Pixie dust opportunities

I think that the idea of doing something kind and thoughtful for another park guest or for a CM is a lovely idea. It doesn't even have to cost you any money. I always try to stop by City Hall or the Chamber of Commerce once a day in order to leave a thank you for a CM that we encountered at some point that day. It bring me a lot of joy and I find myself a lot more patient and appreciative of everything that DL has to offer.

I think that the Negative Nancy's and Grumpy Gary's out there need to stop once in awhile and smell the roses. When somebody offers something inconsequential like a sticker or a glow necklace to your child, just take a moment and consider that maybe the person is not trying to invade your personal space or offend you in some way. The person might just have genuinely honorable intentions.

A couple of years ago, a very dear friend of mine died very suddenly & unexpectedly. Her family and all of her friends, me included, were just devastated. She was an amazing person. She lived about a 45 min drive from DL and was an AP holder. She went once or twice a week. Sometimes with friends but many times just by herself. Often after work in the evening. She's the reason my kids love the Haunted Mansion ride so much. She went on it with them for their first time when they were 4 and 6 and they were initially too scared to go on it. I drove out to CA from here in AZ to go to her funeral. And then the day after that, I went to DL because it was literally her favorite place on earth. I hand wrote out a bunch of thank you cards on 3x5" cards and picked certain CMs all day to give them to. I gave a family some glow necklaces for their little kids (and yes, I asked the parents first if it was ok) in the evening while waiting for fireworks. One amazing sanitation CM read my little thank you card and then came back to find me and walked me over to all of the sanitation CM crew in Fantasyland. She had apparently read my thank you card to all of them and they all gave me this enormous group bear hug. It was so amazing. We all cried. And then they walked me onto Peter Pan. Totally unexpected.

My friend used to say that she loved going to DL so much because when people are at DL, they're better versions of themselves. They're more patient with each other, kinder, gentler, not as quick to anger, etc.

I have more things I’d like to say, but I’ll stop there.
I wouldn’t mind hearing a bit more ;-).

But, yes, it is odd how some people can grossly misinterpret good or kind intentions. In simple terms, that comes from their conception of the world as either largely good or largely evil. One of my nasty DL surprises was several months ago when two women were walking towards the hub from Frontierland as they studied a map. I called out to them as we were about to pass each other, “Ladies, do you need some help with directions?” Without looking up they simply replied “Nope!” and kept walking. Very rude, I thought. Honestly, I think some people believe that bad people come to the park to pull off elaborate scams that begin with offering help. Seems like a poor place to pull off a scam. It’s expensive to get into, if you you have an AP, DL will know who you are or will have your pic on file. Moreover, there’s ample security there, nearly all of which (I’ll venture) guests don’t see. Sheesh. Some people...

It is just my opinion on specifically looking to be the pixie dust fairy. It’s not how I would feel doing it because really it is not something I would do.
Exactly. These are your individual feelings and they are valid. But they are not the standard for judging the motives and heart intentions of other people, especially people you don't know and maybe have never even met.

To everyone participating in this thread: Let's keep the comments respectful and non-judgemental of others. It's fine to disagree and to express our own opinions, but that is not the same thing as presuming to know and then judging the motives of others. Part of being kind is being gracious to each other, both in the parks and on these boards.
Now, back to the discussion!

Last edited:

View attachment 407524
My six-year-old heard that a friend was given a homemade crocheted Stormtrooper upon leaving SWGE earlier this week.

She decided she wanted to give something away, too. So she spent the last couple of days making these magnets out of her melting beads. They’re with us, ready to be distributed during our 8-12 slot tomorrow.

She’s brought stuff to give away at Disneyland before - the Frozen snowflake necklaces we got on a Disney cruise, some stickers, an extra copy of a small Moana book.

It never. Not in a million years. Ever. Would have occurred to me that someone would be offended or rude about this type of gesture. My mind is blown.

Thank you for supporting your daughter's good intentions and desire to be kind and to share joy with others. :)

I think that the idea of doing something kind and thoughtful for another park guest or for a CM is a lovely idea. It doesn't even have to cost you any money. I always try to stop by City Hall or the Chamber of Commerce once a day in order to leave a thank you for a CM that we encountered at some point that day. It bring me a lot of joy and I find myself a lot more patient and appreciative of everything that DL has to offer.

I think that the Negative Nancy's and Grumpy Gary's out there need to stop once in awhile and smell the roses. When somebody offers something inconsequential like a sticker or a glow necklace to your child, just take a moment and consider that maybe the person is not trying to invade your personal space or offend you in some way. The person might just have genuinely honorable intentions.

A couple of years ago, a very dear friend of mine died very suddenly & unexpectedly. Her family and all of her friends, me included, were just devastated. She was an amazing person. She lived about a 45 min drive from DL and was an AP holder. She went once or twice a week. Sometimes with friends but many times just by herself. Often after work in the evening. She's the reason my kids love the Haunted Mansion ride so much. She went on it with them for their first time when they were 4 and 6 and they were initially too scared to go on it. I drove out to CA from here in AZ to go to her funeral. And then the day after that, I went to DL because it was literally her favorite place on earth. I hand wrote out a bunch of thank you cards on 3x5" cards and picked certain CMs all day to give them to. I gave a family some glow necklaces for their little kids (and yes, I asked the parents first if it was ok) in the evening while waiting for fireworks. One amazing sanitation CM read my little thank you card and then came back to find me and walked me over to all of the sanitation CM crew in Fantasyland. She had apparently read my thank you card to all of them and they all gave me this enormous group bear hug. It was so amazing. We all cried. And then they walked me onto Peter Pan. Totally unexpected.

My friend used to say that she loved going to DL so much because when people are at DL, they're better versions of themselves. They're more patient with each other, kinder, gentler, not as quick to anger, etc.
Wonderful story! Thank you for sharing it with us.

These posts are 4-5 years old and are the exceptions, not the rule. We don't usually see examples that extreme when people want ideas for random acts of kindness to show others in the parks. Again, just because a few people have good intentions (let's be gracious and assume the intentions were sincerely kind hearted), but not the most practical ideas for expression, does not mean that everyone's intentions are bad or crazy or that no one should able to show kindness to others in their own way. Let's try to encourage each other here to be our better selves in the parks and on these boards, not discourage anyone from being kind to others.

Last edited:

Again, just because a few people have good intentions (let's be gracious and assume the intentions were sincerely kind hearted), but not the most practical ideas for expression, does not mean that everyone's intentions are bad or crazy or that no one should able to show kindness to others in their own way. Let's try to encourage each other here to be our better selves in the parks and on these boards, not discourage anyone from being kind to others.
Thank you for that. I feel joy when I do/give someone something to someone that makes them happy/feel loved. I believe we should all do what gives us joy as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

I don't understand why some people seem to be offended by someone wanting to pixie dust strangers. Some of us feel joy when we are loving and generous. We are just wired that way.

I usually will get some light up bracelets, etc. at the dollar store and as they come in big packs will "share' with the families around me - little pixie dust as I wouldn't probably carry them otherwise. Although, the fairy wands they sell were great with a group of adults - I gave one to each and when the crowd dispersed from the fireworks we would raise them straight in the air to find each other. Much easier than trying to stay together.

So, this thread has made me think about a book called "The 5 Love Languages." In it, one way some people show love (and feel loved) is in gift giving. If you bring your partner home a candy bar, you aren't doing it with selfish motives; you are doing it to make them happy. I think that's what material-pixie-dusters are doing--and likely maybe part of their "love language." Just a thought.

View attachment 407524
My six-year-old heard that a friend was given a homemade crocheted Stormtrooper upon leaving SWGE earlier this week.

She decided she wanted to give something away, too. So she spent the last couple of days making these magnets out of her melting beads. They’re with us, ready to be distributed during our 8-12 slot tomorrow.

She’s brought stuff to give away at Disneyland before - the Frozen snowflake necklaces we got on a Disney cruise, some stickers, an extra copy of a small Moana book.

It never. Not in a million years. Ever. Would have occurred to me that someone would be offended or rude about this type of gesture. My mind is blown.

This is so very sweet! I just love kids wanting to do nice things for others!

I am blown away how an innocuous post (in my opinion) ends up bringing out so many negative remarks--I find that a sad commentary on our world in general. I can appreciate we're all different and respond differently to things based on how we were raised and all that ... but gee, I did not expect the thread to head the direction it did, I would venture a guess neither did the original poster. I think kindness and manners if instilled in someone are the people who are probably generally kind in their everyday life including Disneyland and don't think twice about it and probably don't consider that by just being the kind, good mannered person they are that they are spreading "pixie dust" because they are just acting as they normally do. I think the intent of the original post was asking about something that went above good natured, kind mannerisms and for some reason that brought out some nasty comments.

This discussion reminds me of the Friends episode when Phoebe was trying to find a selfless good deed--she found it was impossible to do something kind for someone without feeling good about herself too. So I guess by some people's thoughts and comments here even generally kind people are really out there just being kind as an ego boost? Hmmm....sad!

I am blown away how an innocuous post (in my opinion) ends up bringing out so many negative remarks--I find that a sad commentary on our world in general. I can appreciate we're all different and respond differently to things based on how we were raised and all that ... but gee, I did not expect the thread to head the direction it did, I would venture a guess neither did the original poster. I think kindness and manners if instilled in someone are the people who are probably generally kind in their everyday life including Disneyland and don't think twice about it and probably don't consider that by just being the kind, good mannered person they are that they are spreading "pixie dust" because they are just acting as they normally do. I think the intent of the original post was asking about something that went above good natured, kind mannerisms and for some reason that brought out some nasty comments.

This discussion reminds me of the Friends episode when Phoebe was trying to find a selfless good deed--she found it was impossible to do something kind for someone without feeling good about herself too. So I guess by some people's thoughts and comments here even generally kind people are really out there just being kind as an ego boost? Hmmm....sad!
I agree whole-heartedly. I've noticed some fussier people/posts on here the last week or so :( It makes me sad. Everyone is usually so happy and nice here!

I wouldn't say that is the only reason someone does it but I would say it is part of it. Holding the door for someone, helping an elderly neighbor with yard work, sharing glow sticks at Disneyland DOES make the person feel good and hopeful makes the receiver feel good too. Is it necessarily the reason they do it ? - maybe yes, maybe no. But it a natural consequence of being a kind, helpful person.

So, this thread has made me think about a book called "The 5 Love Languages." In it, one way some people show love (and feel loved) is in gift giving. If you bring your partner home a candy bar, you aren't doing it with selfish motives; you are doing it to make them happy. I think that's what material-pixie-dusters are doing--and likely maybe part of their "love language." Just a thought.

I was thinking this same thing as I was reading! People definitely show and share love, joy, excitement, and happiness in different ways. The way someone shows this may be different from what you as an individual enjoy or prefer. But simply the fact that they are different does not make their intentions any less worthy. I'm actually loving this thread for all the positive responses! We head to Disneyland in a month and I can't wait! I love the pressed penny idea!

For every person here who can't understand how giving gifts can be wrong, there are people who can't understand why you'd want to, and there are people who don't want to accept them. Everyone keeps saying things like "their intentions are worthy" or "they're doing it from goodness", but you all can't seem to see the other side of this equation. Some people don't like taking things from strangers. Some people think random pixie dust is intrusive and some people would rather you leave them alone. That's not rude. That's just how they are. Just like you like to give things, some people want to be left alone. Someone saying "no thanks" to an offer of help, isn't rude. That person simply didn't need your help.

If your side is valid, then so is theirs.

I just thought of that too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter