Please explain beer mug and wine package

Mousemommy1

DIS Veteran
DH and I aren't huge drinkers. Neither of us do hard alcohol, so DH was asking about the beer mug thing. What does that entail? You buy the mug and then what? You get beer at a discounted price? Can you keep the mug?

And then I was reading about the wine package? I do love me some wine. What does that entail? Would I be better off bringing my own?

Oh, and if we bring our own, would we be able to do 1 6 pk of beer and 1 bottle of wine (since there are two adults) or is it a per room amount?

Thanks!!! :)

I asked the same questions on this forum many months ago and this is what I found out. (If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.) We leave in 40 days. ;)

You get a 20oz beer for the price of a 16 oz beer if you buy the package. You DO NOT have to carry the mug around your entire cruise. They will give you a token that you can show the bartender and he/she will give you the larger beer. After doing a lot of calculating, if you don't plant to drink more than 1 beer a day, this beer mug package isn't for you (unless you just want the keepsake mug.)

I plan to purchase the wine package. You can see the options here: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/
I like that I will have the wine package so I will have a bottle at dinner that is already paid for. (This is optional BTW -- you can buy the package once you arrive and charge it to your room or you can pay in advance by calling DCL using the link I posted above.)

I also plan to bring on wine/beer. The rules are two bottles of wine or 6 beers PER PERSON, not stateroom. So, you could technically bring 2 bottles of wine and 12 beers. However, you will pay a $20-$25 corkage fee to drink your own wine in the dining areas.

My husband has the beer mug and uses it for every cruise. It is a 22 oz mug and you get a fill for the price of a 16 oz. They give you are token card when you turn the mug in so you don't have to carry the heavy mug around. At the end of the cruise you can take a mug home or he takes his token card home and brings it back for the next cruise.

The mug is not really a package. You purchase the mug and you get to get 20oz refills at the price of 16oz. As SCPixie said, you don't need to carry the mug around. You can trade it for a token instead until your next purchase.

If you bring your own alcohol, you're to drink it in the comfort of your own cabin. You can request from room service wine glasses and even a corkscrew.

I asked the same questions on this forum many months ago and this is what I found out. (If I'm incorrect, I'm sure someone will correct me.) We leave in 40 days. ;)

You get a 20oz beer for the price of a 16 oz beer if you buy the package. You DO NOT have to carry the mug around your entire cruise. They will give you a token that you can show the bartender and he/she will give you the larger beer. After doing a lot of calculating, if you don't plant to drink more than 1 beer a day, this beer mug package isn't for you (unless you just want the keepsake mug.)

I plan to purchase the wine package. You can see the options here: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/gifts-and-amenities/
I like that I will have the wine package so I will have a bottle at dinner that is already paid for. (This is optional BTW -- you can buy the package once you arrive and charge it to your room or you can pay in advance by calling DCL using the link I posted above.)

I also plan to bring on wine/beer. The rules are two bottles of wine or 6 beers PER PERSON, not stateroom. So, you could technically bring 2 bottles of wine and 12 beers. However, you will pay a $20-$25 corkage fee to drink your own wine in the dining areas.
That link is super helpful!! Thanks!

With 2 people in the stateroom according to the OP, that would be 2 bottles of wine and *6* beers.

Another note, even if you don't drink that much beer with your mug on the first cruise, you can bring the mug or token back on later cruises, so ultimately it becomes cost effective if you plan on cruising with Disney more than once. My mugs have paid for themselves several times over. I now just bring the token home instead of a mug, since I've somehow wound up with three mugs.

We did a 3 bottle wine package for an 11-night cruise. This was perfect for the two of us as we did: Palo one night (picked drinks from their menu), had a 12 hour excursion one day, so got back to ship after midnight-no dinner for us on the ship that day, and participated in group happy hours and mixed drink and martini lessons on various days, which added to the alcohol intake for the day which resulted in no wine or 1glass those days.
I liked that they have several x-bottle packages, but also 2 levels (higher end and regular) to choose from so you have 2 price points for the number of bottles. We purchased once onboard.
we only got our wine in the MDR, but I've heard you can request at any bar/restaurant onboard, so if true, you can enjoy a glass later at night after dinner and show.

What is the price difference between the 16 & 20 oz beers? How much do you save per refill?

There is no price difference. They only have one size beer (16oz) but if you purchase the mug (20ish-oz) you get it filled for the same price as the 16oz. So you roughly just get 4oz more of beer each time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter