Places to visit that are not miserably hot in August?

So for this year momentarily leaning into a drive in New England or, I know this is out of left field, but what about Iceland???

Just watched an episode of Somebody Feed Phil in Iceland (which was adorable BTW) and that puffy winter coat in the summer looked like a nice break from the 100 degree high humidity I know will be here in August. Anyone ever go?
We also love Somebody Feed Phil!! The Iceland episode was wonderful. We loved our trip there several years ago, late August / early September. Some days were pretty chilly and needed a jacket. A few days we could have short sleeves. We even saw some faint northern lights despite it being normally too early for that. If you're looking to go in early-mid August, things may already be booked by now though. They have a small population and a massive influx of tourists over the summertime.

I'm going there in July so it's reassuring to hear that it's not deathly hot. I've never been to Canada before and really loved the vibe. Looking into doing some day trips as well - specifically to l’Île d’Orléans and maybe Montreal if I can handle the train ride.

Montreal in July will be very hot and very humid. FYI

You mentioned the northern lights, but yeah, August is the wrong time for that because places far north enough to see them, won't get enough darkness that they would be visible. You could still have a great August trip to Iceland, but it's the wrong time for northern lights viewing. Or you could go to certain areas of the southern hemisphere in August and view the southern lights, since it will be winter there.

My DH was there years ago and came back saying that it was full of the sweetest population of people he ever met so I would love to go. I have been looking to all the Northern States but getting to some spots seems like such a long drive after a flight. Maybe if people in the know share travel tips of great stops along the way? Like is there a picturesque train that weaves through?
They don't say, "Minnesota Nice" for nothing, LOL. I am from the deep south where hospitality is everywhere. But when we moved here we realized that the North Minnesota area has a lot of wonderful, friendly people here too. It's not just in the South! Where are you traveling from? Oh I see, LOL, your name says it all:)

They don't say, "Minnesota Nice" for nothing, LOL. I am from the deep south where hospitality is everywhere. But when we moved here we realized that the North Minnesota area has a lot of wonderful, friendly people here too. It's not just in the South! Where are you traveling from? Oh I see, LOL, your name says it all:)
Raised family in PA now sliding into Massachusetts, the ocean here stole my heart and so did the Boston Public Garden, name is because the Orlando area, WDW and Universal have been a pretty big part of raising our family.

Places like the Pacific Northwest in the United States, or coastal towns in Europe like Santorini, Greece, offer milder climates during the summer months. I am currently planning a trip too so I plan to contact grand canyon west customer service. Additionally, mountainous areas such as the Swiss Alps or the Canadian Rockies provide cool temperatures and stunning scenery for outdoor activities. Exploring national parks with higher elevations can also be a great way to beat the heat while enjoying nature's beauty.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter