Planning a graduation party on a budget

wendow

We create happiness.
Anyone have tips? I'm getting overwhelmed with the whole deal. We have about 75-100 people coming. Open house style party.

Current menu is pulled pork, pasta salad, chips, veggies/dip, fruit salad, cake, cookies, candy bar.

I have two families who are vegan, two dairy allergies (one of my own kiddos), several gluten free...the places here in the denver area who make a vegan *and* gf cake are so $$. What would you do to accommodate that? No cake for those people??

Another family coming does not eat pork. Thought about pulled chicken for them but how do you serve something that is only meant for one family?

My dd wants a theme with bright colors but also 'farmhouse' style. Is that even doable? What colors look good with farmhouse?

My dd has had a really rough high school life...very, very sick for two of her four high school years...so I hate to say I coddle her but the honest thing is, I do, and I want this party to be very special for her. I cannot spend a ton of money but I want this party to be memorable for her and all she's had to deal with. She adores Disney and wants to do the DCP so if there were any ideas for incorporating that into a theme, I'm all 'Ears'. She isn't well enough YET to go away to college so we don't have a college theme to play off of.

Thanks!!

You won't be able to please everyone. Figure out your budget and go from there.

You can include a BBQ pulled chicken but it will add $$.
You can do nachos too. It can be food non meat eaters can eat or an appetizer. We buy a large can from Costco called Bueno(I think its in a blue can) $10 and large bags of corn chips from Sam's. The cheese fits in a large crockpot and it will feed many. Our parties are 40-50 ppl.

I think veggies and dip are good for healthy eating. Hopefully people that have special dietary needs will most/hopefully likely eat before going. I know people who have special diets or restriction will usually eat before going to parties and just nibble on things they can eat.

I would just do a regular cake. Buying several special food items will be very pricey.

Make a list to stay organize and that should help you stay on track

Pinterest is your friend. There are lots of great ideas on there. I would add a few more filling side dishes for those that don’t eat pork. Baked beans, slaw and potato salad are filling sides and won’t break the bank. You have both cake and cookies so maybe make one of the cookies vegan and gluten free.

For farmhouse I would use things like ball jars to serve out of. Wildflowers, little white tea lights and things like that would be cute but reasonable.

My cousin made twice baked potatoes for my sons graduation for me. Take advantage of people who offer to help. My sister brought cut up fruit. My brother made cole slaw. I bought pulled pork frozen from sams. Byron is the brand. It's very good. H made his own Buffalo wings. All of that was gluten free. We had chicken tenders that I ordered from a local grocery.

The hall cost me $100. The centerpieces were framed candid photos of my son. I put one recent and one from years ago on each table. Everyone loved them. I also bought votive holders from dollar store and star shaped candy dishes for m&ms.

I didn't take a single picture. :sad2:

I would do a menu based off the majority. As for those with allergies ( I have lots of food allergies) I always plan my own food I don’t expect a host to cater to me. If they have something I can have great if. Not it’s not a big deal.

If you want to offer cake to the gf you could always do a box mix and do cupcakes. Or buy a box of cookies. You stated you are having fruit salad so they could always have that for dessert.

Colors you could do in her favorite Disney character. That could incorporate the Disney theme some.

I think between the fruit, cookies, and the candy bar, there are enough dessert options for both the gf and vegan guests, no need for a special cake.

Could the color scheme could be her HS colors? Unless she doesn't like them, then I'd pick her 2 favorite colors and go from there.
For farmhouse style, I agree with PP: Pinterest is your friend! Check out your local thrift store for dish/jar options for the candy bar.

I also agree with PP to add baked beans and potato salad as side options. I also think having one meat option is limiting, since not everyone may enjoy pulled pork. I like PPs idea of the chicken wings or chicken fingers. At big parties I've dumped frozen meatballs and jarred sauce in a crockpot and called it a day. It's easy and delicious!

And the big thing, set a budget and stick to it! It's so easy to go overboard for parties, and most times, not necessary.

We did a taco bar for my son’s graduation party. I’m vegan and several of my family members have celiac disease, and with the taco bar it was easy to accommodate special diets. We had all the regular taco options but then added in things like vegan cheese and sour cream and gluten free tortillas. There are a lot of taco bar ideas on Pinterest.

I would add coleslaw or a tossed salad so that the gluten free and vegans can have that also. I think I did some gluten free cookies at ours 2 years ago. I just bought a few and told the GF people where they were since they are pricey. Also, make sure you have GF options on the candy bar. I think most people either pick their high school colors or soon to be college colors. Since you homeschool, then she can pick any color she wants!

I really like the taco bar idea. My DD graduating this year said please no pulled pork. I guess that is my go to. :-) Though, she doesn't like Mexican either. but I may use it anyway. For my older DD we had shredded beef and pulled pork.

The biggest mistake I made last year for DDs party was food. People hardly ate and there was sooooo much left over. She warned me people wouldn’t eat much because they hop around from party to party plus they usually have a nice meal with their extended families (like we did) but I didn’t listen. So if you think that applies to your guests, just beware.
The biggest hit was the chocolate fountain. I ordered it from Walmart for about $25. They LOVED it! It is pretty much all they ate. Ha!
Our grocery stores have frozen gluten free desserts. My SIL always grabs them for my nephew with celiac when they visit. You could get some of those on the side.
Can you make the pulled chicken in an instant pot or crock pot? It would be super easy!

That decor is tough. I think I’d go with Gerber daisies (bright colors) in mason jars (12 for $10 at Walmart) and do burlap table runners etc. Throw in some white lace. Check Costco and sams for flowers. I ordered online and had delivered 2 days before. Assemble morning of and done. Check hobby lobby and Walmart for the rest of the decor...burlap, lace, etc.
To save $$, order balloons online. There is a great selection. Then get the $30 helium tank and blow them up yourself.

Have fun!

Anyone have tips? I'm getting overwhelmed with the whole deal. We have about 75-100 people coming. Open house style party.

Current menu is pulled pork, pasta salad, chips, veggies/dip, fruit salad, cake, cookies, candy bar.

I have two families who are vegan, two dairy allergies (one of my own kiddos), several gluten free...the places here in the denver area who make a vegan *and* gf cake are so $$. What would you do to accommodate that? No cake for those people??

Another family coming does not eat pork. Thought about pulled chicken for them but how do you serve something that is only meant for one family?

My dd wants a theme with bright colors but also 'farmhouse' style. Is that even doable? What colors look good with farmhouse?

My dd has had a really rough high school life...very, very sick for two of her four high school years...so I hate to say I coddle her but the honest thing is, I do, and I want this party to be very special for her. I cannot spend a ton of money but I want this party to be memorable for her and all she's had to deal with. She adores Disney and wants to do the DCP so if there were any ideas for incorporating that into a theme, I'm all 'Ears'. She isn't well enough YET to go away to college so we don't have a college theme to play off of.

Thanks!!

So, the vegans, dairy free, and gluten-free folks won't be able to eat the cake. In that case, I'd ask your daughter if she wants a cake at this party (especially since 2 non-cake eaters are your own family, who won't be able to eat the leftovers), or just wants a private decorated mini-cake for herself (to get the grad pic).

In lieu of cake, I would probably make gluten-free, dairy-free Aldi Millville Crisp Rice treats (use a good butter sub) and gluten-free, dairy-free sugar drop cookies (Betty Crocker has a mix that you can adapt by just switching butter - you can also make 2 different cookies by adding peanut butter or vanilla, depending on desires and allergies) and move your fruit here (and keep it plain)...and be done. All 3 desserts will be portable, which will make them very desired at this type of party. And all 3 desserts can be eaten by all, including your fam, who will have all the leftovers...

For the main course...if you are making it anyway, I find you can do pulled pork and pulled chicken for about the same price if you get the protein on sale. Make sure the sauce you use is GF, b/c there are many sauces that are not.

For sides, I agree that I would add a dairy-free vinegar based coleslaw (BBQ and slaw is so classic and vinegar based will let it sit way longer than a mayo base), keep the pasta salad, and make a dairy-free potato salad or a vegan baked bean (but not both - pick the one your fam likes better). Have the veg tray and chips and call it a day.

I like this plan b/c the excluded food is obvious to all...and then everything else is okay, so you won't have to spend 5 minutes explaining the food to every guest who comes in and walking them through the buffet (ala a Disney chef) and you won't have to worry about your own kids accidentally getting anything dangerous at the party (yes, they are probably older, but a buffet has spoons that don't always go back in the right pots, reaching hands, spills, etc)...

Last edited:
We did the mason jars for both kids graduation parties that is sorta barn-y, but used bright colors. We had the large ones for tea and lemonade dispensers, but we also premade dozens of tea and lemonade in the jars and had them cold and in a metal bin that served as a cooler. One of the desserts was an ice cream bar, with the toppings in larger mason jars with little chalkboard signs labeling the toppings as well as the other food. It's a LOT of food to get together all at the same time, so we did a mixture of homemade and catering. We also did pulled pork, but with macaroni and cheese and nachos, so that the toppings could be used for either or both. But we also bought a large chick fila nugget tray and that was gone in the first hour.

For both kids, for their cakes, they wanted a cake representing the college they were going to. I had those made from regular bakers, but you can always get just an extra dozen cupcakes in coordinating colors that meet all of the other dietary needs. DD had a friend with allergies and her mom actually made cupcakes and used the icing of her school colors so it would match, and put them on the table around the cake.

A note on the rice krispie treats- vegetarians and vegans do not eat marshmallows. I have been able to find some animal free ones for my vegetarian daughter, but they run about $5 for a small bag, so it's not cost effective to buy a bunch.

Thanks!!

If I had a dietary restriction or preference, I'd just go to the party and eat what I could. I'm sure most people can find SOMETHING. There's no way I'd be cooking tons of extra things to accommodate everyone.

I would definitely not be buying a gluten free cake because two people coming to the party need to (or choose to) eat Gluten Free. They can skip the cake (lots of people who can eat gluten will probably skip the cake, too) or eat some fruit or something else instead. If the graduate was gluten free, I would probably not even make the main cake gluten free, I'd have a special small cake just for her/him.

My cousin made twice baked potatoes for my sons graduation for me. Take advantage of people who offer to help. My sister brought cut up fruit. My brother made cole slaw. I bought pulled pork frozen from sams. Byron is the brand. It's very good. H made his own Buffalo wings. All of that was gluten free. We had chicken tenders that I ordered from a local grocery.

The hall cost me $100. The centerpieces were framed candid photos of my son. I put one recent and one from years ago on each table. Everyone loved them. I also bought votive holders from dollar store and star shaped candy dishes for m&ms.

I didn't take a single picture. :sad2:

I love that centerpiece idea! I'm going to do that! I think I'm going to ask one of our family members to take photos so I don't have to think about it.

Thanks!!

I'm planning my son's party this year as well. My husband has dietary restrictions, and we NEVER expect accommodations when we eat at other people's houses. We usually offer to bring something, and I make it something he can eat. Although for graduation parties he just eats what he can or doesn't eat at all. They are usually open houses so he can eat before or after. It's different than being invited to dinner at someones house. I'm planning pulled pork for my son's graduation too.

We had about 100 people at DDs grad party. Didn’t have dietary restrictions to worry about. Just wanted to share some thoughts about the food,

Coleslaw is cheap and easy to make, and doesn’t take much room in the fridge. Grab a 2 bags of coleslaw shreds, and then add a jar of coleslaw mix. Mix it up in a gallon sized ziploc bag, the night before the party.

We had 3 different meats, pulled pork with BBQ sauce, and shredded beef in au jus sauce, and then ham. 3 different crock pots. You do not need to have enough of each to serve everyone. And then, we had cold cuts/bread as a back up, in case we ran out of hot meats (but we didn’t).

For the baked beans, get a “giant can”from Costco or Sams club. Those are really cheap, compared to the family-sized cans at the regular stores. Crock pots and nessco roaster will be your new best friends!

Also from Costco, they have the giant bags of tortilla chips, and salsa.

I made 20# of potato salad, only because it was a special family recipe. That was too much work!

For decorations-try checking Craigslist or marketplace/Facebook. There is bound to be someone selling wedding stuff, where you might be able to find some rustic decor items for cheap!

Have fun, be sure you try to enjoy the party too!

THANK YOU ALL!!! I appreciate all the tips and ideas!

After thinking through it all and the special diets involved (there are lots!), I think we are switching to a taco bar. We could meet the vegan, dairy free and gluten free much easier with that.

I still want to do a cake. My dd really wants a cake so I want to do that for her. I found a bakery that will make gf/df cupcakes but they still have eggs. So not vegan but I can buy vegan cookies at Whole Foods. Those are not gf though but at least would offer something to the vegans. I know one person is vegan and gf but he's a grown up and used to not eating everything. I, personally, do not have any dietary restrictions but I have a child with a peanut allergy and a child with a milk allergy. I never, ever, expect my kids to be able to eat everything at a party and I always come prepared with something for them.

Thanks for all the decorating ideas. I'm off to look at your suggestions!

I've done taco bars for huge crowds and here's my menu: ground beef taco meat, mixed veggies for tacos (bell peppers, onions, tomatillos if available and portabello mushrooms), salsa, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, tortillas, cilantro, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. The great thing is that you can prep almost everything in advance and it's really cheap for a crowd.

I've done taco bars for huge crowds and here's my menu: ground beef taco meat, mixed veggies for tacos (bell peppers, onions, tomatillos if available and portabello mushrooms), salsa, shredded cheese, guacamole, sour cream, tortillas, cilantro, shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. The great thing is that you can prep almost everything in advance and it's really cheap for a crowd.

Love it! Thank you :) Any ideas for buying guac in bulk reasonably, or should I just make it??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter