Pigeon Forge/ Gatlinburg pics. Feel free to add yours.

We like up the creek. It is in pigeon forge but not right on 321 or 441. Getting to the close side of GSMNP is only 40 minutes. Sites are not super close together. Small only 50 sites or so and no amenities but it’s pretty nice. We said we would come back if we did decide to come back. Might try the NC side of the park next time.

You're right. There are some longer sites at Cades Cove and Elkmont, but not a lot. I'd hate to drive 8 hours there and find out I can't get in, so I stick to the private places. Next trip I am going to find a place closer to the park though. Last trip we spent most of our time there and not in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.

j

I don't recommend the CGs in Gatlinburg. Three of them I believe. One was very nice, but very small and tight. Twin Creek I believe. Other two were not very impressive at all.

I've driven through campgrounds in Townsend and they appeared nice. I know @SouthAlabama5er stayed on Wears Valley Road and liked it, but not sure which campground.

Again, I stay at Rivers Edge, but NOT on the street close to the river, that is where the trolley comes through. If you move over one more lane it's pretty quiet and shaded. I posted some pics in a TR back in 2017, page 2 I believe.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/tiggerdad-is-heading-to-the-smokies-yall-come.3619609/
Also, Rivers Landing is right next to it and I drove through it also, looked really nice as well. Both campgrounds use same access road. Main point is they are on the edge of Pigeon Forge, which means if you are heading to Gatlinburg or the GSMNP, you only have one traffic light to deal with.

Thanks Michael.

I found a great place in Pigeon Forge, Pine Mountain RV Park. It is up the road behind Shoney's. Paved sites, grass, a nice little creek you can camp on. It has a pool, but you can also use the pool and lazy river at the hotel across the street (at least you could in 2016). The only problem is the distance to TGSMNP.

I saw there are several places on 321 going east out of Gatlinburg. Twin Rivers, Camp LeConte Luxury Outdoor Resort, Camping in the Smokies, Greenbrier Campground. I didn't drive out that way and Google street view doesn't show too much.

Townsend would be great if we only wanted to do park stuff. We drove through that way when we went over to Hwy 129 to run the Dragon (in the dually :oops:- think Ken Black in very slow motion. And Yes, you can drift a dually :hyper:) I think Townsend would be a little far from the shopping and the strip in Gatlinburg for DW and DS.

It will probably be another year before we get back to the Smokies. Next year is The DIS Meet and we are going back to St Thomas in June. Not sure how much time DW can take off work.

j

We stayed in Pigeon Forge a few years ago at Foothills RV Park. I was a bit worried when we first arrived, because it appeared to sit right on the main road. BUT, we drove up the campground road to a quiet camping area. We also drove by Pine Mountain, which looked great. We are planning to go back this coming spring, and will stay at one of these two campgrounds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!