• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Planning for a pack of single girls ... help!

kitnrose

Earning My Ears
While in college, 6 of us girls became really tight and now we're trying to schedule a trip to WDW for a reunion. As I'm the only one really familiar with the park, the planning falls to me. Which is where the trouble starts. I've been many times, but always with my wonderful mom or aunt, both of whom are super-planners, a trait it looks like I've inherited. The girls I'm going with are the opposite... like their idea of planning ahead is actually checking the movie listings before driving out to the theater. Have any of you had a similar situation with family reunions or such where your level of detailed planning would lead to certain mutiny while their level of drifting would lead to missing so much? I guess what I need most is someone to say "relax, even if you spend all four days in line for Small World you'll be with your friends, and you're in WDW, so it's worth it." :)

You're right - planning anything for a group is tough. Especially if they are the "seat of their pants" type.

If it were me - I'd plan the evenings instead of the days...choosing a time for dinner and a place each evening with regard to what's going on at the parks. For example: one night the plan might be to see Spectro and Fireworks at MK, so I'd plan an early dinner at one of the restaurants at the GF (Narcoosees or Citricos) and then take the monorail over to MK with the sole purpose of finding a nice relaxing spot (early) for viewing both the parade and fireworks. Another night would be viewing Illuminations and choosing a restaurant either inside EPCOT or over on the Boardwalk (with dancing at Atlantic dance or hanging out at Jelly Rolls afterward). Same with Fantasmic over at the Studios - dinner before (with or without the dinner package) at either Mama Melrose or Brown Derby. Have an evening planned at PI and have dinner over at Downtown Disney first.

Days, I'd take as they come...you might have some who like to sleep in and take in the parks in the afternoon or some that love to explore the parks and the best time is to go right as they open. If you all have cell phones (or the 2-way radios) you can let each other know what you're up to and they can meet up with you as they like.

Have a great time!
-LA

I can relate to this because we've done a few girls only spring training (baseball) trips & one of us is fanatical about it! The same way that I'd be for Disney. :)

We let her do the baseball planning because it doesn't really matter to anyone else. We split up if neccessay, so that she doesn't miss something important.

Since I'm the family Disney planner, what I've done is tried to get suggestions/requirements from everyone. I made up small (!)packets of info about the rides and restaurants (printed some menus from deb wills site) and gave them out to everyone. I asked them to tell me at least a few things they wanted to do & then worked out a basic schedule and made some PS.

It was everyone's chance to tell me their must do's, and if they didn't, we didn't. :)

With a group, it's helpful to stay onsite so that everyone can get around on their own. So if someone is sick, or tired or just has to get to the MK NOW, it's not a problem. 6 people is a lot to keep together at all times & you'll have more fun if you can split up easily.

Personally, I'd plan for a character dinner or lunch, an evening out at PI, possibly a water park visit, and some group time at the parks. Leave time for shopping or sleeping or the pool. Everyone will probably want to stay together on Day 1 & maybe day 2 so that would be a good time to plan a fun lunch (Garden Grill or Crystal Palace maybe).

Another fun evening - dinner at 'Ohana and then the fireworks from the beach or from the restaurant itself.

Can you at least plan the days you will be there and where you will be staying? Once you get that far, you really don't need to do anything more in advance.

After you get there you can decide when you want to get together for a meal, etc. Seeing that you are planning this as a group affair as opposed to just going solo, each of you should expect to spend a lot of time at least in small groups even if you slow each other up.

>>> I need most is someone to say "relax, even if you spend all four days in line for Small World you'll be with your friends, and you're in WDW, so it's worth it."

Telling a teenager not initially interested in Disney that he can spend all his time in the video game arcade is not such a bad idea.

But really you should not choose WDW for a multi day reunion location unless all of your post college age friends are at least interested in going there.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm
<small>
9/65 Disneyland (with family)
all the rest solo
3/75 *World Inn (now Doubletree Club)
4/85 *Kon-Tiki (now Econolodge Hawaiian)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
9/97 All Star Music
11/98 ASMu & first premium annual pass
12/98 *Knights Inn on 192
9/99 All Star Movies
12/00 All Star Sports & PAP#2
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
1/03 *Motel 6 & ASSp & PAP#3
11/03 Pop Century planned
* off site
</small>

Thanks all who answered. :) I'm feeling more confident on how to approach this. We're definately staying on property (either PORS or another moderate resort) both because we're gonna do this trip right and because figuring out how to share a rental car would be insane, so we'll just rely on Disney busses. The problem isn't with them not wanting to go but with them wanting to go but not understanding what a big thing this is. Of the six, only two of us have ever been before, so explaining to the other four that this isn't a place you can just wake up and decide then what to do is a little hard. I'm going to definately use the suggestions to do some general planning on my own then give them specific choices for meals. We'll be going in dif directions most of the time, the meals should help us get back together and have the together time we want. :) And PI is a definate must!

Again, thanks for all the moral support! :)

kit

any possibility that you go in September - it is off-season - so their lack of planning won't be a big issue.

Now if you are going in July or Thanksgiving or Spring Break (next year) or Christmas - hey you go your way - I'll go mind. then you won't get mad when they say "no".

Besides that is alot of people - try to have one meal every day together - but don't get upset if someone misses that...

that is all I would try to plan - unless you know that they are going to want to be with you all the time - then plan the trip hand out the schedule on the fly down and change if necessary.

oh one more thing - make sure everyone can afford to stay on-site - WDW is wonderful - but it is very expensive!!!

You can ask this by saying that you plan on staying at POR and give the prices at that resort for when you are going - if someone says that is too high - then give the prices of the All star and one of the deluxes.

If you want to save some money and everyone is a really good friend (and they might not be after this trip) - then look into FW - 6 people can stay in one cabin - I think the extra charge over 2 adult is $15.

You could also rent some points from a DVC member (see DVC rental/trades) on this site - and stay in a 2-bedroom villa at either OKW, BWV, VWL or BCV. then everyone is in the same room (which may or may not work well) and it is easier to plan stuff together.

both of these options can save money by having a kitchen.

Good luck with this. I think I would plan my trip and meet up with the group in the evening for dinner or something.

It is so frustrating to tour with a group, for me. I've done it. I spent an entire e-night one year standing and waiting while the group "talked". It about did me in ;)

Just plan what <i>you</i> want to do and then do it. Give a copy of your itinerary to your friends and let them do what they want. You can make arrangements to meet up with them in the evening and spend the evenings together :)

Hi Kitnrose,

A few years ago I did a last minute vacation with friends. When I say last minute, it was almost virtually that. We ended up at AS (3 girls in one room with one vanity - insanity). I felt that I never slept and was constantly on the run. I needed a vacation from the vacation.

Talk to your friends before you go. Make sure that everyone can afford to stay at a certain resort or would want to eat in a certain rest. There will always be one or two who are going to say something either during the trip or right afterwards. Just remember we can't make everyone happy. However, staying onsite would be your best option due to Disney's transportation.

Like the above advise, I would mostly plan out only one or two things a day. For instance, plan a late lunch (1:30ish for a sit down character meal). This way the later sleepers can make it as well as the early risers. Later that night you can meet up again just for drinks (this will keep cost down for those who don't want to pay $30 for a sit-down nice dinner) say at the bar at California Grill. Make sure that you let your friends know to meet you there (make sure your there 15/20 minutes before the fireworks at MK go off), go out on the deck and you'll all have a great view of the fireworks at MK when they go off. Then you can split up as you wish or go as a group someplace else.

Also I would suggest that you leave a few rest. ressie's to be made at other resort rest. I would suggest a night dinner at Boma at AKL and then everyone can tour the resort after and go out to an observation area looking over the savannahs and the animals. You never know, all 6 of you may want to stay there next trip. Wilderness Lodge, Poly and GF are also great to tour and each have their own unique atmospheres.

Although I do recommend PI, don't forget a visit to the Boardwalk. Lastly, if everyone has a little money to spend, maybe some spa time all together would be nice. Leave everyone time to go at their own pace and everyone should have a good time.

Last hint, make sure that they all understand the basics about how the tickets and transportation work, esp. the transportation. People who are new sometimes don't leave in the proper amount of travel time to make it from their resort to a rest. by the time the ressie is to begin.

I am planning a trip for 4 adults in October. I am the only "planner" of the group. Instead of just hoping I pick out things they might enjoy. I send the info on items and ask if this is something they might enjoy. for example I emailed them info (including price) on the HDDR and the Luau and asked which one they preferred. I do this in small doses so as not to over whelm them.

My friends are pretty laid back and will go with the flow, but I am not over planning. I have made hotel ressies, and have a very rough guide of what I would like to accomplish, but I haven't made PS's for every meal. I am planning the big "must do" meals and everything else will fall into place.

Also be prepared to do things on your own. I love my friends but I need some down time. so if you really want to hit the parks at 8AM go for it and leave your cell phone number on the night stand and tell the others to call you when they get to the park and you can meet up then. Don't let others lack of motivation spoil what you want to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter