Playground torched in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Pretty sad. Looks like someone poured gasoline on the play structures. It's normally pretty fire resistant, but vandals managed to melt the plastic, including the foam protection on the ground. The metal parts seemed to buckle in the heat.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Park-Damaged-Burned-Vandalism-430717563.html

playground2.jpg

It takes a special kind of jerk to do something like that. That playground in some shape or form has been there since the late 19th century.

It takes a special kind of jerk to do something like that. That playground in some shape or form has been there since the late 19th century.

I've taken my kid there many times. We had a membership at the California Academy of Sciences, and my kid always enjoyed a side trip there and at the merry go round. The current equipment was installed after a major remodel in 2007.

It looks like the damage was isolated to part of the main play structure and the protective padding. I saw photos where there are still kids using the concrete slide next to the structure even with this structure melted. They have separate areas for swings and other various structures. And they didn't do anything to the building with the century old merry go round. That building was locked, but it could have been severely damaged.

I'm not sure if the part with a track line was damaged. That was my kid's favorite part. I remember grabbing it because there's no rope and moving it to the top for each kid. I kind of had to since my kid was waiting and other kids were there first.

Much of it seems to be intact, so I wonder how much of it can remain in place. The million dollar estimate seems a bit high - especially if the damaged section can be replaced. It is ten years old, but I'd be surprised if the parts weren't available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!