Planning first Disney trip in 31 years!

Pucks104

Mouseketeer
my DH and I are planning a couple only trip to Disney World probably between March and June 2019. The last time we went to Disney was 31 years ago with our 2 children. We stayed 7 nights at the Polynesian and had a wonderful trip! This time it will be just the 2 of us and for 7-10 days. We definitely want to stay at a Disney Resort probably one of the Deluxe resorts. Suggestions? Also suggestions of some of the “backstage tours”? My DH is a lifelong Atlanta Braves fan. How difficult is it to get to their Spring training games from Disney World if we chose to go in March? We will be celebrating 40 years of marriage and this will be our first “honeymoon trip”. I look forward to hearing your ideas for making it special!

Wow, 31 years later Disney World is a completely different place with twice as many theme parks and more than double the things to do!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Deluxe resorts. If you go during the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, you might consider booking Boardwalk, Yacht Club, or Beach Club. There are lots of exhibits and special food/drink stalls around World Showcase, and you might want to be able to pop into Epcot a few times in order to sample more of it. If so, Hopper tickets will be great for giving you the most flexibility.

I'm looking forward to trying the Backstage Magic tour. A friend can't say enough great things about it, but he would recommend it for people who are already very familiar with WDW since you will spend a lot of hours talking about the resort rather than actually enjoying the resort. You could try Keys to the Kingdom at Magic Kingdom, if you want an introduction to Walt Disney's vision and how it translated to the iconic castle park. Perhaps it would be good in the middle of your trip, so that you go back to MK with fresh eyes at the beginning, and then let the tour provide appreciation for things to look for later in your trip.

Braves are no longer at WWS at WDW for spring training. They are moving next year.
It depends on what you are into but here are some suggestions for things to do outside the parks; most have been added since you were there 31 years ago:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Have you though about renting a reservation from one of the DVC resorts? These are larger rooms than the normal hotel rooms and some have more amenities.
BLT, GFV, & PBV - near MK
BWV & BCV - near EPCOT & DHS
AKL-J & K - near AK
OKW & SSR - near DS
These are all deluxe resorts. Checkout the DVC Boards for more information on renting a reservation.

I agree, if possible visit during the Flower and Garden show at EPCOT. Gorgeous and lots of food booths to try. If you're interested in renting Disney Vacation Club points, do it 7 to 9 months in advance of your trip. Have a wonderful time.

Poly is our families 1st love but there a lots of nice deluxe resorts. We're staying at AKL for the 1st time in September and I can't wait. I'd recommend checking out the Disney site, youtube, and trip advisor to get an idea on what the resort theme is and get some reviews. Another favorite of ours is BC for it's proximity to Epcot and HS.

As far as activities, check out the listing ( also on the Disney site ) the Disboards you tube channel does a bunch of awesome videos ( I just love this group ) and they do a lot of reviews. This trip we're going Lunch with an Imagineer. My DH has never done this ( I have twice before ) and it's really great. You get to eat in an smaller group ( about a dozen people ) with an Imagineer. We're also doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour. I did this back in my youth so I'm excited to see if it's changed.

Have a great time planning!

Depends on who you are as a couple as to which resort I would pick. Each has a "feel" that speaks to different types of folks. For example, we love AKV - Kidani Village savanna view. For us - the muted colors, balcony overlooking the animals, quiet feel of the resort is exactly what we are looking for. Others find it dreary and too remote. For us - we'll likely never pick GF as the theming is too Victorian - too white - too sickly sweet to us - its about the opposite of who we are. So - I would recommend looking at the pictures, locations, services, etc at each one - and pick the one that seems to fit you.

If you haven't been in 31 years - you don't really need to ADD extras to make it special. There's going to be SO much for you to do - you don't need anything beyond the basics the ticket provides along with the free activities around the resort.

I would suggest making a couple of nice lunch or dinner ADRs. This is a special couple trip - so plan a couple nicer meals. You can't go wrong with any of the signature restaurants. I'd recommend making one of them at a resort that you are NOT staying at. For this - I would review the webpages - including the pictures and menus - on the Disney website. Then - I think allears.net does a nice job with dining review summaries - as does the thread on these boards for that. I don't think tripadvisor is good for dining reviews at WDW - those posters don't tend to be regular Disney guests. Our favorites are Jiko and Citricos. But my brother and SIL love Narcoossee and Ohana. I don't love their top choices, and they don't care for my top choices. So - read the menus. And double check menus closer to your trip dates as sometimes that ONE item that sounded awesome is now off the menu.

If you are going to go, go, go each day - any deluxe that appeals to you is fine. If you also want to spend time relaxing as a couple, maybe cook a few meals in, spend time on your balcony, eat breakfast and then go back to bed - then I think looking at the DVC studios or one-bedrooms is a good choice.

Time wise - I'd recommend between the first of March and before Memorial Day. Avoid the week before and after Easter and the week of Memorial Day. The big difference in that time frame is the average daytime high/nighttime low. For me - it's sometimes too cool in early March to really enjoy the pool except in the middle of the afternoon, but by the end of May, sometimes my significant other is sweating so much at the parks he is unhappy. So you kind of need to pick the happy weather medium for you as a couple. With the exception of the weeks around Easter - I don't think the crowds vary that much that you should use that factor to influence your timing.

Good luck!

We will be celebrating 40 years of marriage and this will be our first “honeymoon trip”. I look forward to hearing your ideas for making it special!
:welcome: to DISboards!

Congratulations on your upcoming 40th anniversary! What a wonderful trip you have planned!

DW and I are closing in on our 46th and still love spending time at Disney.

The last time we went to Disney was 31 years ago with our 2 children. We stayed 7 nights at the Polynesian and had a wonderful trip!

So much has changed in 31 years that you will be amazed by all of the new magic. Also amazingly nostalgic as you walk through the tunnel into the Magic Kingdom.

We definitely want to stay at a Disney Resort probably one of the Deluxe resorts. Suggestions?

I am sure that the lure of the Poly is strong and it would be a wonderful resort to revisit. Especially if you plan to spend a lot of time in the Magic Kingdom.

That said, I will second bryanb's recommendation of selecting one of the Epcot resorts. DW and I made many trips to the Boardwalk Inn and love the theming. But it is the proximity to Epcot that makes it so special. Being able to wander over to Epcot in the evening and stroll the World Showcase is magical. Also check out the Beach or Yacht Club and see which of the Epcot resorts catches your fancy. I also like the Boardwalk Inn as almost all of the rooms have a balcony and I would enjoy relaxing out there.

If you are going to go, go, go each day - any deluxe that appeals to you is fine. If you also want to spend time relaxing as a couple, maybe cook a few meals in, spend time on your balcony, eat breakfast and then go back to bed - then I think looking at the DVC studios or one-bedrooms is a good choice.

I am also going to second this suggestion. DW and I splurged once on a one bedroom Boardwalk Villa and really enjoyed the extra room and kitchen.

I also suggest you time your spring visit with the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. All of the extra flowers and gardens really make Epcot come alive. And there are additional food and drink booths to sample.

For an adult visit to WDW I don't think you can go wrong with one of the Epcot resorts.
Wishing you a pixiedust: visit!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter