PizzeRizzo closing

zoo2tycoon

DIS Veteran
My friend's daughter works at PizzeRizzo in Hollywood Studios. They were told today the restaurant is closing permanently around October 20. I can't remember exact date.

Just heads up

I took a look on Disney's website and they had a listing for Oct 27, 11-4, and Oct 28 was no times available. So it must be Oct 27 that its closing.

Ugh, this is upsetting. We tried going our past two trips and b/c of it's limited hours, it kept not fitting in our schedule. I was so excited to go next trip. I wonder what this means for the whole muppets area...

This is PURE speculation/guessing, but if they closed Pizza Rizzo and Mama Melrose’s, then could they potentially link SW:GE to Star Tours? It looks possible on the map, but maybe not in practicality. I’m not the best in remembering exactly how things look street-level in the parks. Maybe they convert Mama Melrose’s to a newly themed restaurant.

If true, that didn't last long.

I'd love to see some kind of clone of Satu'li Canteen in any of the parks, seeing that the reviews are generally so good (and I like it!). DHS has been hurting for a decent QS for years - Backlot Express is okay, but the Commissary has declined quite a bit...

Say what? It just opened a few years ago.

I mean the only reason it's not more popular is because it has bankers hours (and I am not a fan of the pasta salad). However that's hardly reason to close it. It's great for an AC Cool-off - one of the coldest places in the park.

I think everyone knows the menu needs improving there, that’s no secret. The part I never thought of that’s interesting is location. How much foot traffic does that place really get given where it is in the park? If I recall that muppets area is a dead end which only has the 3-D show (showing its age) and mama melrose. And I don’t see how traffic will improve once Star Wars opens (besides more people being in the park) as I believe that’s still going to be a dead end area

Why would the refurb it just, what? two years ago? To just close it? I haven't been there since Pizza Planet .. but if the menu didn't change from that ... .ugh.

We all know that whole area is kind of a forgotten corner. I doubt it gets a lot of foot traffic anymore now that it is a dead-end.

Like someone above mentioned .. I hope they can use it to connect Star Tours to SWGE as an alternative way to enter the land. It would be a long tunnel, but not like tons of other rides don't have long walks to exit. And maybe it would connect up with the Star Wars Hotel entrance to SWGE, giving those guests the ability to ride Star Tours as well in full immersion.

This is PURE speculation/guessing, but if they closed Pizza Rizzo and Mama Melrose’s, then could they potentially link SW:GE to Star Tours? It looks possible on the map, but maybe not in practicality. I’m not the best in remembering exactly how things look street-level in the parks. Maybe they convert Mama Melrose’s to a newly themed restaurant.
If that were happening I think they would’ve done it a while ago.

If that were happening I think they would’ve done it a while ago.

Well, maybe. I mean who would think they would be closing Pizza Rizzo after putting so much into the remodel? Maybe they were hoping to revive that area, but it hasn’t been successful? It certainly would solve the “how do we connect Star Tours?” problem. Yes, you lose those restaurants, but now you don’t have to re-theme Star Tours AND the land “gains” an attraction à la TSMM.

I know you are much more in the know than I am, but it can be fun to speculate. ;)

Well, maybe. I mean who would think they would be closing Pizza Rizzo after putting so much into the remodel? Maybe they were hoping to revive that area, but it hasn’t been successful? It certainly would solve the “how do we connect Star Tours?” problem. Yes, you lose those restaurants, but now you don’t have to re-theme Star Tours AND the land “gains” an attraction à la TSMM.

I know you are much more in the know than I am, but it can be fun to speculate. ;)
Even if they get rid of PizzeRizzo they still have Mama Melrose and the muppet store in the way of SWGE and Star Tours. If this is indeed closing it’s for some other reason.

I don't think this is happening...
1) by all reports they don't want a link between SW:GE and ST
2) by all reports ST will eventually be changed to a new IP, and not be star wars material
3) by all reports they intend to keep the area for Muppets so making a tie in to SW:GE makes no sense there.

I agree with @rteetz if that was the plan, they would not have done the rework they did an all the area changes to the gate going into SW:GE

Exactly when did it open? I know some above say a couple of years but it really doesn't feel that long ago to me

It opened in the Fall of 2016.

The Disney penny wise dollar foolish scorecard keeps going.

I'm guessing this in part of all the cost cutting going on right now.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!