Planning Honeymoon! Which WDW Resort??

dznybound

Mouseketeer
My fiance and I are in the process of planning our Walt Disney World Honeymoon. We are having a tough time deciding which resort to stay at. We've narrowed it down to the Polynesian, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, or Yacht Club.

Would any past WDW honeymooners mind sharing where you stayed and any tips or recommendations you may have.

Thanks!
Mary

my personal favorite is the Boardwalk.. I love the feel of the hotel.. and the location (it's so close to EPCOT and MGM.. and has a life of it's own - same goes for Yacht Club)

That being said.. if you haven't yet stayed at a "Monorail" resort.. do that.. stay at either the GF or the Poly..

I haven't stayed at the GF (it's not my cup of tea - but that idea is changing) .. but I *love* the Poly.. very romantic and exotic.. both have great restaurants.. and the Poly has the awesome new pool.. (the GF pool is gorgeous but not as "cool" imho)

I think having the monorail right there is amazing.. convienent and just plain COOL!!

What time of year are you planning on going??

it's a tough one.. but very fun to make!

tell us a little bit about what you like to do and we can help more..

:)
beth

Depends how long you're staying, if it's more than a week you may want to pick 2 resorts, and switch half way.

Well, my boyfriend and I aren't planning our Honeymoon yet, but I know that when we do we already know our dream resort. The Polynesian looks absolutley perfect for a honeymoon...you have the island theme with waterfalls...birds....tiki....and a beautiful view of the MK...not to mention the monorail to get there.....it's great. :) I look forward to the day when we are planning ours!!!!!

My vote is for the Grand Floridian. IMO, it's such a beautiful, romantic resort. Plus, it has LOTS of neat amenities. You get some stuff in regular rooms at the GF that you must stay in a concierge room to get at the other deluxes (like terry bath robes and a minibar). Have a wonderful time whichever resort you choose!

Even though we love the Boardwalk and have stayed there many times, we are planning on staying at the Poly for our second honeymoon to celebrate our 20th anniversary next year.

When we honeymooned in September of Last year we stayed at the BW Inn. OUSTANDING> We shere there for 10 days and Disney just caters to honeymooners. Before going to WDW I called and made requests (like BW view), 5 days before our trip I faxed the hotel with our requests. Any time I talked to Disney employees I mentioned we our honeymooners. (Believe me tell everyone that you are on your honeymoon). We got so many free things it just made our special vacation that much better. BW upgraded us from Standard room to a Concierge room on the 4th floor overlooking the BW. We got free Mickey and Minnie wedding figurines from the hotel and most places we ate at gave us desert or a drink for free.

Now for a quick breakdown:
BW - see above our favorite, if you enjoy going dancing or bars, the Boardwalk is your choice ( the dueling piano bar is absolutely great (can't remember the name).
GF - very elegant and romantic, stayed there when I was younger - too quiet for me
Poly - seems to be the most talked about resort for honeymoons, never been there
YC - very nice we ate over there a few times, Yachtman's steakhouse is excellent place to eat. I prefer the BW, though.

All in all use the boards to get information on the resorts but all 4 you listed will definitely make it a special vacation.

Congratulations on your marriage and have fun on your honeymoon.

Thanks for all the wonderful replies. We will be honeymooning June 2002 so we still have some time to make a decision. All the resorts seems so nice....we are now throwing around the idea of the Animal Kingdom Lodge too!

Thanks again!
Mary

I know this isn't one of the resorts you had originally picked out, but I stayed at the WL for my honeymoon. A whole week of romance. It was absolutely breath taking. The lobby will blow you away. We loved going down late in the evening and sitting in the jacuzzi at night with all the lights lit up. It was very romantic. We could sit and watch the electrical water pageant from out balcony at night too. In the mornings, we would walk down to thru the winding pathways and watch the ducks along the water. I will never forget how magical the WL personnel made our stay. They upgraded us to a court yard view and we had champagne waiting for us in our room and then the next day they sent us a romance pkg, complete with bubble bath....

The WL will always be our "special place". I can't wait to go back.

Hi!

We honeymooned at the Grand Floridian for two weeks in June 2000. It was amazing! We had a room in the Sago Cay building with a king bed and a perfect view of the castle. This would be my choice for a honeymoon (obviously).

We recently stayed at the Polynesian for our one year anniversary, and although I loved the tropical ambiance and the restaurants here, the rooms (to me) seemed dark and dingy and kind of plain. The rooms at the Grand Floridian are bright and open with clever theming in each building. Orour building was the Swan theme which has "Wind in the Willows" characters hidden in the bedspread. The other themes are cameo (fairies from Sleeping Beauty), Alice in Wonderland and Floral. Our room was a dormer room which has vaulted ceilings and a private balcony. However, I have heard that the regular rooms have wide open balconies and if you have a MK you can lay in bed and see the castle.

We ate at three of the restaurants at the GF...1900 Park Fare, Narcoosee's and the Grand Floridian Cafe. We like 1900 best!

I love the Grand for its Victorian charm and romantic appeal. Plus it is sooo close to the MK...a short monorail ride away. And then you can take the boat back to the GF from the MK.

I hope this mini review helps. Be sure to check out California Dreaming's FAQ about the GF on the resort board. Also, Tikiman has a website devoted to the Polynesian, so you can get lots more information about these two resorts!!! Good luck, congratulations and I know what ever resort you choose you'll have a great time. After all, you'll be in Walt Disney World!

My husband and I had our Grand Plan honeymoon Oct 14-24th 2000 at the Grand Floridian and it was WONDERFUL! There is no competition the Grand Floridian is marvelous and they completely treated us like royalty for 2 weeks! We belong to the DVC and purchased our points at the boardwalk villas (we actually joined the DVC while on our honeymoon) which are beautiful, but if you're on your honeymoon don't you want to be more secluded? The boardwalk is so busy, the Grand Floridian is SO laid back, and elegant. You'll be very happy with the GF. Congrats and enjoy!
:wave:

hi: my son and dil are there on their honeymoon right now. the first 5 nights will be in a 1br villa at bwv and the second 5 nights will be at the gf. she's always wanted to stay there, so now that i have a little princess, why not spoil her?

I say go with the Polynesian. As of the last survey, the Polynesian had become the #1 honeymoon resort in WDW.

Steve

We stayed at the Grand Floridian for our honeymoon and absolutely loved it! We've also stayed at the Polynesian, and it was nice, but for a romantic resort, the GF is the BEST!!

Well, we've stayed in all of the ones you've narrowed it down to (except YC, we stayed at BC), and if I had my honeymoon to do over again, I'd go to the GF - just like we did the first time. I just loved the luxury of the GF. The robes, the guy who opens the door for you, etc.. It was like a fantasy come true - perfect for our 10 night honeymoon. The staff surprised us with a basket of sparkling cider and fruit.

My favorite part of the honeymoon had to be enjoying the grand break-fizz on our balcony while watching the monorails pas by.

--Kathy

We stayed at the GF for our honeymoon back in 1997. It was very nice - we didn't receive any champagne upon arrival even though I had mentioned a bunch of times it was our honeymoon. I finally had to request it, and we got it! The next year for our anniversary, we stayed at the Poly, and I have to say I loved it better than GF. The GF is definitely beautiful and classy, but in terms of romoance Poly can't be beat. Its dimly lit walkways at night are Soooo romantic, and the whole atmosphere is more romantic. It's dark and cozy, GF is more brightly lit. On our first day, first 10 minutes, we got a picture frame for our anniversary, so I'm sure that for a honeymoon they'd definitely do something nice. It really is a close choice though, they're both beautiful.

I know it's not on your list, but we also Honeymooned at the Wilderness Lodge and loved it. It's so cozy and nice at the WL. That's our favorite resort still.

Of those you picked, I personally would go for either the Grand Floridian or the Boardwalk. Boardwalk is great for its location and feel. Grand Floridian seems the definition of luxury and has great choices for honeymoon meals :D

BOARDWALK! BOARDWALK! BOARDWALK! The location can't be beat, the Boardwalk is at your fingertips, a million restaurants in walking distance, a beautiful deluxe hotel. That would be my choice!!

Hello Mary!

I can understand how hard it is to pick the perfect hotel! I know we threw around all of the different deluxe hotels for quite some time.

We stayed at the Polynesian Garden Concierge! It was very blissful! The grounds are beautiful, lush and tropical, you really feel like you are in Hawaii! The Concierge staff was great too, took care of all of our restaurant reservations and booked me a trip to the spa, ahhh it was great!!!

There are lots of great restaurants at the resort too, Ohana's where you can see the MK fireworks! Kona Cafe has scrumptious desserts and their legendary Tonga Toast!

The new pool is done too, with a Volcano water slide!

Overall it was a wonderful Honeymoon and I would stay there again in a heartbeat!!!

If you are looking into the Animal Kingdom Resort, consider splitting your stay with the Polynesian. For one you would have the beauty of the AK Resort and quiet time, and for the Polynesian you would have that peacefulness and also the convience of the monorail and the TTC for transportation!

Have a wonderful Honeymoon though, whatever you decide!!! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!