Planning Tokyo Disney trip in early December

Lovetotravelmum

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

We are a family of 5.. DH and I and our three children ages 6, 4 and 2.5 at time of travel.

After reading all these great reviews about Tokyo Disneyland we decided that Tokyo might not be a bad idea after all. Last year we visited California Disneyland with our three children and they LOVED it!!

So this year we re planning to surprise them with a trip to Tokyo Disneyland.
I have so many questions so here goes

1) Whats the weather like in early december?

2)We would love to stay at the Disneyland resort hotels but the prices are sky high.. Now considering Sheraton Grande or Tokyo Bay Hilton.. Any experiences staying here? Is it close enough for us to return to the hotels for a mid afternoon break?

3) What are the meals like in Disneyland and Disneysea? Where are the character dining?

4) We plan to see Tokyo before heading to Disneyland. Any suggestions of hotels in Tokyo that is centrally located ?

Thanks everyone.. That's it for now.. No doubt I will have more questions for all of you..

Wen

Hi Wen!!

My DH and I will be in Tokyo 12/3-12/9! It's our first trip so I have similar questions!

Here's what I've gathered so far....

I've heard it's cold and a jackets are a must.

2)We would love to stay at the Disneyland resort hotels but the prices are sky high.. Now considering Sheraton Grande or Tokyo Bay Hilton.. Any experiences staying here? Is it close enough for us to return to the hotels for a mid afternoon break?

We have the Sheraton Grande booked. After reading various trip reports and checking out the reviews on various hotel sites, these 2 sound great and very close to the parks. I google earthed them and they both are literally right across the street!

3) What are the meals like in Disneyland and Disneysea? Where are the character dining?
I am also curious about this. I am extremely interested in the Lilo and Stitch lunch but you can only make reservations there or in Japanese on the site.

HTH! :)

It snows over there, so it can get very cold.

Sheraton and Hilton are right next to the monorail line, so very close, and would be easy to get to for arvo breaks.

I think the meals at TDR are supposed to be really good. Not sure how to book reservations there. I've read a few TR's where they have been able to walk up and get right in. So maybe not needed? :confused3

We're staying at the Century Souther Tower Hotel in Shinjuku. Shinjuku is one of the biggest train stations in Tokyo, we're planning on staying there as it's amongst all the neon lights and what not, and should be able to get everywhere from the station. However there are plenty of other areas which are a little bit quieter/laid back, if you'd prefer that for your kids.

Thanks for the quick replies..

The kids would love the snow!! But I hope the weather would be mild and not freezing cold..we were in San Francisco early December last year and the kids loved the mild weather then..

We are seriously contemplating the Sheraton Grande too.. We might be there at the same time actually EvilinaDM101!!

Have to re read Lurkyloo's trip report again regarding character dining.. Such a great trip report and pictures!!

As for Tokyo.. We have a few options..one of them Shibuya Excel Tokyu? Need somewhere near those massive toy stores!!:cool1:

Thanks again everyone!!

Snow in Tokyo is a rarity, maybe once a winter. In 2010 we had one storm where there was a centimeter that melted by the next day. This year there was hardly any at all. Temperatures don't usually get below freezing in winter, but a coat is a must.

As long as you're staying in an area connected to a station on the Yamanote line, you'll have no problem getting around. (It's a loop line throughout Tokyo that will get you most everywhere.) Shinjuku is a huge station and the area can be a bit daunting, but there are lots of tourists there, so it's probably a safe bet. Shibuya is also pretty cool, and the station is very centrally located. There are online English guides to the train system (Tokyo Subway Guide, etc.) that will help you figure out the fastest/cheapest ways to get where you want to go on the train system, but if you ever get lost you can always ask the ticket office at a station.

Cold, but I live in Hawaii so even Tokyo in the spring is cold. I would bring a puffy jacket for the parks and layer. Disneysea is especially windy near the American Waterfront area.

The Sheraton is arguably nicer than the Westins in the US. You can easily return for a break. The hotel is directly across from the monorail station. I'd say the closest comparison would be like leaving MK to take a break at the Poly.

Also, the Sheraton runs frequent deals. I got a triple for $120, all taxes included back in 2010, but it didn't include breakfast. If you can't speak Japanese, try to find a Japanese-speaking travel agent and she can probably get you a better deal than anything you'd find on a US website.

I think the food is delicious! The only problem I have with the parks is that there aren't many mid-level options. There are tons of counter service places, a great buffeteria (Queen of Hearts), and then there is a big jump in class/price. Your kids will be able to find pizzas, burger, hot dogs, but keep in mind that they will be at least a little "Japanized." Try the apple tea soda, though - it's delicious! Don't believe me, ask the dishes!

4) We plan to see Tokyo before heading to Disneyland. Any suggestions of hotels in Tokyo that is centrally located ?

If you want the neon lights, flashing screen, lost in a mass of people aspect of Tokyo, stay in Shinjuku or Shibuya. If you're looking for a slightly more relaxed pace with a bit more culture, check out Ueno or Asakusa. Ikebukuro, Shinagawa, and Odaiba are the only areas I wouldn't stay in, but that's more personal preference than anything else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter