Planning strategies for a WDW running race...so many questions!

KarenB

<font color=green>Goes to the mall and sniffs Yank
DH and I want to do one of the running races at Disney World, but we are trying to figure out how to plan for it. We are DVC members and would need to use points for our stay. I would do a half marathon and he would do a 5K.

Do you secure the race first, then try to get a resort reservation using your points? Or do you get a room reservation then hope you will be able to get a spot for a race? We have points at Saratoga Springs which we can do 11 months out and thinking it should be fairly easy to get a studio. Any suggestions as to the best 5K and half marathon we should try for? I am a teacher, but I can use personal days to go during the school year.

Thanks so much!
Karen

I would first try to figure out what race you wanted to run....

The Marathon Weekend is the oldest race at WDW and 'generally' the easiest to get into.

The Princess Weekend comes next in the year in late February

Both of these races are morning races where all events start at 5:30 or 6 (ish) for the 5k.

In the fall the Wine and Dine Half marathon happens in early November. It is a night race. The 5k occurs early the day of the half and the half starts approx 10pm.

There is a 10 mile event in October - the ToT 10 miler. It follows a similar schedule to the W&D.

For the two fall races, not every DVC resort is a host resort, so you may need to hail a cab or drive to the races if you are not staying in a host resort. The two winter races do not require alternative transportation as all resort are host resorts.

Note that the next race registration coming up will be the Princesses.

Once you decide on a race, plan on coming into town 1-2 days pre-race so you can attend the expo and pick up your race packet. It also gives you a day or two to acclimate to the central FLA weather.

I would reserve a room at the 11-month window for your home resort and plan on making revisions to the reservation at the 7-month window. Many resort room types sell out earlier than the 7-mointh window opens. By registering at the 11-month window you are assured of having a reservation.

Race registration opens later than the 11-month window so you will register after locking in your initial room. I would put an appointment in your calendar to remind you to enter the race. DVC members will get a week head start on registration over the general public. Look up perks on the member page.

I have run all races and I think all have great properties. With the first open entry coming for for the Princess, I would suggest locking my plans into that race. Since DH is in the 5k and you the half, there is no real gender issue with DH running the 5k (really there is not for the half either, but some may take offense to running a female centric event).

Not sure if this helps - good luck

cewait thank you!!! That was a huge help!

Always try to get into the races first. They sell out so quickly! ( not so much the 5K's but the bigger races too). You should consider doing the 5K with your partner. They really are a lot of fun! Don't forget to tell him to stop and grab some character pictures!

Ditto on what was already mentioned....buy into the races first. This past registration for the marathon weekend in January of 2015...sold out races in a matter of hours!
If you book the room...well you can always cancel it (but I don't know how the points system works)

The 5k and half have already sold out for next January's races so as mentioned already...the next registration is Princess which opens up July 15th and will probably sell out that same day.

I am planning to register for the Princess....however...unlike marathon weekend in January I do not think all the hotels have bus transfers to the start and from the finish line. I am not 100% sure on this but I think only a select few offer the bus rides from the hotel early in the am. So the hotel you are considering to stay out...may not be one of the hotels that has a bus.

You can cancel DVC reservations if you don't get registered for the race.

2014 Princess Weekend had Disney transportation from all Disney Resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter