spot if needed.

Yeah Mallory is struggling in front. She is just weak, but still engaged, wants to eat, and wants fun. It is a matter of how good mommy and daddy can continue to be at Mallory care.

A link to interactive hiking trail map: http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/map.htm

From our camping trip in 2017. Hiking trail to Laurel Falls. It's short, about 2 miles and paved so easy walking if you want one to get started on.
View attachment 413139

View attachment 413141

View attachment 413142

View attachment 413149

View attachment 413150

Good pics. Were just there again a few weeks ago. Lots of rain this year and the falls are huge - would be flowing over where your girls are sitting!!! Beautiful, though - in fact, before we left Elkmont, would probably have been flowing over the viewing area there! :eek: Truly love the TN side of mountains.

@North of Mouse where do you like to stay?

We usually stay one week in Elkmont Campground (inside park). It has a river running through it for tubing, wading, sitting beside, swimming. Not too deep most places - just beautiful with the lovely sound of water running over rocks. The catcher?? No hookups in National Park - dry camping only - paved roads, sites. Lots of hiking to do, also we bike mostly inside campground. (oh, my, I'm sounding like a ad for them, lol)

If we stay longer than a week, we'll usually stay at a commercial campground near Gatlinburg a few days before/after. (Mt. Le Conte Outdoor Resort 3 miles east of Gatlinburg on Hwy. 321.) Don't let the name fool you - it's small, but very attractive, quiet, neat as a pin - not what I'd consider a resort, but does have a pool.

We usually stay one week in Elkmont Campground (inside park). It has a river running through it for tubing, wading, sitting beside, swimming. Not too deep most places - just beautiful with the lovely sound of water running over rocks. The catcher?? No hookups in National Park - dry camping only - paved roads, sites. Lots of hiking to do, also we bike mostly inside campground. (oh, my, I'm sounding like a ad for them, lol)
Love Elkmont!!! I never do RV camping, but there is great backcountry sites not far from Elkmont. That whole area is one of my favorites in the park

Riveredge in Pigeon Forge at light #10. It's nice, tight sites. Right on the Parkway. We are leaving today.
We were at Riveredge in Pigeon Forge at the end of September. I have to say that we did not love it. The campground is not gated, a public road runs right through the campground, and the road noise from the main drag in Pigeon Forge was truly awful. The pool area was nice but you cannot get to the river at all as it is right beside the main drag and you would have to go down a steep hill to get to it. It was cheap though. I think with our Good Sam discount it only cost around $40 a night. And because it is right off the main road in Pigeon Forge, it is convenient to everything in PF. It's just loud and the sites are tight.

Our big problem was that we did not like Pigeon Forge, except for Dollywood. We loved Dollywood and had a blast there. Tons of very fun coasters, uncrowded, and we had literally zero wait for anything, even though they were having their fall lights festival thing, which was very cool. The rest of Pigeon Forge reminded us of Myrtle Beach and was not our thing at all, save for the Old Mill restaurant which we enjoyed. Gatlinburg was packed the weekend we were there. We paid $15 to park in a lot and left after an hour and a half because it was literally wall to wall people. Besides Dollywood, we did like Clingman's Dome and Cade's Cove a lot and of course the Smokies are beautiful, especially if you enjoy hiking.

Last edited:
Patience,

I think Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is sort of an acquired taste. If you like the "over the top" tourist trap glitzy, it certainly has that to offer. It also has a lot of hidden gems in and around. As for Riveredge, I agree. It felt crowded tight and an actual town road running through the middle is odd. I don't think I would fit in there with my 42 ft 5er and long bed dually. We found a nice little cg just up from the "strip". Pine Mountain RV Park. It runs along side Mill Creek. Nice paved sites with trees and grass. We like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Pine Mountain is only a few blocks from all that, but you don't see or hear any of it. Gatlinburg is a great place to wander and enjoy the shops and scenery, but not during a Fall weekend when people are out. And then there is the "park". The Great Smokey Mountain National Park is the most visited national park in the country, but a morning mid-week drive through the park is incredible. That's why I go to the area. We stay closer to shopping and restaurants (we are mostly sized out of the park cgs- 30ft limit), but spend most of our time in the park.

Here are a couple of pics of Pine Mountain RV Park.

20160805_113318-816x459.jpg

20160805_113238-816x459.jpg20160805_113417-816x648.jpg

j

Last edited:
If your more interested in the National Park than the tourist area look into Townsend, TN. Townsend calls itself the quiet side of the Smokies. There are several campgrounds for all budgets, my family spent many summers at the KOA(even before it was a KOA).

We are considering a trip back to the Smokies this spring. I am thinking that we might spend a few days on the North Carolina side of the park and then head on over to the Tennessee side. Has anyone ever camped on the eastern side? If so, any places you would suggest visiting or camping?

Thanks.

Actually @Teamubr, the RV units size limits in the Smoky Mtn. Park Campgrounds is 40'. Those sites are limited, but we've definitely seen and camped by units that long at Elkmont. We are 35' and have lots of choices. Cades Cove will handle longer units also. It's so much more pleasant and quiet there vs. the private campgrounds on the drag in Pigeon Forge. We only go there for restaurants and then, never on the weekends.

NofM,

I was going off the link below. I saved this site a number of years ago when I still had my old 30ft trailer. It looks like the longest trailer allowed is 35 ft (Cades Cove and Smokemont). Elkmont is listed as 32 ft. The new trailer is 42 ft, so it won't fit anywhere. Same when I was looking at Rocky Mountain NP.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/frontcountry-camping.htm

j

@Teamubr, sorry, wasn't clear - I meant RV's up to 40', says trailers 35'. Not sure how to copy and paste a site, but got this from the National Parks RV length limit charts - this came from Outdoors RV. For sure, lots of campgrounds cannot accept that length, but they do in Elkmont and Cades Cove. We've not stayed in Smokemont as we prefer TN side.

@Teamubr, sorry, wasn't clear - I meant RV's up to 40', says trailers 35'.
You're right. There are some longer sites at Cades Cove and Elkmont, but not a lot. I'd hate to drive 8 hours there and find out I can't get in, so I stick to the private places. Next trip I am going to find a place closer to the park though. Last trip we spent most of our time there and not in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!