Pixie dust opportunities

It is fine to refuse a gift politely for whatever personal reasons you have -- no explanations needed. But when someone goes further to judge the gift as "junk" (which happened up thread) and to judge the giver's motives as "ego stroking," that is going well beyond a polite refusal. The giver has the right to offer, the recipient has the right to refuse. No judgement or condemnation involved on either side. It is kind of the giver to offer and kind of the recipient to accept or refuse with grace. If someone's kindness truly bothers you that much, chances are they are not doing it to hurt or offend you -- simply ignore it and walk on.

Last edited:
Except, those who refuse have been called rude simply for refusing.

And one mans pixie dust is another mans junk.

If someone’s refusal bothers you that much, simply walk on.

Except, those who refuse have been called rude simply for refusing...
I don't think the refusal itself was considered rude, but the presumed judgement of the giver's motives.

And as another reminder to everyone in this thread: let's keep the comments on both sides respectful and gracious toward each other. Disagreement does not have to be argumentative or disrepectful to the other side.

we always have extras of the "trade" or "collection" items (pins, stickers, cards, etc) in our bag and give them away when the opportunity arises - sometimes this is during trades other times it is happenstance like when a tired mom is struggling with a child on the bus/in line ~ talk about the cards then hand them some to keep, etc etc. We have bought food for people, given away mickey money, shared glow bracelets/necklaces we brought from home...the key for us is to be aware of the people around us, smile and always look for ways to help.

I don't think the refusal itself was considered rude, but the presumed judgement of the giver's motives.

And as another reminder to everyone in this thread: let's keep the comments on both sides respectful and gracious toward each other. Disagreement does not have to be argumentative or disrepectful to the other side.
I assume that only goes towards me, and not anyone who agrees with your opinion. Explain exactly where I have been disrespectful. I'm offering an opinion just as others are doing in this thread. I'm not being sarcastic or argumentative. You have no problem calling out ME for disagreeing with you. But YOU are disagreeing with me. See how that works?

I assume that only goes towards me, and not anyone who agrees with your opinion. Explain exactly where I have been disrespectful. I'm offering an opinion just as others are doing in this thread. I'm not being sarcastic or argumentative. You have no problem calling out ME for disagreeing with you. But YOU are disagreeing with me. See how that works?
The reminder was given to everyone participating in this thread (and it says so, if you read it), not to anyone in particular. Being respectful applies to all participants on this board. As I have said repeatedly, here and in other threads, it is totally possible to disagree while being respectful and courteous toward each other. Other posters in this thread are a good example of that.
The main point of this thread was being kind to others; so with that in mind, let's get this thread back on topic!

Last edited:
The reminder was given to everyone...
Best. Reply. Ever. Couldn’t agree more. Someone once told me that she was raised to believe that in order to hold an opinion, she had to attack the opinion of anyone that disagreed. She learned later that it’s better and easier simply to agree to disagree. When you’re calm, respectful and take the time to listen, it’s often even possible to learn a thing or two.

Well I'll just make an additional comment, obviously we all interpret "pixie dust" differently, to some it is simply being kind and having good manners, to others it is a tangible item, and to others it could be both.
As I encounter people in my everyday life, at DL and on these boards, most of the time I find them to be kind, helpful (probably why they are here in the first place) and/or are here to ask for help to enhance their trip experiences, but there are always those who are not pleased no matter what (even at DL) and like to stir things up. I think there was a post or two that was basically what started the negativity with some harsh words and characterizations about people's motives. That's too bad, because honestly I found that the majority of posters were polite, took others viewpoints and comments into consideration by adding that they "hadn't thought of that" or "good point" and I did not take away that anyone had an issue with someone politely refusing their form of "pixie dust" whatever that was.

Everyone's viewpoint is valid and should be heard, but it would be great if expressed in a manner that is not divisive and inconsiderate (in my opinion), there's enough of that in the world already, it'd be great if we could avoid it here, especially on the topic of "pixie dust."

Lucky me, I was able to go to DCA and DL yesterday. I went specifically to ride Soarin over California. :) I ended up thinking about this thread a couple times. Let me preface this by saying it was very hot yesterday.

My husband and I bought some Pandora charms and were visiting/joking around with the CMs there while we shopped and one of them gave us the Disneyland Honorary Citizen buttons, which we didn't ask for - she just gave it to us to, I assume for being nice or for seeming to know a lot about DL. I thought about this thread and wondered if some of the people who aren't into pixie dusting would think we were just being nice so we stroke our egos, lol.

Later, when we were on the train, the conductor was very hot and sweaty. I thought that if I had a cold unopened drink (which I often do), I would have given it to him. Made me think about this thread again and how some would think I was doing it for my own kudos and not because the young man was hot and sweaty.

We had an opportunity to pixie dust someone in the yogurt line. We were several places back in line and I overheard the CM telling the people in the front that they needed to pay another $4 and change for their order. They had a hard time understanding and it became clear that they had no more money on them as the wife sent her child to get money from the dad. The CM and the people in line were getting antsy (it was a very hot day) and I shouted from the back of the line, "We got it," while sending my husband up there with a $5 bill. We weren't expecting a payback and $5 is nothing to us on a very hot day when we see a family trying to buy some frozen yogurt who probably weren't used to our money and our customs. The woman got money from her husband and paid us back, but in the meantime the woman was feeling grateful and more comfortable and the CM relaxed a lot and everyone seemed pretty happy. While I did get my money back, I wasn't expecting it and didn't care if I didn't get it back. I had no ill intentions while doing any of this. When I sat down with my frozen yogurt (which was delicious and refreshing) I thought about this thread again. Funny thing is giving myself a pat on the back never entered my mind and yet I can see where several people who have posted here would think that's what it was all about. We're all so different and see things so differently.

... Everyone's viewpoint is valid and should be heard, but it would be great if expressed in a manner that is not divisive and inconsiderate (in my opinion), there's enough of that in the world already, it'd be great if we could avoid it here, especially on the topic of "pixie dust."
Amen and amen. Thank you to the participants in this thread for working together to keep this thread on topic and for not letting the thread get hijacked to the dark side. Deliberate, focused kindness to others is much needed in the parks, on these boards, and in the world in general. Let's continue to encourage each other in this endeavor. Good job, DISers!

Last edited:
For every person here who can't understand how giving gifts can be wrong, there are people who can't understand why you'd want to, and there are people who don't want to accept them. Everyone keeps saying things like "their intentions are worthy" or "they're doing it from goodness", but you all can't seem to see the other side of this equation. Some people don't like taking things from strangers. Some people think random pixie dust is intrusive and some people would rather you leave them alone. That's not rude. That's just how they are. Just like you like to give things, some people want to be left alone. Someone saying "no thanks" to an offer of help, isn't rude. That person simply didn't need your help.

If your side is valid, then so is theirs.
i think most people agree with the basic concept of what you are saying that people are allowed to say no. Just because someone says no to taking some extra FP or a balloon does not make me think they are rude it just means they simply don't want it or they might not understand why some stranger would be nice to them. I, like others on here have said that it is ok to ask someone if they would like something and also it is ok for them to say no.

This board is pixie dust in it self. We all contribute to answer post that will help others on their trip planning.
There is someone on this board who will send maps out to people who want them before their trip. Not everyone wants a map or needs one. But the ones who do appreciate it greatly because I'm sure they are using it to plan or give to their kids.

There are people who appreciate some pixie dust and others who just don't I guess. I'm one of the ones who appreciates it and will continue to appreciate and spread my kindness to who ever likes and the ones who don't can just say "no thanks". :)

i think most people agree with the basic concept of what you are saying that people are allowed to say no. Just because someone says no to taking some extra FP or a balloon does not make me think they are rude it just means they simply don't want it or they might not understand why some stranger would be nice to them. I, like others on here have said that it is ok to ask someone if they would like something and also it is ok for them to say no.

This board is pixie dust in it self. We all contribute to answer post that will help others on their trip planning.
There is someone on this board who will send maps out to people who want them before their trip. Not everyone wants a map or needs one. But the ones who do appreciate it greatly because I'm sure they are using it to plan or give to their kids.

There are people who appreciate some pixie dust and others who just don't I guess. I'm one of the ones who appreciates it and will continue to appreciate and spread my kindness to who ever likes and the ones who don't can just say "no thanks". :)
Which was my point entirely. Some people appreciate it. Some don't. However, I got points for expressing it...

This thread isn't about who is right and who is wrong. And it should't be about airing personal grievances.

Since it's been a while, here is a repost of the OP:
So thanks to my DH I just booked my first solo trip from June 18-22. This is at the top of my bucket list for me so I want to spread some joy while I am there. I used to give away fast passes but since that isn't an option anymore I am reaching out. What is the best pixie dust you ever received from another park guest?
Let's get this thread back on topic!

I miss when you had a physical fastpass, there were many times we just passed them on to someone else. We decided we didn't want to do splash mountain and found a young couple way back in the line right in front of the drop and gave them our fastpass, another time we gave our nightmare before christmas haunted mansion tickets to a young couple on their honeymoon, another one was a young Chinese couple heading to guardians and we were wiped out for the night so I gave it to them and told them it was good right now and boy did they step up their pace. I also wear glow stick bracelets at night (helps my hubby keep track of me) and have handed them off to young kids while waiting for the night time parades.

I miss when you had a physical fastpass, there were many times we just passed them on to someone else...
We miss this, too, but it can still be done with F! and WOC FPs. When DH gets a work call that makes us miss the show, we look for people to gift with our FPs. Once we were able to give our CCR WOC FPs to a couple on their honeymoon. I met the bride in a shop and got to see her surprise her husband -- :)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter