Planning 2021 trip need help with borrowing question..

babesboo99

Veteren Disney Vacationer
My use year is August at BCV we are planning another trip for Thanksgiving or Christmas 2021 for the 50th anniversary. my question is would I be able to borrow from 2022 pts when i book in December 2020 or January 2021

My use year is August at BCV we are planning another trip for Thanksgiving or Christmas 2021 for the 50th anniversary. my question is would I be able to borrow from 2022 pts when i book in December 2020 or January 2021
I don’t see why not? What’s your concern? Especially if you book Jan 2021, you’re literally borrowing from the next year, which is exactly the idea. Somebody feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, though.

This is all new to me so I was making sure. I booked my 1st trip for this past November so when i book next time it will only be my 2nd time not sure in banking and borrowing yet

Borrowing is not contingent on when you book, but when your vacation will be. Since your trip falls in your 2021 UY, then you can use banked 2020 points and/or borrowed 2022 points.

Another question do i have to wait till after August of 2020 to bank my points?
If you are talking about your 2020 points, then I think yes. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me. You will have between August 1, 2020 and March 31, 2021 to bank your points into your 2021 UY.

ETA: Actually the more I think about this, I think I'm wrong. I have always banked mine when I make the reservation, so if you had an August 2020 reservation, then obviously you could have banked those points 11 months prior.-----Ah, as sandisw points out in the next post, it would be the 2019 points you would be banking in this example. So YES, you must wait until August 1 to bank your 2020 points.

Last edited:

You can’t bank point until you enter the UY of the points. So, August 2020 UY points can be banked, starting on August 1st, 2020. Once banked, they will be eligible for booking trips in your 2021 UY.

The easiest way to know what points you can use for trips, forget about calendar year and when you will be calling to book trip. Those don’t matter, and just focus on UY of the travel.

Any trip can be paid for with banked points from UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and borrowed points from UY after the trip that are needed to complete the reservstion,

So, as mentioned, since your Dec 2021 trip will be in your 2021 UY, you can use banked points from 2020, 2021 points, and borrow 2022 points.

As long as you bank your 2020 points prior to your 11 month window..January 2021..they will be available for use when you book.

Thanksgiving and Christmas 2021 both fall in your Aug 2021 UY. That means you could use banked 2020 points, current 2021 points or borrowed 2022 points. When you make the reservation for your trip, 11 months out, you can borrow point from your Aug 2022 UY to make the reservation. If you want to use banked 2020 points, you can bank them starting Aug 1, 2020.

You can’t bank point until you enter the UY of the points. So, August 2020 UY points can be banked, starting on August 1st, 2020. Once banked, they will be eligible for booking trips in your 2021 UY.

The easiest way to know what points you can use for trips, forget about calendar year and when you will be calling to book trip. Those don’t matter, and just focus on UY of the travel.

Any trip can be paid for with banked points from UY prior to the trip, points from the UY of the trip, and borrowed points from UY after the trip that are needed to complete the reservstion,

So, as mentioned, since your Dec 2021 trip will be in your 2021 UY, you can use banked points from 2020, 2021 points, and borrow 2022 points.

As long as you bank your 2020 points prior to your 11 month window..January 2021..they will be available for use when you book.
Thanks for clarifying this. I thought that was the way it is, but then I got to thinking I was wrong.

Thanksgiving and Christmas 2021 both fall in your Aug 2021 UY. That means you could use banked 2020 points, current 2021 points or borrowed 2022 points. When you make the reservation for your trip, 11 months out, you can borrow point from your Aug 2022 UY to make the reservation. If you want to use banked 2020 points, you can bank them starting Aug 1, 2020.

Thank you , i thought it was that way but i wasnt sure and before i made a mistake I thought i would come to the boards who has helped me before..

Thank you

Hello,
New DVC member and came across this thread through the search function. Quick question: Trying to book a DVC room that would require me to borrow from my 2021 points. The trip is for mid August 2020. My question is, if I decide to modify that reservation for a later date such as first week of September that will not require borrowing points from 2021, would those points automatically go back to the 2021 point allotment? Or do they stay with your 2020 use year? Hope my question isn't confusing :) TIA!

Hello,
New DVC member and came across this thread through the search function. Quick question: Trying to book a DVC room that would require me to borrow from my 2021 points. The trip is for mid August 2020. My question is, if I decide to modify that reservation for a later date such as first week of September that will not require borrowing points from 2021, would those points automatically go back to the 2021 point allotment? Or do they stay with your 2020 use year? Hope my question isn't confusing :) TIA!
Borrowing is final. So once you borrow no matter what happens with the trip those points remain in the UY you borrowed them into and expire at the end of the UY. The one thing though is your September trip that uses less points would use the borrowed points first thus possibly freeing up current UY points that could be banked.

Borrowing is final. So once you borrow no matter what happens with the trip those points remain in the UY you borrowed them into and expire at the end of the UY. The one thing though is your September trip that uses less points would use the borrowed points first thus possibly freeing up current UY points that could be banked.
Thank you for the response :) That completely answered my question.

I have a question for you experts.
We have December use year and have a reservation for 21st October this year which has used all our points from 2019 and 2020.
I'm hoping that If I wait until our 7 month ( not 11 month) window opens at our home resort, it may be possible to add an extra day to our trip using 2021 points.
If correct could I add the extra day on 21st of March?
Thanks in advance for any advice/help :)

Edited: should have said 7 month window - not 11 month -oops sorry for the confusion :)

Last edited:
We have December use year and have a reservation for 21st October this year which has used all our points from 2019 and 2020.
I'm hoping that If I wait until our 11 month window opens at our home resort, it may be possible to add an extra day to our trip using 2021 points.
I’m confused. The 11-month window for October 21, 2020 was November 21, 2019, not March 21, 2020.

However, that point is somewhat moot. A reservation for Oct. 21, 2020 falls in your Dec 2019 UY. You can use banked points from 2018, borrowed points from 2020 and points from 2019 to make that reservation. You cannot borrow from Dec 2021.

What you could do, is purchase OTUPs (up to 24 @$19 each) at the 7-month window to add the night.

I'm hoping that If I wait until our 11 month window opens at our home resort, it may be possible to add an extra day to our trip using 2021 points.

An October 2020 reservation falls in your Dec. 2019 UY (ends Nov. 31, 2020). Since it's your Dec. 2019 UY, you can only pay for the reservation from 2019 UY points, and 2020 UY. You can not pay for a Oct. 2020 reservation from 2021 UY points (since Oct 2020 reservation falls in your 2019 UY).

In your situation, you need to either rent / transfer in the points, or if the last night can be cover by OTUP, than buy those points directly from DVC.

Great3

I’m confused. The 11-month window for October 21, 2020 was November 21, 2019, not March 21, 2020.

However, that point is somewhat moot. A reservation for Oct. 21, 2020 falls in your Dec 2019 UY. You can use banked points from 2018, borrowed points from 2020 and points from 2019 to make that reservation. You cannot borrow from Dec 2021.

What you could do, is purchase OTUPs (up to 24 @$19 each) at the 7-month window to add the night.
Thank you Marionette, it makes sense now, I really appreciate your input :)
I don't think I can purchase OTU again in 2019 UY as I already bought them for our trip we took this January - I'm sure I read that it's one purchase in one UY.

Thank you Marionette, it makes sense now, I really appreciate your input :)
I don't think I can purchase OTU again in 2019 UY as I already bought them for our trip we took this January - I'm sure I read that it's one purchase in one UY.
It’s up to 24 per UY. You can make more than one purchase but that won’t make a difference if the number that you have remaining to buy is less than what you need.

A transfer from another member with the same home resort could work for you (like @Great3 mentioned).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter