Planning excursions - do in advance or onboard?

Lauraeyes2

Earning My Ears
What's the best recommendation for planning excursions at the various ports? Is it better/cheaper to do it at home (on your own through the various vendors) before you depart for your trip or is it more clean-cut to do it while onboard?

This is my 2nd cruise and last time was a short cruise and we only booked one excursion (and did that on the ship) but would like to hear what's the better way to do it.

If you choose to do Disney excursions, I would do it online as soon as your window opens to do so. Sometimes they sell out and then are not available on the ship. We have found at times an excursion directly with an outside company in some ports and prebook those as well online. I am way to much of a planner to wait until we get to the port.

Depends on where you're going and what you want to do. We generally book excursions outside of DCL, but book ahead to be sure we get to do what we want. We have on a couple of occasions thought we weren't going to go on an excursion and then had something pique our interest when we're in port and scheduled last minute.

On DCL, definitely book ahead of time online for their excursions. The more popular ones can sell out in advance. This seems a little different from some of the other cruise lines.

Even booking independently, if there is something you want to do the most reputable vendors in each port will book up. Some tours may be bookable when you get off the ship, but it really depends on if you want an island tour or something else in a lot of cases. It also depends on the port how much you should prefer having a bird in the hand. Nassau and Falmouth, I'd want to research vendors and have them booked.

And, of course, if you have special needs (mobility), always book ahead. Not every port on many cruises is going to be accessible friendly.

In either case, whether booking through DCL or privately, it is best to do it as soon as you can. I'm not sure what your itinerary is, but many shore excursions sell out ahead of time, so it's best to lock things in as soon as you can.

We usually make our own arrangements, either for the sake of economy or because we want options DCL doesn’t offer (certain golf courses for DH, or the ability to take DD on a trail ride despite her not being over the Disney minimum age of 12).

I will add that, unlike most responders here, we don’t necessarily book ahead of time. If we aren’t set on a certain excursion, and we want to do something weather-dependent (like a beach club) we might just wait until a day or two ahead and wander down to the Port Excursion desk and see what’s available. Some excursions do sell out in advance (such as anything involving dophins) but there is always something available to do right up until the day in port.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter