Please don't ask me to help...

JFox

DIS Veteran
I've been approached by yet another co-worker to help plan her Disney trip. She will be there for 2.5 days in August, All Star Sports, Deluxe Dining plan. She asked me to attend their planning sessions and help her make ears for all the girls. I make ears for each of my trips. They want to do EVERYTHING in these 2.5 days. Mind you every time I even mention Disney she rolls her eyes and says I'm crazy for planning and going so often.

I've given her a bunch of websites to research and she's ordered the usual books from Amazon. I just can't spend the time explaining the ins and outs to a Disney virgin.

For example, yesterday she asked me if they could take a rolling cooler filled with food into the parks. Uggh. I said, "y'all have the Deluxe dining package and still need to take in food?" Also, she couldn't grasp the concept of the resort drink/snack exchange. I had to draw a picture for understanding.

She is a friend but I don't want to waste my time.

... 25 days maybe ;)

lol.

A deluxe dining plan and she thinks she's gonna need a cooler?! Oh myyyyy....

My thoughts exactly. And my friend is always on one diet or another. She definitely isn't going to get her money's worth eating salads.

...all she'll have time for is eating!

I mentioned this to her but the group consensus is having 100% of meals covered. I said you can still do this with one of the other plans, careful use of credits and thought out TS ADR'S.

I’ve been in your shoes but probably the more frustrating thing I’ve experienced is people asking for advice the day they were going to the park! I gave my best advice and they didn’t even follow it.

Last edited:
I've been there as well. its super frustrating when your advice is asked...but then they do the complete opposite of what you recommended. If i knew you were going to do your own thing...i wouldn't have wasted my time looking at crowd calendars for you and designing a touring plan.
I keep promising myself that from now on, i am just going to email links to the various crowd calendars and the Disney MOMs panel.

Have you helped her in the past or helped others in the past? Sounds like from your OP by saying "yet another co-worker" that you're known to be a go-to person. If that's the case it kinda comes off a sort of way by saying no to this person because you don't like what their trip entails.

Maybe you should stop making yourself known as the go-to person and that would probably ease up on the feeling of wasting your time. Totally still go for making the ears if you'd like to, that seems like a cute way to contribute to your co-workers excitement towards their trips.

Have you helped her in the past or helped others in the past? Sounds like from your OP by saying "yet another co-worker" that you're known to be a go-to person. If that's the case it kinda comes off a sort of way by saying no to this person because you don't like what their trip entails.

Maybe you should stop making yourself known as the go-to person and that would probably ease up on the feeling of wasting your time. Totally still go for making the ears if you'd like to, that seems like a cute way to contribute to your co-workers excitement towards their trips.

They are asking me because me and my husband travel to WDW 3-4 times a year and I know how to plan.

One of my husband's coworkers is a former Disney princess in a Financial/Tech sector. So lots of families take Disney vacations, and she hears from a lot of them asking for advice. She has a an email she sends to everyone. It's the same for everyone. It's full of resources, links, tips and lists. She gives out what she wants and is kind enough to do so, but does not overextend herself.

Personally, I would just give some general advice and leave it at that. She doesn’t seem like she wants to put any actual effort into planning so you shouldn’t have to do that for her. Sounds like she might not follow your plans anyway.

One of my husband's coworkers is a former Disney princess in a Financial/Tech sector. So lots of families take Disney vacations, and she hears from a lot of them asking for advice. She has a an email she sends to everyone. It's the same for everyone. It's full of resources, links, tips and lists. She gives out what she wants and is kind enough to do so, but does not overextend herself.

This is what I do, too, and I’m not even an expert:) I call it my Disney manifesto and send it to anyone who asks me for Disney advice

Great idea!

I'd say everybody needs to go to WDW with a plan that works for their family. Then you're out of the equation. Truly, what works for one family, won't work for another. People LOVE RD, my night owl family would have a coup. So while we've got small kids up at midnight, others are asleep before the fireworks go off. No right or wrong, and you can wash your hands of it.

She will be there for 2.5 days in August, All Star Sports, Deluxe Dining plan. She asked me to attend their planning sessions and help her make ears for all the girls.

Honestly, one planning session done right and they’d get that they can’t do all they want to do.

Have her make you dinner, bring your ear-making supplies, and while doing that start walking her through her days. She should soon notice that getting to restaurants, being seated, orderin, eating, and tipping are going to end up being the bulk of her trip with Deluxe.

And then you’ll have made fun ears, gotten dinner, and helped her see the light.

I mentioned this to her but the group consensus is having 100% of meals covered. I said you can still do this with one of the other plans, careful use of credits and thought out TS ADR'S.

Paying that much just to have meals covered boggles my mind.

She has a an email she sends to everyone. It's the same for everyone. It's full of resources, links, tips and lists. She gives out what she wants and is kind enough to do so, but does not overextend herself.

Such a good idea. I know that some people here have stock answers they just copy and paste. Saves a lot of time and emotional energy.

I've been approached by yet another co-worker to help plan her Disney trip. She will be there for 2.5 days in August, All Star Sports, Deluxe Dining plan. She asked me to attend their planning sessions and help her make ears for all the girls. I make ears for each of my trips. They want to do EVERYTHING in these 2.5 days. Mind you every time I even mention Disney she rolls her eyes and says I'm crazy for planning and going so often.

I've given her a bunch of websites to research and she's ordered the usual books from Amazon. I just can't spend the time explaining the ins and outs to a Disney virgin.

For example, yesterday she asked me if they could take a rolling cooler filled with food into the parks. Uggh. I said, "y'all have the Deluxe dining package and still need to take in food?" Also, she couldn't grasp the concept of the resort drink/snack exchange. I had to draw a picture for understanding.

She is a friend but I don't want to waste my time.

I can guarantee you that they are going to do exactly what they want. Your advice will probably be out the window. 2 1/2 days....with a deluxe dining plan....why? Why not a full 3 days or even 4? Ugh. :sad2: I think the shortest amount of time I've been in Disney is 4 days. 3 in the parks and one in Disney Springs.
I had a friend who told me she wished she would have asked my advice for the short time they were there. They had fun, but some lines were extremely long....well yeah! :crazy: Sometimes people have to learn things the hard way. Sounds like this will be your friends.

I am careful about assisting now. I created a plan for my sister and her DH. In September. It's hot. It's humid. It is Hot and Humid. I gave her index cards with shows and times. I made her ADR's.

They arrived in the parks in the afternoon. Did I mention that September in Fl is HOT AND HUMID????? Got flustered. Never really checked out any of the info I gave them, And were miserable.

So not too long ago we were planning a trip and sis tells me we should all plan a trip together. The whole extended family and stay at her time share. No. Did we not have that conversation about how expensive it was to rent a car and pay parking fees??????? You want to do that times how many?????? I gave up.

Not too long ago a friend told me she booked AofA and was shocked at the cost. I asked her if she used any discounts. No, would I watch for them?. So the discounts got released and I sent them to her. Cannot use any. She already booked. Does nto want to lose her deposit Huh? She is getting tix from a variety of places. Um.....what? a variety of places? Yes. I'm out.

I would politely refer them here to the Disboards. Let them know there is a ton of good information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!