Plantar Fasciitis--Could a Chiropractor help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovetoscrap

Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there.
Not sure where to ask this but I will start here. It seems that a lot of DISers have PF. I have it really bad in one foot and slightly bad in the other. It has been going on for almost 6 years and was on and off until about a year ago. Since then it has been on constantly.

I have a great Podiatrist and we have tried all the conservative methods. Stretching, night splint, meds, custom orthotics and cortisone shots. It is looking like Cryo Surgery is the next step. I am really not eager for a surgical procedure, but I can't live my life like this. I am in constant pain and it is really affecting my daily life, and lately I think the pain and inability to do all that I want to (like even grocery shop!), is causing me some depression, which I have never experienced before.

My last ditch thought to avoid surgery is to see if a Chiropractor might be able to help. I never used to believe in Chiropractic Medicine until a bad back problem that the Dr. couldn't help and he insisted I see a Chiro. I went into the office crying and unable to stand up straight from the pain and an hour later walked out at my normal gait with less pain that I had felt in weeks. I continued to see him on and off.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, I moved and no longer have him to call. My insurance doesn't cover this so I would have to pay OOP. I don't really want to waste my time and money if they can't do anything. But if there is something that can be tried, without surgery I am willing to pay whatever I have to-- KWIM?

So, has anyone tried a Chiro for PF? Or is a Chiro and can let me know know if it is worth my time to find someone?

And, if anyone has had Cryo Surgery for PF could you please let me know your experience?

Thanks!

You are not depressed. You are frustrated because you cannot get the pain to stop. My doctor put my foot in one of the old fashioned plaster casts for 3 months. When he took the cast off, I went for 4 or 5 weeks of physical therapy and had another 2 cortisone shots. For some reason - it got better.

Good luck with yours. I hope you find some relief. :thumbsup2

Have you checked out T-tapp? It is an excercise program that has helped a lot of people with plantar fasciitis. www.t-tapp.com I have several friends who have tried it with great sucess, and have been doing it for less than a week, and already feeling better than I was.

A chiro did not help me any with my PF. After about 6 treatments,of not doing anything, I went out and bought a pair of crocs and wore those,that did cure it.

I know the horrible pain your feeling! As soon as my feet would hit the floor in the morning, the pain would start. I want to recommend the Good Feet Store to you. When I saw an infomercial about the Good Feet Store, I thought it was worth looking into. (Although I am normally very skeptical about infomercials, I was desperate!) I didn't want any of those cortisone shots that the dr wanted me to have! I bought some very expensive insoles from them and they have helped so much! I feel like I should be a spokesperson for this store now. I'm a teacher and am on my feet all day. I have worn them for a couple of years now and I'm even to the point that I don't have to wear them every day. Give the store a try! I think their website lists locations for their stores. You may have to google it for web address. Again, I am in no way affiliated with this store! Good luck!

My feet hurt so bad starting about 6 years ago, first thing in the morning was agony! I read in a magazine about plantar fasciitis and realized that my symptoms were the same. I never did go to the doctor for it. This same magazine article recommended Birkenstocks. I had considered them before but they were so expensive. I went out and bought a pair though, for almost $100 and it was the best money I have ever spent.

I have sandals, 3 pairs now, and in winter my feet may start hurting again. When they do, I just wear the Birkis with socks around the house for a while and they stop hurting.

This might be something to try before having surgery.

Good luck.

Here, I will let my DW who just had lithotripsy for her Plantar Fasciitis tell you about her experiences...

I have also had great results from Chiroprators, but for neck issues. I'm not sure if it would help for this problem. Perhaps it would help with the pain associated with "limping" or favoring a foot. Here is what I have done:

I have been suffering from chronic foot pain for at least 3 years. I did my best to deal with the pain for the most part until 6 months ago when I realized just how much Tylenol I was going through. I finally broke down and went to a Podiatrist in my hometown. After 1 visit, 2 Cortizone injections & an MRI, the Podiatrist said I had a "fatty tissue" tumor that was causing all the pain. The only thing I could do is have it removed and spend 6 weeks off my feet. As a mother of 3 children under 9 that was not going to happen. I went for a second opinion and found a foot and ankle center that knew exactly what the problem was. We started the usual treatments of ice, stretching and injections. After much dismay things weren't getting much better. My Doctor recommended a new treatment as an alternative to surgery. It is Electro Shock-Wave Therapy. This therapy is commonly called Lithotripsy and is used to treat kidney stones. The shock waves basically do the same thing that surgery does by breaking down scar tissue to allow healing, but with no down time. I had the treatment the last week in June and was amazed from the very first day. For the next 2 weeks I was pain free! Some of the pain gradually came back, but not as much as before. My Doctor explained that it would take time, but it would get even better with time. I can go shopping now without much discomfort...something I could never do before. I am worried that our WDW vacation coming up will cause things to "flair" but I will be stretching and icing and hopefully I will be able to walk those extra miles! I also just purchased Crocs that are designed for just this problem. I have only worn them for 2 days...so far, so good!

Hope this info. helps!

Have you tried a massage therapy to break up the scar tissue on the
bottom of your foot.

I get flare ups, and my massage therapist helps a lot.
Some of the key is finding someone really great, w/ tons
of experience.

You really have to ask around to people who get massages regularly.
I'm talking about deep tissue, or muscle work to break up any scar tissue you have formed.
Not a fru fru relaxation massage person. Someone who regularly does
deep tissue work, not someone who does a majority of realaxation stuff.

Good Luck,

Connie

I've been in pain for about a year now. I'm a nurse and on my feet for 8++ hours at work;not to mention the time at home...I also don't want the cortisone shots but have been trying the stretching and Medical Crocs, Airwalks etc. The shoes help somewhat but now it's getting to be TOO MUCH!!! The other day, I spoke to the mother of a friend of mine who said she had the problem for years and that our local naturopath was able to help her...I'm thinking about trying him out to see if I can get more relief.

I have had this condition for a few years too.My foot flared up after walking in sand at the beach! I wear my inserts and sneakers 99% of the time. I went back to the doctor and have been icing, wearing night splint, stretching and taking an anti-inflamatory. It is better but we started school on Friday and I could tell my foot didn't like that at all!

Linda

have you done away with salt and caffine in your diets??? That was what FINALLY ended my troubles once and for all!!! I work on my feet all day and since doing this I seldom even get tired feet...YIPPIEEEEEEEEEE :bounce: :dancer:

Pugrpooh said:
My feet hurt so bad starting about 6 years ago, first thing in the morning was agony! I read in a magazine about plantar fasciitis and realized that my symptoms were the same. I never did go to the doctor for it. This same magazine article recommended Birkenstocks. I had considered them before but they were so expensive. I went out and bought a pair though, for almost $100 and it was the best money I have ever spent.

I have sandals, 3 pairs now, and in winter my feet may start hurting again. When they do, I just wear the Birkis with socks around the house for a while and they stop hurting.

This might be something to try before having surgery.

Good luck.
So, are you near to "pain free" ???? How much pain do you have with the Birks in comparison to before???

I just bought my first pair of birks yesterday hoping to relieve the PF I have. I wore them all day and while I still had some pain, it wasn't very bad. Hopefully it will get better as they get more worn in. I LOVE EM!

This evening, I noticed that my nursing supervisor was wearing Birkenstock Professionals. They are great and she said she's been wearing Birks for years at work and at home and they keep her feet comfy since she's standing for hours on end.... I'm going to buy my first pair on Sat. I'm going to get a pair of Professionals for work and get a pair of sandals or clogs for my up and coming trip to WDW at the end of Sept.... If they don't help with the plantars, then at least I'll have a couple of nice pairs of shoes to round out the collection... :goodvibes

I bought my first pair of Birkenstocks!!! They are a pair of clogs. I went into the mall hobbling on my aching feet/heels and after wearing them for a short while, I found enough relief that I wasn't hobbling any longer!!!! Then, I had to go to work and wear my Crocs... By the end of the night, I'm sitting here in agony again.... Tomorrow, it's to the nursing store (who said they stock Birkenstock Professionals) and buy a pair of shoes for nursing. :banana: :banana: :cool1:

Our Chiro works with my son and his PF we have had pretty good success with a combination of insoles, massage, taping, exercises and "adjustments".

A lot of people in the running community have experience with PF. Just about any older serious runner knows several people who have dealt with it. Believe it or not many of them continue running while recovering. See if you can get in touch with such people. One resource is a shoe store that sells athletic/running shoes as their main business.

I guess I was lucky. For me it was largely a matter of buying a couple pairs of New Balance 1152's for everyday use, and lots of time. I don't think anyone recovers quickly from PF.

Thank you for posting this question. One of the posters suggested deep tissue massage.

A lightbulb went off in my head and I grabbed my shiatzu massager (tapper type). I laid it on the floor with the massaging balls up and turned it on. Then I massaged my foot.

Wow, it helped. When I first stood up, I didn't have the typical shooting pain up my achilles tendon. While it wasn't a long term fix, I have a feeling that if I do this a couple of times a day, it'd help.

All from a 30 dollar homedics massager!

So, THANK YOU!!!!!!

Suzanne

I know this is an old thread but I had a thread going on the community board and then I found this one. Has anyone had any long term success for PF? I am in CONSTANT pain. I work on my feet all day and just like you all, when I get up after being asleep or just sittingk the pain is unbearable. ( I had a friend recommend this stuff called DMSO but I have decided against using it due to the health risks.--was not approved for humans)
I am curious about taping, night splints.....anything!! I was hoping to be able to heal this on my own with ice, heat, stretching, wrapping, resting....but it's been going on since last year and not getting better and I feel so frustrated. I welcome any and all advice!!

I have it too and we leave for Disney in a few weeks-yikes!!!! I am currently seeing a chiro. They do muscle therapy (deep tissues massage), stretching and adjustments. I have a pair of custom orthotics that I am currently breaking in from the chiropractor. I had no luck with physical therapy-saw 3 different ones for 2-3months each and saw no difference. I've also seen sports medicine dr and podiatrist. The podiatrist told me to wear the night boot while on the couch with leg stretched out for an hour or so every night while watching tv. I can't tell if it's helping or not but no way could I sleep in that thing. I got it online at a site called Heel that pain -you can return for a full refund within 3 months I think. I returned heel cups to them that did nothing. Wish I had an answer and I will be following this post!!!!! I live in my sneakers….even in the house….and that does help. Also taking a natural anti-inflammatory…want to say it's turmeric
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter