Pin Trading for the first time this trip - lanyard?

entirelysplendid

Earning My Ears
Hello! My 9 year old is excited about pin trading during our upcoming trip, but we are all new to trading. The whole family would like to participate and I want to make sure we are all set up before we get there --- to that end, I need some lanyard advice. Does anyone have a recomendation for good lanyards that would work for holding/trading pins? Are lanyards the best way to carry pins for trading? I have found some Disney branded ones on Amazon and the Disney Shop site, but I am thinking that there might be a better (non branded) version that traders recommend?

While my daughter is super excited about trading, she is also a little nervous about talking to cast members --- is any cast member available to trade pins or should we keep a look out for special cast members? Any advice would be welcome. Thank you!! :earsboy:

I used to use a lanyard but I found it irritating. Depending on what pins are on it, it can get quiet heavy and irritate the back of the neck.

I still put my trading pins on a lanyard but I keep it in a small baggie. I only take it out if I see a pin I would like

Pin trading has somewhat died down in the last number of years due to the influx of cheap fake pins. As a result, the best time to do pin trading, which will have the best selection is in the morning, before 12pm. After this, you will find the same pins on pin boards and on CM lanyards, as any good quality pins have been snapped up.

Pin trading can be done with ANY CM who has a pin lanyard. The most obvious ones are CM's in shops or at attractions. There are pin trading boards in some shops.. Whenever you go into a shop, have a look at the till / pay here station. The pin boards if they have them, are usually on a shelf behind the till or beside the till. The most fun ones to trade with are the non obvious CM's like managers or executives, who walk the parks. Stay away from the professional traders, most of them wont want to trade with kids or if they do they most likely will ask you to buy a specific pin to trade for one of their pins. The professional traders are the ones sitting at a table with books of pins.

When you see a CM with pins, go up to them and ask " May I see Your Pins?" The CM will then show you their pins. If you like a pin they have, point it out, and say, I would like to trade this one please. You then give them one of your pins and they will give you the pin you asked for. If the pin you receive has a back, then the pin you give must have a back.

I used to use a lanyard but I found it irritating. Depending on what pins are on it, it can get quiet heavy and irritate the back of the neck.

I still put my trading pins on a lanyard but I keep it in a small baggie. I only take it out if I see a pin I would like

Pin trading has somewhat died down in the last number of years due to the influx of cheap fake pins. As a result, the best time to do pin trading, which will have the best selection is in the morning, before 12pm. After this, you will find the same pins on pin boards and on CM lanyards, as any good quality pins have been snapped up.

Pin trading can be done with ANY CM who has a pin lanyard. The most obvious ones are CM's in shops or at attractions. There are pin trading boards in some shops.. Whenever you go into a shop, have a look at the till / pay here station. The pin boards if they have them, are usually on a shelf behind the till or beside the till. The most fun ones to trade with are the non obvious CM's like managers or executives, who walk the parks. Stay away from the professional traders, most of them wont want to trade with kids or if they do they most likely will ask you to buy a specific pin to trade for one of their pins. The professional traders are the ones sitting at a table with books of pins.

When you see a CM with pins, go up to them and ask " May I see Your Pins?" The CM will then show you their pins. If you like a pin they have, point it out, and say, I would like to trade this one please. You then give them one of your pins and they will give you the pin you asked for. If the pin you receive has a back, then the pin you give must have a back.

Oh thank you! This is just the information I needed. I was concerned about wearing the lanyards all day so your suggestion of carrying it in a baggie is great. We get to the parks early, so it sounds like we will try trading when we first arrive. Best of all, I shared your example of how to ask for pins and my daughter is feeling so much better about asking now --- thank you again --- I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

@entirelysplendid you are welcome.

I wouldnt bother asking park guests about pin trading. You will see many people wearing pin lanyards, but these are basically the look at me, Im an AP member and I come here all the time people. They show off their pins to distinguish themselves from the "tourists" and the non AP people.

The only time I trade with park guests is if I see someone looking at a pin board. I wait until they are finished and then I say, "excuse me, I saw you looking at the pin board, would you like to trade with me" Most times people do, as the pin boards dont really have what they are looking for. In that case I usually offer my pins for the other person to see first. Then they usually off their pins for me to look at. Sometimes we trade, sometimes we dont.

A few times I have traded with kids who have been looking at the pin boards. I always speak to the adult with them first, and ask would your child like to trade pins with me. Most times the kids are delighted to find an adult doing pin trading, as its often thought of as something for children. I have even given tips about pin trading to some moms, who were very appricitive that I took the time to trade with their kids.

IMG_1180.PNG My son traded for the first time at 11 and had so much fun! The obsession has never ended! He actually took his pins to college! She will have a marvelous time! Bring a pouch or something to keep it in when it gets tiresome! My son's first trade was with a custodian. I tried to stop him because I hated for him to interrupt the man. I'm glad I didn't. They had a fifteen minute conversation about pins and pin trading. The custodian was so kind and interesting! My son also stopped some suits walking through the parks. Three WDW executives stopped happily to pin trade.

Stay away from the professional traders, most of them wont want to trade with kids or if they do they most likely will ask you to buy a specific pin to trade for one of their pins. The professional traders are the ones sitting at a table with books of pins.

I disagree with this. While it is true that there have been some bad apples in pin trading circles who cause issues for everyone (hence the removal of the pin trading tables at the Marketplace years ago), I have found that many of the table traders at Epcot I have met over the years enjoy meeting new traders and discussing their collections.

Some of them even have a selection of traders they use specifically for kids just starting out.

I am a rookie :D My first time trading was last week. I’m 62 and was a bit nervous on the first trade but the cast member was great! She even went into the back of the building and came out with a special Goofy pin (I am focusing on Goofy and Grumpy) as pixie dust! The cast members with pin lanyards or holders are very accessible and seem to enjoy the interaction. There are also special pin ‘boards’ in some of the shops that you may have to ask to see. You can find a list of them on Google. Also, Disney Springs and the resorts also have pins. At the resorts, just ask the concierge.

My most memorable trade was with a young girl, maybe about 5. Her older brothers had asked to look at my pins and Imentioned that I was looking for Goofy and Grumpy. I didn’t have anything that the boys were interested in, but the girl held out a Goofy pin and asked if I would like to trade. She seemed hesitant so I asked her if she was sure and she thought about it. Her mom was there and said “You’re collecting Minnie pins and he has one that you don’t have” so I showed it to her and she decided to do the trade. She was so cute, and I asked again if she was sure, and she had a big smile and said “Yes!”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!