Pixie dust opportunities

This is a great idea. DD collects those and during Christmas she really wanted a specific one she saw but i only had a very old looking penny. Some one that was shopping around heard us i guess i gave her a shiny penny. That made her day.

I don't have any other ideas, but also think this is very nice of you.
IMO the older pennies are better. The shiny new pennies have difficulty displaying the details on the pennies, but the older ones are able to define lines and details better.

I've had countless pixie-dust experiences at DL. CMs have walked me on rides six or seven times in the past simply because I'd struck up a conversation with them. I'm an extrovert and do this daily just about anywhere I am. Most people respond well to it. A few don't. I sense the ones that don't quickly and move on. No judgment (unless they're disporportionately rude, which happens rarely but does happen). We're simply different people. I get stimulated by social interaction while many of them do not and, indeed, find it taxing. Of course some of them are simply just cynics or jerks. I always say that about 90% of the people all swim one way. Then there's the 10% that swim against everyone else and rage because we're all going "the wrong way!!"

But my absolute favorite pixie-dust experience is the time about two years ago as I sat on a bench near the hub and sipped my tea. At some point, a young girl (perhaps nine or ten) in the direction of Jolly Holiday began to wail behind me. She was horribly upset about something as she cried her eyes out. I love kids and my heart went out to her. It's then that I noticed that she wore a large attachment on her ear. Not only was she inconsolable but she was also deaf. It broke my heart.

That's when it occurred to me that I had some pecans leftover from my lunch. I tested them with the ducks: would they eat them? Absolutely. They devoured them. So I asked the girl's mother if I could share some of them with her daughter to feed to the ducks. She gave me permission and moments later the girl stopped crying. Seconds after that, she wore a large smile and was laughing. It made my day and, indeed, was the best thing that's ever happened to me at DL. Having CMs be kind or take me to the front of the line of whatever attraction is great. But for me, helping a child is a far greater experience. I will never forget that precious moment.

Last edited:
Halloween is different. YOU go up to the house with a light on and request candy. You are in control of what houses you approach.

Your child is not approached by a random stranger seeking to stroke their own ego by barging into your vacation to give some random piece of junk like a sticker.

I am going to differ here and say some stranger approaching us with junk would not be "pixie dust" but an intrusion into our vacation. You would be demanding we give you some of our valuable time just to satisfy some need of yours.

There is a huge difference between giving away an extra fast pass you received and can't use or a balloon at the end of a vacation or what tankgirl! does above and actually planning and purchasing some junk just to be able to stop people and give out to children on their vacations. The former is normal, the latter is creepy.

OP, if you happen to approach us, please do not get offended if we say "no thank you and turn and walk away. We are on a family vacation and would prefer not to be stopped to entertain you (general you) and your ego. A vacation to Disney World or Land is Pixie Dust enough for us. We don't need strangers to "enhance" it. The cast members go far above and beyond making a vacation special.

Just my opinion (others may differ) but pixie dust can not be purchased. A smile, letting someone with a dancing child in line in front of you at the bathroom, being polite, those are all real "pixie dust." Not stopping some random child on the street to give them a sticker or some other trinket. Real pixie dust has no benefit to the giver (they don't see the results.) If you have to be part of the pixie dust then it is for your own benefit.

Perhaps since we would prefer not to be approached by some random stranger, we should wear "no soliciting buttons" while on vacation to turn away those soliciting boosts to the egos :rotfl2:

It makes me a little sad that someone would view others pixie dust offers in the manner you describe. I would never consider someone offering pixie dust to be soliciting a boost to the ego. Pixie dust is different to everyone, and I think most people have some discernment when offering it. It's not someone with a bag of "junk" as you put it, just walking around giving handfuls to people randomly. But rather offering the post it notes like mentioned, or handing a mom whose child is covered in lollipop juice a wet wipe, or feeding the ducks, buying the person behind you in line a churro, or yes even offering them a pin or fan. It can be so many things, but I don't think the root of those gifts whether they be material or not, is a boost to the gift-ers ego. For me at least, it's sharing the magic of shared experiences in a very unique place. While I think the idea of letting someone ahead of me in line to the bathroom or holding a door open is kind, it should just be the normal, that's not pixie dust. That's just being a good person. Which is admirable of course!

I'm always going to gauge the situation first, but if I think my brand of pixie dust what ever it may be, is helpful I'm still going to offer it. And maybe that person may not take me up on my offer, but it's no blow to my ego. The next person may want or need my pixie dust. Because if my kid is having a blast with her glow bracelet at Fantasmic! and your kid wants one, I'm gonna offer to share. Is there really harm in that? I guess maybe some people would say yes.

It makes me a little sad that someone would view others pixie dust offers in the manner you describe. I would never consider someone offering pixie dust to be soliciting a boost to the ego. Pixie dust is different to everyone, and I think most people have some discernment when offering it. It's not someone with a bag of "junk" as you put it, just walking around giving handfuls to people randomly. But rather offering the post it notes like mentioned, or handing a mom whose child is covered in lollipop juice a wet wipe, or feeding the ducks, buying the person behind you in line a churro, or yes even offering them a pin or fan. It can be so many things, but I don't think the root of those gifts whether they be material or not, is a boost to the gift-ers ego. For me at least, it's sharing the magic of shared experiences in a very unique place. While I think the idea of letting someone ahead of me in line to the bathroom or holding a door open is kind, it should just be the normal, that's not pixie dust. That's just being a good person. Which is admirable of course!

I'm always going to gauge the situation first, but if I think my brand of pixie dust what ever it may be, is helpful I'm still going to offer it. And maybe that person may not take me up on my offer, but it's no blow to my ego. The next person may want or need my pixie dust. Because if my kid is having a blast with her glow bracelet at Fantasmic! and your kid wants one, I'm gonna offer to share. Is there really harm in that? I guess maybe some people would say yes.
Thank you for responding a lot more eloquently than many of us would be able.

I guess I was imagining that it would be saved more for special situations. Like you see a kid, totally overtired in tears and the mom pulling out her hair and you hand the mom some bubbles. Or you are already chatting with strangers in line (extroverts conversing with extroverts) and you offer them something. Natural progressions not like randomly hunting down strangers.
Exactly <3

It makes me a little sad that someone would view others pixie dust offers in the manner you describe.
Agree 100%. Sometimes no matter what you do, there are cynics that will spin it to fit their negative view of the world. I'm kind to people for many reasons and I know what my aims and intentions are. If other people choose to infer sinister motives, that says far more about them than it does about me.

As an aside, a few years ago I was Rollerblading around Copenhagen. I was slightly confused (their downtown consists largely of concentric circles) and pulled out a map. A Danish guy approached and asked if I needed help. It made me feel great and I still remember it to this day, obviously. Yes, I could have approached him and asked for help, but it's nicer when people can see you're having trouble and offer to help. That's part of the reason that I love DL and say that it restores my faith in humanity. The cynical poster merely detracts from it, although in a much smaller way than the optimists and kind people do to restore it.

Oh, also: about six months ago we helped a nice Australian family in several ways at DL (it was their first visit). Among other things, we saw to it that they got to open the park. The mother shed a tear or two and the dad was exceptionally grateful. Why not make people feel good when and where we can? There's too much nastiness in the world. I prefer to lessen it rather than increase it. I suspect Walt would largely share this view.

Thank you for sharing this. I agree with you that it is sad that some people cannot see kindness for what it is: people being kind to others for no reason other than sharing something positive in the world and not expecting anything else in return. It does seem that people who are naturally kind hearted see that in other people and don't judge it as negative because it's something they understand themselves. We know people who are very mistrustful and suspicious of others, but usually it is because they've been hurt by others in the past -- so we always try to show some extra grace and patience, which is a sort of pixie dust, too.

So I asked the girl's mother if I could share some of them with her daughter to feed to the ducks.

While it was a very nice thing that you did, I would never encourage any child to willfully violate park policy.Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 2.58.12 PM.png

There was a thread a few years ago- person wanted to spread pixie dust by identifying “needy” children and giving them her kids used clothes!

I think bubbles are terrible- said something last trip to kid who blew all over me. Grandma said he wasn’t hurting anything— well I don’t want want bubbles on me.

Think best pixie dust (if you must do something to feel good) is being nice - be nice to others and CMs. Not “intrude” on someone’s vacation who might not want the “goodies” you are offering.

We were in WDW a couple years ago for our anniversary. Everyone was so lovely about the buttons and all, lots of congratulations and the like. One night at the hotel bar another guest sent over a bottle of champagne and one afternoon at Nomad Lounge in AK a couple we didn't even meet picked up our tab. I thought both were lovely gestures. I certainly didn't feel like they were intruding on our holiday...

It can be so many things, but I don't think the root of those gifts whether they be material or not, is a boost to the gift-ers ego. For me at least, it's sharing the magic of shared experiences in a very unique place.

Well said.

I remember the first day I took my son to Disneyland. We woke up really early because he was so excited and got to the gates early enough to be second in line. The two ladies in front of us were pin collectors and we just started chatting and told them it was going to be my son’s first day. They were so kind and explained to him how pin trading works, which I had not known about either at that point, and gave him a few to put on his lanyard which made his day. It’s one of my sweetest memories of the parks and was such a happy start to our day. I’ll never forget it.

The two ladies in front of us were pin collectors and we just started chatting and told them it was going to be my son’s first day. They were so kind and explained to him how pin trading works, which I had not known about either at that point, and gave him a few to put on his lanyard which made his day.
Something like that happened to me a few years ago. Two girls from Japan were nearby at the park gate and I spoke with them in (my limited) Japanese. Indeed, I often encounter Japanese tourists at DL and they’re always surprised when I offer to help... in Japanese. In any case, they each gifted me a pin from DL Tokyo. Very kind of them.

Another time about six months ago, I was in line to enter the park on an EMH morning (I didn’t have EMH - I’d planned to wait until the park opened at 8:00). I struck up a conversation with the woman in front of me and she asked me to join her and her family in the EMH. Always nice when people are super kind. That’s one of the reasons that I offer help and kindness to other park guests: because I know how good it feels.

There was a thread a few years ago- person wanted to spread pixie dust by identifying “needy” children and giving them her kids used clothes!

I think bubbles are terrible- said something last trip to kid who blew all over me. Grandma said he wasn’t hurting anything— well I don’t want want bubbles on me...
The clothing thing does sound a bit extreme. There is a big difference between random acts of kindness and a charity project. And regarding the bubbles, it is a good reminder that some people, kids and adults, have allergies (skin, eye, and respiratory) to the bubble formula. So it is always a good idea to ask first before handing out any bubbles. And if using bubbles, to practice good bubble etiquette in consideration of your fellow guests.

IMO. Going out of your way to bring “prizes” so you can give them away does in fact stroke the givers ego and that is why they are doing it. To me true pixie dust is something random. Not planned out.

I will repeat the best pixie dust is being kind.

I agree with the second half of this: being kind is the best pixie dust and I don't think I've ever been to the park when I haven't spread at least a little. But I disagree that bringing small tokens to the park to give as random gifts is fundamentally wrong or self-serving. Perhaps some people are more comfortable with this form of kindness (just like I'm an extrovert but understand that not everyone is). While I take your point, it feels like you're generalizing how you'd feel about it to how everyone else would/should feel. Not a criticism -- I used to do this myself. In fact, I suspect most people have at some point in their life. As others have noted, it's important to check with parents first. There could be any number of reasons -- likely some that wouldn't have even occurred to us -- they'd decline a gift, even though the intention is good and, perhaps, even appreciated.

Last edited:

Wasn’t there one a while ago about someone looking for “needy” kids and giving them dolls?

We’ve had some lovely little moments of pixie dust, there was one guy who was in line with us to meet Jack Skellington and he gave my son a pin to put on his backpack.

We used to bring a bag of glow sticks to keep our son occupied while we waited for nighttime shows and we would always offer them to kids nearby. It was never something that we picked up specifically to give away but we had extras and I didn’t want to bring them home!

While I take your point, it feels like you're generalizing how you'd feel about it to how everyone else would/should feel.

It is just my opinion on specifically looking to be the pixie dust fairy. It’s not how I would feel doing it because really it is not something I would do.

It is just my opinion on specifically looking to be the pixie dust fairy. It’s not how I would feel doing it because really it is not something I would do.
Right. I get that. But just as some people are perfectly comfortable with approaching strangers and striking up conversations -- I do it daily and most people respond to it positively -- others are not, for whatever reason. We all have thoughts and feelings about what's appropriate and what isn't. Something that I'd do, others may interpret as decidedly out of line. That doesn't mean that either of us is necessarily right or wrong. We've all made the choice (hopefully) that works best for us. Others don't always agree with those choices, as you know.

2991CF64-1BAA-4C74-970C-A8F6C7B29385.jpeg
My six-year-old heard that a friend was given a homemade crocheted Stormtrooper upon leaving SWGE earlier this week.

She decided she wanted to give something away, too. So she spent the last couple of days making these magnets out of her melting beads. They’re with us, ready to be distributed during our 8-12 slot tomorrow.

She’s brought stuff to give away at Disneyland before - the Frozen snowflake necklaces we got on a Disney cruise, some stickers, an extra copy of a small Moana book.

It never. Not in a million years. Ever. Would have occurred to me that someone would be offended or rude about this type of gesture. My mind is blown.

I have more things I’d like to say, but I’ll stop there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter