Pittsburgh to Orlando, March 2-3

VolvoManiac850

Let's Go Bucs
The title says it all. We're doing a do-over of our honeymoon since my wife wasn't feeling great for some of the trip.

However, the airline prices are HORRENDOUS. Yes, we planned this thing kind of last minute (admittedly I booked the Yacht Club for a night while getting ready to check out of OKW...on my phone...) and we have just a few weeks until departure. I can't get anything under $1200 for round trip for both of us since we missed out on all the "wanna get away" prices and NEED to have early flights in/late flights out to maximize a day. That's not even counting airport parking or a rental car.

So we came up with an idea that is either brilliant or awful depending how you look at it. Why not...drive?

Now I've driven to Orlando before, but it was part of a much larger trip where I was in Atlanta for a conference that I brought a ton of stuff to in my car. Since Disney is about 7 hours from there, I was like "why not?" and went down. It's not the best road trip in the world, but I made it work and I have a relatively new car (3.5 years) in good shape.

Here's my worry...what kind of weather should I expect the first week of March going down? I don't really want to get stuck in a snowstorm in WV/VA or something. My car is a 2WD Acura without snow tires (my other car is an ancient Honda Civic that does have snow tires, but I don't know if I want to take that one 2000 miles round trip).
EDIT: my namesake Volvo, sadly, is no longer around...should point that out...

Also, let's look at where to stay going in. I have a lot of Hilton points so any Hilton or Hilton-owned property (Doubletree, etc) is fine by me. My initial thought was to stay in Charlotte, since I know the city, but I also realize that's like 8-9 hours out of WDW. I can drive 12-13 hours in a day without an issue so I was thinking of taking a break in Charlotte on the way down, then going somewhere in GA/FL that's maybe 4 hours out of WDW so we can get in before noon the next day.

Big questions here...
1. Should I be super concerned about the weather and maybe plan on going a different route than WV going in? It's March 2-3 for reference.
2. What would be a good stopping point that's about 4 hours out of WDW for the drive in and also for the drive back home?
3. Are there any current major projects going on with I-95, I-26, I-77, or I-79? (I'd ask about I-4 but we all know it's a disaster).

Last edited:
We will be making the drive a few days later, and did so a couple years ago same week. Five years ago we made the drive in January (albeit we went to Alabama before Orlando so not quite the same drive but still down through WV). I wouldn’t necessarily worry about the weather, but of course anything is possible. One good thing is really it’s only the first quarter of the drive you really have to worry about I’d say. Once you get past West Virginia (Beckley area) unless a freak storm shouldn’t have any issues. We always hit a little snow, but luckily it’s been nothing major or even more than a dusting on the road (hoping I don’t jinx myself here).

We stopped last time in Rock Hill on both going and coming since it was about half way. It was a nice area. This year on the way down we are stopping in Walterboro SC. It’s about five and a half hours from Disney. So since you’d like to be a little closer I’d look around Savannah. On the way home Beckley is around four hours from Pittsburgh. Savannah area should have plenty of hotels, and while I know there are some in Beckley there won’t be as many options but I’ve never stayed in either area to recommend one.

No idea about the roads. If you come across any major headaches please reply as (like I mentioned) I’ll be following right behind you a couple days later.

March can be crazy weather wise. And it can be fine in one area and terrible in another. About 10 years ago, DD was playing in a softball tournament in Indianapolis (we're in Central Kentucky). The day we left, there was a tornado that went through Eastern Kentucky. On the way home (normally about a 3 1/2 hour drive), we hit a snow storm about an hour from home. I think it ended up taking us ~5 hours to get home.

I personally wouldn't plan a long drive in March unless I had to.

Have you looked at other airlines? Google flights is a good way to compare. google.com/flights.

Way back in ancient times when we drove the car down from MD we would stay in Kingsland GA. There is/was a Hampton Inn there right off of 95. (Isn't Hampton Inn a Hilton property?).
As far as other stops, normally a Hampton Inn in Fayetville, or Wilson, Dunn, Walterboro. Just depends on how far you want to go. You're way west of where we lived in the Westminster area so you can use 81 if you like. I don't know if I'd like being in the mountains if bad weather hit but keeping track of what's on the way could help you decide.
Finally, we were always on 95 past Richmond so I just looked for Hampton Inns on the way that kind of fit in our driving time. If I'm remembering correctly, we would push pretty hard on day 1 (always a Friday) to Kingsland GA which was a good 12 hours. Then a short 4 hours on Saturday. How long does it take to get from Pittsburgh to the MD line? Or about the same spot in WV? Don't know. FYI, we only flew one time in 20 years or so. Drove the rest.
Whatever you decide, best of luck! Oh, it's going to be sunny and mid 70s here today. We'll leave the light on...

Before you decided to drive

Price Spirit, out of PIT or LBE.

allegiant has a few flights a week, into SFB. If you served in military with honorable discharge on DD214 or DL indicates veteran; they have generous free luggage perks

PS Buckley, WV, is infamous for speed traps, heads up!

I've gone through the mountains south of Buckley at night, in the rain. NO THANK YOU!
true, you never know what you’re going to get with the mountains As to conditions. i generally take that route over skirting over to I-95 thru Winchester, VA etc. since it tends to cut an hour or so off any trip South for us from PIT. Doesn’t mean I like it Lol

true, you never know what you’re going to get with the mountains As to conditions. i generally take that route over skirting over to I-95 thru Winchester, VA etc. since it tends to cut an hour or so off any trip South for us from PIT. Doesn’t mean I like it Lol
I used it once going from Ky>NC. Trip there wasn't too bad, it was still daylight. Coming back it was dark and rainy. Trips after that, I went south on 75, then through Asheville. May have added 15-30 minutes, but just a little less stressful. :thumbsup2 Doesn't help coming from Pit, just my .02.

Outcome of our driving adventure...

I used to do a lot of road trips in my 20s. Back then, I had a 15 hour maximum. I learned the hard way that I'm not a 20-something anymore...

We thought we could go from Pittsburgh to Jacksonville in one day. We did, but were slowed by rain and my wife's small bladder. We left at 10AM and got in at...3AM. Let's just say I'm not doing that long of a drive ever again in one day.

Getting to WDW from Jacksonville the next day was a cinch. We drove back to Jacksonville on Sunday night after our Yacht Club stay. From there, we broke it up into two days...Jacksonville to Charlotte and Charlotte to Pittsburgh.

Neither of us particularly wanted to be stuck in the car after about 5-6 hours, so we're definitely flying next time we go to WDW. Hopefully we can book further in advance next time to snag some cheap Southwest tickets or something.

We did save a lot of money on this trip, even with the extra hotel night (booked last minute after Friday's disaster on the road). We brought a cooler full of food and replenished it a little at a grocery store in Charlotte. Our only real meals were Yachtsman, Flying Fish, and a quick bite at ABC Commissary.

Even if you have more than one driver, I'm not going to recommend it for anyone over the age of maybe 30 or so unless you make multiple stops.

When I went with my grandparents as a youngster, we stopped in Wytheville, VA and Walterboro, SC. That strategy probably would have worked for us to break it up a little better into approximately 5 hour spurts.

I used to do a lot of road trips in my 20s. Back then, I had a 15 hour maximum. I learned the hard way that I'm not a 20-something anymore...

We thought we could go from Pittsburgh to Jacksonville in one day. We did, but were slowed by rain and my wife's small bladder. We left at 10AM and got in at...3AM. Let's just say I'm not doing that long of a drive ever again in one day.

Getting to WDW from Jacksonville the next day was a cinch. We drove back to Jacksonville on Sunday night after our Yacht Club stay. From there, we broke it up into two days...Jacksonville to Charlotte and Charlotte to Pittsburgh.

Neither of us particularly wanted to be stuck in the car after about 5-6 hours, so we're definitely flying next time we go to WDW. Hopefully we can book further in advance next time to snag some cheap Southwest tickets or something.

We did save a lot of money on this trip, even with the extra hotel night (booked last minute after Friday's disaster on the road). We brought a cooler full of food and replenished it a little at a grocery store in Charlotte. Our only real meals were Yachtsman, Flying Fish, and a quick bite at ABC Commissary.

Even if you have more than one driver, I'm not going to recommend it for anyone over the age of maybe 30 or so unless you make multiple stops.

When I went with my grandparents as a youngster, we stopped in Wytheville, VA and Walterboro, SC. That strategy probably would have worked for us to break it up a little better into approximately 5 hour spurts.
Glad you had a nice trip!

Totally random, and not sure what part of Pittsburgh you are from, but my parents had the same - or very similar - 1995 Volvo. Bought it from Cummins Volvo in Canonsburg. Loved the headlight wipers!

We live in the Wheeling WV area. We’ve driven and flown, and to be honest, there’s pros and cons to both. Flying is not only more expensive, but it’s an ordeal anymore. Driving to Pittsburgh takes an hour to the airport, plus the 2 hour pre-flight time, 2 hour flight, baggage claim, then transport to the resort. It’s an all day affair.

My adult daughter and I are going in October and we’ve decided to drive. Last time we drove we stayed in Rock Hill. I always like to get beyond the Charlotte traffic. Since rooms often aren’t ready until 4:00 pm anyway at Disney, Rock Hill is far enough the first day for us.

Driving also gives us the added benefit of having our vehicle. We can stop at Walmart in Deltona for a few groceries for the studio, and leave the bubble to eat off property if we want. We also don’t have to worry about how much we pack or how many souvenirs we buy.

On the way home we usually drive farther the first day and stop in Beckley for the night. We’re always anxious to get home to see our doggies.

Even paying for a hotel on the trip down and trip back will save us significant money over airfare that we can spend at Disney. We tried the cheaper airlines, and won’t use them again. Driving just works for us.

Glad you had a nice trip!

Totally random, and not sure what part of Pittsburgh you are from, but my parents had the same - or very similar - 1995 Volvo. Bought it from Cummins Volvo in Canonsburg. Loved the headlight wipers!

Nice!! Mine was originally my grandparents' and was from P&W. It was a 1996 model. Sadly, it's no longer around, but it was an incredible car...and yes, I loved those wipers!!

My adult daughter and I are going in October and we’ve decided to drive. Last time we drove we stayed in Rock Hill. I always like to get beyond the Charlotte traffic. Since rooms often aren’t ready until 4:00 pm anyway at Disney, Rock Hill is far enough the first day for us.

Ahh, good old Rock Hill!! I have a friend who lived there, right off the Dave Lyle exit in the apartments behind the Hampton Inn. It's not a bad stop at all there; actually stayed at that Hampton many moons ago when I was down that way.

Since we mentioned stocking up in places...we hit a Buc-Ees on the way back. It may not be a Disney gift shop, but it's a nice consolation prize after you've left WDW.

The title says it all. We're doing a do-over of our honeymoon since my wife wasn't feeling great for some of the trip.

However, the airline prices are HORRENDOUS. Yes, we planned this thing kind of last minute (admittedly I booked the Yacht Club for a night while getting ready to check out of OKW...on my phone...) and we have just a few weeks until departure. I can't get anything under $1200 for round trip for both of us since we missed out on all the "wanna get away" prices and NEED to have early flights in/late flights out to maximize a day. That's not even counting airport parking or a rental car.

So we came up with an idea that is either brilliant or awful depending how you look at it. Why not...drive?

Now I've driven to Orlando before, but it was part of a much larger trip where I was in Atlanta for a conference that I brought a ton of stuff to in my car. Since Disney is about 7 hours from there, I was like "why not?" and went down. It's not the best road trip in the world, but I made it work and I have a relatively new car (3.5 years) in good shape.

Here's my worry...what kind of weather should I expect the first week of March going down? I don't really want to get stuck in a snowstorm in WV/VA or something. My car is a 2WD Acura without snow tires (my other car is an ancient Honda Civic that does have snow tires, but I don't know if I want to take that one 2000 miles round trip).
EDIT: my namesake Volvo, sadly, is no longer around...should point that out...

Also, let's look at where to stay going in. I have a lot of Hilton points so any Hilton or Hilton-owned property (Doubletree, etc) is fine by me. My initial thought was to stay in Charlotte, since I know the city, but I also realize that's like 8-9 hours out of WDW. I can drive 12-13 hours in a day without an issue so I was thinking of taking a break in Charlotte on the way down, then going somewhere in GA/FL that's maybe 4 hours out of WDW so we can get in before noon the next day.

Big questions here...
1. Should I be super concerned about the weather and maybe plan on going a different route than WV going in? It's March 2-3 for reference.
2. What would be a good stopping point that's about 4 hours out of WDW for the drive in and also for the drive back home?
3. Are there any current major projects going on with I-95, I-26, I-77, or I-79? (I'd ask about I-4 but we all know it's a disaster).
Just drove it last week from west central PA … we always drive but have you checked the prices of Spirit (eh) out of Latrobe? Usually very cheap.

Anyway we took 81 to 77 to 26 to 95 on the way down but what used to be a pleasurable drive has turned into an aggravating one as the ‘secret’ has got out about this route. We took 95 all the way to 17 on the way back Both got us to where we were going in about 15 hours with 4 stops for gas restroom. Drove straight thru on the way home but stopped in Brunswick GA on the way down. We are Hilton people too and stayed at the Hampton at 128 Venture Drive. It’s in a safe area (other Hilton properties as well) There is a nice bar/restaurant across the parking lot. Will definitely make this a future stop

Your trip down sounds horrible. I’m 40 but wouldn’t push it that much either. I’d say about 12 hours is the max. We stopped in walterboro sc on the way down. Took us about 11 hours with four stops (one gas, two rest stops, and lunch). Then it was about 6 hours from there with a couple stops and lunch.

We usually do rock hill (Charolette area) as it’s a nice halfway point. But decided on pushing it a little. On the way back we will just be staying a little further north in statesville. Getting even a little more than half done on the first day I like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter