Planning Question: weekends vs weekdays

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
Well, this question might not matter at all since our trip is planned for 8/6-8/12 specifically for SWL. :joker:

But I’m trying to plan it all out so some advice can’t hurt. Here is my tentative plan:

Wednesday- Disneyland
Thursday (MM)- Disneyland
Friday- Universal Studios
Saturday- Off day to rest!
Sunday- Disneyland
Monday- Disneyland

Now here’s my question: do you think Friday is the best day for Universal? Or should we do the third day Disney and do Universal on Sunday? Traffic down to Universal better or worse on Friday vs Sunday?

Like I said, it will likely all be madness anyways but I can’t help but over think what day we’re doing what like I usually do when we plan trips.

At this point, I'm tentatively inclined to agree that it won't really matter because SW:GE is going to mean crowds in the parks regardless of the day. You'll be there before the summer AP blockouts end, so that won't really a difference and a fair number of schools are still out (LAUSD doesn't go back until mid-month). At this point, I would just with whatever schedule works best for your group and plan for crowds on all days.

My knee jerk reaction is that if you are day tripping to USH from DLR do that on a weekend to improve your chances of avoiding traffic. So if Saturday is your rest day for sure, I would do USH on Sunday.

:wizard:

Last edited:

But I’m trying to plan it all out so some advice can’t hurt. Here is my tentative plan:

Wednesday- Disneyland
Thursday (MM)- Disneyland
Friday- Universal Studios
Saturday- Off day to rest!
Sunday- Disneyland
Monday- Disneyland

Like you said, it may end up not mattering anyway, but keep an eye on the crowd reports once SWGE officially opens in June. The good thing is you'll still have plenty of time at that point to assess the crowd pattern changes, if any, and to adjust your schedule accordingly. But Mondays over the past year have been consistently busy days and Saturdays have been pretty good (depending on the AP blockout calendar). Since your dates are still within the lower AP block for DL, this may not make a difference for Saturday. But just keep in mind that you might want to switch your Saturday and Monday schedule. You'll know by mid/late July what the crowd patterns look like on those days (both days may be slammed regularly!), so you can make your decision before your trip.

Last edited:

I went to USH last year on a weekend and it was soooooooo crowded! I’m not sure if it’s better during the week.

I went to USH last year on a weekend and it was soooooooo crowded! I’m not sure if it’s better during the week.

That’s what I’ve always heard about Universal which makes me wonder if we should keep our plan for there on a weekday since I’m assuming Disney is going to be peak crowded everyday?

Like you said, it may end up not mattering anyway, but keep an eye on the crowd reports once SWGE officially opens in June. The good thing is you'll still have plenty of time at that point to assess the crowd pattern changes, if any, and to adjust your schedule accordingly. But Mondays over the past year have been consistently busy days and Saturdays have been pretty good (depending on the AP blockout calendar). Since your dates are still within the lower AP block for DL, this may not make a difference for Saturday. But just keep in mind that you might want to switch your Saturday and Monday schedule. You'll know by mid/late July what the crowd patterns look like on those days (both days may be slammed regularly!), so you can make your decision before your trip.

That’s a good point too! What’s tricky is usually we all need a break in the middle from the walking and heat.... I can tough it out but not sure my group and kid can!

... That’s a good point too! What’s tricky is usually we all need a break in the middle from the walking and heat.... I can tough it out but not sure my group and kid can!
If you do switch up your break days, that might be a good day to do all your shows, Animation Academy, TS meals, etc. -- things with a/c that involve sitting -- everyone gets to do fun things in the parks while getting some rest from all the walking, but without missing ride time because this was scheduled break time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!