Pixie Dust. Literally?

dtkids

Mouseketeer
We leave in four days for our first ever trip. 13YO Daughter is excited. I guess she HAS been listening to my Disney ramblings for the past few weeks.

She wants to bring or buy actual pixie dust to sprinkle on people at WDW, as well as get some for her adult brothers as a gift.

Can I just buy some glitter and call it good? And will people be really upset if my daughter sprinkles glitter on them?

We leave in four days for our first ever trip. 13YO Daughter is excited. I guess she HAS been listening to my Disney ramblings for the past few weeks.

She wants to bring or buy actual pixie dust to sprinkle on people at WDW, as well as get some for her adult brothers as a gift.

Can I just buy some glitter and call it good? And will people be really upset if my daughter sprinkles glitter on them?

Oh good god keep that glitter away from me! And if she asks she needs to be prepared for people to say no.

I can appreciate what your daughter wants to do - spread happiness. It’s sweet.

But please do not give her something to sprinkle on people. Even if she asks first, whatever she sprinkles is going to get everywhere. I’m already dreading taking my daughter to BBB because I know glitter will be on everything she touches for days.

ETA: You know what would be an awesome way for her to spread pixie dust? Compliment or say something nice to a person she wants to spread pixie dust to. In today’s society of bullying and sexual harassment, a kind word can help make someone’s day a little better.

I can appreciate what your daughter wants to do - spread happiness. It’s sweet.

But please do not give her something to sprinkle on people. Even if she asks first, whatever she sprinkles is going to get everywhere. I’m already dreading taking my daughter to BBB because I know glitter will be on everything she touches for days.

ETA: You know what would be an awesome way for her to spread pixie dust? Compliment or say something nice to a person she wants to spread pixie dust to. In today’s society of bullying and sexual harassment, a kind word can help make someone’s day a little better.

Agree so much with this!!! DO NOT throw glitter on people... technically it's a form of assault ;) People hate bubble wands, they will flat out be furious about glitter.

Tell your DD about the Celebration Buttons and practice some role-playing scenarios in which she asks about the button. They have Birthday, First Visit, Anniversary, blank buttons to write in a reason, etc. I think all the conversations were my DD's fav part of the trip... talking to EVERYONE!!! Oh and everyone wishing her a happy birthday... LOL because of the button... see where I'm going with this one?

We have a family member who breaks out in a rash/hives if she comes in contact with glitter. We specifically have to purchase glitter free birthday cards. She would break out in hives all over if her skin came in contact with it.

Don’t do it :)

Please don't sprinkle glitter on random people.

Take her to the Main Street Barbershop and let them do the pixie dust hairdo thing.

Man, I'm glad I asked this question. I did talk to her yesterday about spreading pixie dust in other ways. We will stick with that.
Thank you for this! It is sweet that your daughter wants to do something sweet, however glitter would not have been the best idea... especially "throwing" glitter. Believe it or not, glitter can cause injury.
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/news/a37780/woman-loses-eye-from-glitter/
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/beauty/news/a37780/woman-loses-eye-from-glitter/

Warning... do not click on the Imgur link if you are squeamish. For those who don't want to read, this woman got A piece of glitter in her eye while cleaning up from doing crafts with her child. The glitter scratched her cornea, causing infection, and lost the eye. Yes, this is a worst case scenario, I know that, but it just goes to show that there is more then just the "it's annoying" argument.

We’ve been to Disney on both of my DDs birthdays and other children noticing their birthday buttons and wishing them a happy birthday really made their day. It was somehow more special then a cast member saying it so that’s a great way for your daughter to spread some pixie dust.

If you have time before you leave you could pick up some glow sticks and stickers from the dollar store and she could hand those out to other children while standing in a long line or waiting for the fireworks to begin.

We have bottles of superfine glitter that we bring with us to WDW. My adult daughter has some 'magnetic' powers that draw children to her - we don't know what it is (her high pitched voice? her princess face?) but kids talk to her, sit with her, etc, when we are at WDW. Sometimes she offers to sprinkle some pixie dust on them (as she's usually already sprinkled some on herself in the morning!) She knows to check with parents first, of course. She used to have stickers and those shaped rubber bracelets in her bag for sad kids too. And when we play SotMK, she lets the kids watching help her defeat the evil guys!

I think with parental permission, glitter would be OK. But if it's too much to handle, then I agree to leave it at home and spread some invisible pixie dust through kind words instead :)

I like the "invisible pixie dust" idea - especially noticing buttons. If she really had her heart set on glitter, you could print some "business cards" on the computer and glitter them up. Have them say "Happy Birthday/Anniversary/First Visit" (whatever the buttons might say) and she could hand those out. That way no one would be surprised or covered, anyone allergic could decline, and some people might even keep them as a souvenir.

As for the gift for her brothers, I bet they do have something you can buy!

I am a very optimistic person and love Disneyland and want everyone to enjoy themselves. If somethings goes wrong on our trip i just try to get over it and remember we are at Disney. But have you ever dealt with glitter and tried to get it either off your face or hair? I would very upset at the parent for allowing their kids to do this to random strangers. so please stick o the "invisible glitter" like pp said

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter