Planning First Trip to San Francisco

I'm glad you saw the Winchester Mystery House! That's always one of my recommendations, but people who visit SF don't usually make time for it.

I have wanted to visit the Winchester Mystery House since I saw it on 'That's Incredible' in the early 80's! No joke. I will get there someday.

We booked ourselves into the St. Francis for a weekend in June at a killer rate. I am so excited to go back to SF! It will be DH and DS12's first time there.

@E&Cmom - Your trip is almost here! Please let us know how you liked it!

I have wanted to visit the Winchester Mystery House since I saw it on 'That's Incredible' in the early 80's! No joke. I will get there someday.
Never been there, and I've lived in the Bay Area nearly all my life. I've certainly seen it from a distance. Heck - I watched movies at the now demolished Century 21/22/23 movie theaters in San Jose which were right across the street and one was next to the Winchester Mystery House. They were huge Cinedome structures where the largest auditoriums seated over 1000.

We love the crepe place on Pier 39. the mirror house was fun. The sea lions are fun to watch.

you can take the cable car all the way to the end (beginning?) where it turns around to go back out. And there's a little museum there.

We rented a car at the airport and drove to the Winchester House then to the Jelly Bean Factory, drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, down Lombard street and returned the car at a place near Fisherman's Wharf a couple blocks from our hotel. We didn't want a car for the whole trip but just having it for one day really worked out for us.

How did you pay the toll? Post above makes it sound tricky with a rental car.
BTW we plan to go next spring break and the Jelly Belly factory and Winchester house plus Alcatraz are our must see’s.

Never been there, and I've lived in the Bay Area nearly all my life. I've certainly seen it from a distance. Heck - I watched movies at the now demolished Century 21/22/23 movie theaters in San Jose which were right across the street and one was next to the Winchester Mystery House. They were huge Cinedome structures where the largest auditoriums seated over 1000.
Ha! I worked at Century 22 for 3.5 years in high school & college. FYI they aren't demolished; they're just standing there unoccupied. Such a shame. I loved going to those theaters, especially for "event" movies like Star Wars.

We booked ourselves into the St. Francis for a weekend in June at a killer rate. I am so excited to go back to SF! It will be DH and DS12's first time there.

@E&Cmom - Your trip is almost here! Please let us know how you liked it!
I love the St. Francis. If I have to stay overnight in the city, that's my hotel of choice if I can get a good rate. It's in a great location. BTW it'll be cold in SF in June, so pack layers (or be one of those families that has to buy San Francisco souvenir sweatshirts lol). Have a great trip!

Glad you enjoyed! Another item for next time: head to a ballgame at Oracle Park (aka AT&T Park, aka SBC Park, aka Pacific Bell Park.... so many names over the years). Buy some cheap seats and wander around the park at gametime, or enjoy the view from the upper deck in right field.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!