Planning ahead for possible split stay at 7mo...

kboo

DIS Veteran
We are planning a long-ish trip next summer and our 11-mo window opens next month. We will use home resort points to secure a place at 11mo, but if we would like to have the option to switch to a non-home rsort (e.g. AKV) for only PART of the stay, should I book 2 separate stays at 11 mo at the same home resort, and then use the online modification tool for the AKV part of the stay? Or is it now possible to modify online and keep some of the days of an original reservation? Would prefer to do it all online rather than wait on hold with MS.

Thanks.

We are planning a long-ish trip next summer and our 11-mo window opens next month. We will use home resort points to secure a place at 11mo, but if we would like to have the option to switch to a non-home rsort (e.g. AKV) for only PART of the stay, should I book 2 separate stays at 11 mo at the same home resort, and then use the online modification tool for the AKV part of the stay? Or is it now possible to modify online and keep some of the days of an original reservation? Would prefer to do it all online rather than wait on hold with MS.

Thanks.
You still cannot modify part of a reservation online. The best that you can do at this point is to make two separate reservations at your home resort and then modify the one you wish to switch at 7 months. If you can’t get the non-home resort, you can always have MS merge the two home resort bookings into one reservation at a later date.

Make two reservations at 11 months. Then you can modify the one for the resort you hope to get at 7 months. You will have two windows if you do it this way, but it's the easiest and best way (IMO) to have a good & easy chance at the reservation you need to make at 7 months.

If you can't get what you want at 7 months, you can waitlist. If it doesn't come through and/or you decide to give up the attempt, you can contact call MS (I recommend an email) and ask to have the two 11 month reservations combined.

That's what I did when I was hoping to stay at the Riviera for part of our December trip. I kept hoping DRR would open in time, but I finally decided the 12/19 date was going to be firm. :( I sent the email to MS and now have one reservation for a continuous stay at the BWV.

Good luck!

I would book one reservation at 11 months, then change it 5 days or so later.
In theory, you could book your first reservation at 11 months, and a few days later go to book the 2nd part of it, there is not guaranteed availability. Granted, at most resorts, this may be unlikely, but I myself would not even risk it.

Book the entire thing at 11 months then 11 months from the first day of 'Part B' call member services and have them split it into 2.

I think with what you want to do, 2 linked stays is the way to go as others have said. And you probably are fine booking it as 2 different stays using 2 different 11 month windows 5 days or so apart, just why risk the possibility of having an issue?

Put your spouse as the lead on the second and you on the first so MS won't automatically link them into one.
Excellent point. If they are linked you can not change them on line, they would have to be unlinked by MS. You can always link them much later - after your reservations are set - either you did your split stay, or you are committed to one resort, WL not coming thru, etc, etc

I would book one reservation at 11 months, then change it 5 days or so later.
In theory, you could book your first reservation at 11 months, and a few days later go to book the 2nd part of it, there is not guaranteed availability. Granted, at most resorts, this may be unlikely, but I myself would not even risk it.

Book the entire thing at 11 months then 11 months from the first day of 'Part B' call member services and have them split it into 2.

I think with what you want to do, 2 linked stays is the way to go as others have said. And you probably are fine booking it as 2 different stays using 2 different 11 month windows 5 days or so apart, just why risk the possibility of having an issue?
Because there have been several reports of Member Services refusing to split reservations. OP also said she preferred to do it online rather than call MS.

Because there have been several reports of Member Services refusing to split reservations. OP also said she preferred to do it online rather than call MS.
That is the OP's prerogative, and probably very valid, however, one still does run the risk of going back to make the 2nd part of that reservation and there not being any availability. That is a totally valid point
As I said, most cases, probably not a realistic concern, but some times it can be. Try something like that at the VGF in a studio in December and your chances are about the same as the proverbial snowball

And exactly how does that work, MS refusing to split reservations? If 2 members of the party are leaving for the 2nd half of the stay, is Disney making you buy the Dining plan for them after they are gone?

Last edited:
That is the OP's prerogative, and probably very valid, however, one still does run the risk of going back to make the 2nd part of that reservation and there not being any availability. That is a totally valid point
As I said, most cases, probably not a realistic concern, but some times it can be. Try something like that at the VGF in a studio in December and your chances are about the same as the proverbial snowball

And exactly how does that work, MS refusing to split reservations? If 2 members of the party are leaving for the 2nd half of the stay, is Disney making you buy the Dining plan for them after they are gone?

OP is going in the summer. Really no need to jump thru that hoop IMO.

I kind of like ALL of the approaches mentioned above.

* If you have the points, book the entire reservation at your home resort at 11 months. This makes sure you have the whole reservation, if worse comes to worst.

* A couple of days later, try to book at least the First day or two of the second block right at the 11 month window. Get the whole second block, if you have the points, or as many days as you have points for.

* Now go and use the program to Modify your original reservation, cutting it to just the days that you plan to stay at your home resort. Because you now have the first day, or two, of the second block, as a separate reservation at your home resort. Modifying the original reservation will free up those points on the part that you drop from the reservation.

* If you didn't have the necessary points before, you should have them now, after cutting back on your first reservation. Now, go back to the second reservation and pick up the days you want.

You will now have two reservations, both at your home resort for the two blocks you want. When the 7 month window opens, go and use the Modify feature of the program to modify the second block and switch it to AKL or wherever. If what you want IS NOT available right at the 7 month window, then immediately request a Wait List for the exact days you want, and specify that they should replace the second block of the reservations. A lot of people may have reservations at their home resort priority window, but will be doing just what you are doing, and will be switching (sometimes over a period of days) to another resort. So, a Wait List put in early, should give you a good chance of getting what you want.

You WILL NOT be able to get a VALUE ROOM of any type at AKL at the 7 month windows. I'm not saying that something might not open up, but it is very unlikely. However, in the summer, you should have your choice of Standard and Savannah View Studios, One Bedrooms and Two Bedrooms, right at the 7 month window. But, be ready and start checking a few days before. Sometimes strange things happen. For instance, today, August 5th, there are no Savannah View Studios at Jambo, at the exact 7 month window. That day is gone. But they do have Standard view and all the other options at Jambo, and everything at Kidani. Weird.

Make sure to search both Jambo AND Kidani. Both are EXCELLENT, and Kidani has a ton of rooms available.

Jambo generally books out significantly faster, but you don't need Jambo by any means. Jambo has an amazing lobby, and it has Boma, and Jiko, which are excellent restaurants, and the Mara quick service restaurant, but other wise, it has NOTHING on Kidani.

Kidani is massive with more availability. I generally recommend that if you stay in Kidani, you request a room near the central lobby area, unless you prefer the Pool, or maybe a partial Savannah view of the Pembe Savannah on the north, or maybe the south end of the building so you can walk to Jambo. If you like walking. The shuttle runs back and forth every 10 minutes, and also all the buses that stop at Kidani go next to Jambo, so walking would just be because you want to. Kidani has an excellent kids pool, an excellent restaurant in its own right in Sanaa, and Sanaa also functions as a quick service restaurant for breakfast so you don't need to go to Jambo.

I have reservations for October in Jambo, for a two bedroom AND a studio, but I kind of prefer Kidani because the rooms are a bit bigger and have an extra bathroom in the two bedroom units. Whereas the 2 bedrooms in Jambo are Lock-Offs

Like @Frederic Civish answer. If you have the points, this can do everything on line, so no waiting on hold, and no risk of getting shut out. AGAIN - that is probably not a realistic possibility, but it is a possibility, and one that can be eliminated..

Thanks all for your input! This is really helpful. We are going late summer, so no problems with availability (also we are likely doing 1-br or maybe even 2-br during that time, not a studio). I agree that if I were trying to do this with a non-home resort during fall frenzy, I'd probably make the longer reservation first and then call MS to split it later. But not likely to be a problem here. Thanks!

The Jambo lobby is amazing! But I think I'd prefer the Kidani rooms because of the extra bathroom. Splurge on the Savannah view - I'm still kicking myself for our 'buses view/smell/sound' view. ;) The walk between K and J is super easy - less than that upcoming VGF walk to MK. ;) And definitely go to Sanaa. We were underwhelmed by Boma and didn't make it to Jiko. Can you tell I'm jealous? :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter