Please explain dining packages

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
I'm confused about these dining packages work. It seems that there are multiple packages such as 3 night dining packages from $69 or ultimate dining package from $199 or Chops Grill for $42 per adult. So my question is how does this system work? So for example, if I buy the Chops Grill package for $42, is it a fixed menu or do I pick whatever I want to eat and they keep serving me until I'm full. Sorry, but I'm totally confused about how this works.

Same for the 3 night and ultimate dining packages. It seems that the 3 night dining is a good deal if it's $69 because Chops Grill is already $42 and so for another $27, I get to experience 2 more speciality dinners. Can someone clarify how this works?

Also, the pricing seems to only mention adult prices. Are we not allowed to bring children to these dinners? If so, are they the same prices as the adults?

We love the three or four night dining packages. Yes, that is all you pay and you can choose from most of the regular menu. Most limit you to one entree, appetizer and dessert whether using the dining package or paying the regular restaurant cost, but if you don't like something you can always send it back for something else. A few specialty items will be available for an surcharge.

On Oasis last summer we only purchased the dining package for the adults, then paid for the kids when they joined us. A couple times we fed them at the buffet then they went to a movie while we enjoyed a long, peaceful dinner. They claim everyone has to book it then kids will be partially refunded, but we were charged much less this way since our 13 year old was usually charged for a kids meal and our 10 yo hardly eats anything (sometimes the waiter just charged an appetizer or nothing at all for him). When we first boarded, we went to the Matre 'd and made all of our dining reservations for the week. Easy way to take your vacation to the next level. We love the specialty restaurants, and the package makes for a pretty great value!

We love the three or four night dining packages. Yes, that is all you pay and you can choose from most of the regular menu. Most limit you to one entree, appetizer and dessert whether using the dining package or paying the regular restaurant cost, but if you don't like something you can always send it back for something else. A few specialty items will be available for an surcharge.

Oasis lWhen we first boarded, we went to the Matre 'd and made all of our dining reservations for the week. Easy way to take your vacation to the next level. We love the specialty restaurants, and the package makes for a pretty great value!

for the three night and 4 night... you MUST use the package the first two nights? or is that the just the three night and BOGO? its all so confusing lol

They automatically booked one the first night, but we changed it when we set us the other reservations the first day. I think one of the credits is supposed to be used the first or second day. MDR is usually chaotic and slow the first night, so wanted specialty that night anyway.

The only time I saw a specific prix fixe menu was for the Oasis Central Park room package, where there was a specific lunch at Giovanni’s for us. It was still quite good, mind you, but it wasn’t the regular lunch menu.

For kids, you can book them at list price for meals, but generally speaking you book the adults for the specialty dinners then add the kids on when you board.

If you take a package where you’re booked for a dinner on Day 1, they will randomly book you into a restaurant for that night. You can change that restaurant if you want, and you can do that at Guest Services or at any restaurant. If you have concierge, obviously take advantage of your guy/gal to do that for you.

If you book online, everyone is charged the full adult price. You get an adjustment only if the kids eat off the kids menu.

Chops is limited to one entree but as manny apps and desserts as you can handle. Same with Giovanni’s. Izumi will depend on what you do..hibachi or sushi/ hot rock

Some of the venues are not really suited for kids. Giavannis and chops work well..esp Giovanni’s which is served family style

There are reports of the individual ships cracking down on having to use the package on certain nights

The ultimate package also includes lunches in specialty venues when open( typically sea days)

If you book online, everyone is charged the full adult price. You get an adjustment only if the kids eat off the kids menu.

Chops is limited to one entree but as manny apps and desserts as you can handle. Same with Giovanni’s. Izumi will depend on what you do..hibachi or sushi/ hot rock

Some of the venues are not really suited for kids. Giavannis and chops work well..esp Giovanni’s which is served family style

There are reports of the individual ships cracking down on having to use the package on certain nights

The ultimate package also includes lunches in specialty venues when open( typically sea days)

If we do the dining package and eat at for example, Chops are the entrees different than if you were to walk in and pay a la carte? In other words for example, if like a regular rib eye 25 oz and the dining plan rib eye say 18 oz or something like that or is the menu the same whether you do the dining package or pay a la carte?

Are you able to explain a little more the Izumi option as that may be one of options that we'll try. I think we'll try Wonderland and a toss up either between Chops and Izumi unless they're both good and people recommend that we also do both Chops AND Izumi.

Will give you a review of the 3 night package as we just did it this month...and I totally recommend it!!!

We pre-bought, online, the 3 night on a sale that was $60pp. So that's like $20 a meal and was a great deal. It was DH, myself and our 2 girls (age almost 20, twins). We were on a 9 night Grandeur of the Seas cruise earlier this month. When we bought the package it asked us to select night 1 or night 2 and pick a time. We chose night 1 at like 7:30, I think. Then I read on forums that they would assign us a place for the 1st night at the time we picked but we could then see any dining desk on the ship to make the resies for the other 2 nights (or change the first night place if we wanted). We also had the your time dining for MDR and I had made resies online for all but the 3 nights we hoped to do the package. When we got on the ship we stopped at the steakhouse desk to ask where we had been given for the 1st night and see if we could make the other 2 night resies. The desk guy said we hadn't been given any resie and we could pick, so we chose the Italian place for the 1st night and made the other 2. I expected to see a note in our cabin with a resie for that 1st night, that was pre made for us (that's what online forums said but there was no note and we really didn't need to worry as we could go any night to any of the upgrade places pretty much...the steakhouse is the hardest to get).

At the restaurants we got an app, entre and dessert and non-bar drink. They aren't too uptight about that and I think we could get 2 apps and 2 desserts if we wanted. The steakhouse we got more like 4 courses, if I remember. At the sushi place we got $35 worth each as it is an a la carte menu. The 4 of us didn't even go that high ($140...we spent more like $115).

All the food is very very good. In fact, we prefer it to the MDR and only went to the MDR 4/9 nights. And we did the sushi place a 2nd night (DDs and I did a sushi making class where they gave us a 25% off coupon). We also just went to the buffet 1 night. The your time dining was weird for the MDR...we were told to come at set time though we made differeing resies for each night (like different times). Was told to come at 5:15 or 7:00 or something like that. Folks would walk in and go right to table as if assigned time. It was so odd, coming from Carnival where anytime time dining is just that...you walk in anytime and get different tables each night. One night they made us wait for like 30 minutes and we came at 6:45 thinking we'd hit that 7:00 they mentioned. And then we didn't get waited on for like 30 more minutes...was after 8 by the time we got our food. And he food was very similar each night and just meh. But the pay extra venues were very good.

You pay for bar drinks or extras in a bill. And you can tip extra for the meal...we did. I think tips are supposed to be included but we gave $15-20 more at each.

Last edited:
Menus are same whether you do dining plan or not. Same full on menu. Izumi had good apps like dumplings and spring rolls and had lots of sushi and noodle bowls (DDs got 2 different noodle dishes and they were so good). The lobster tempura sushi was sooooooo delish. They also give the table edemame. And then there are hot rocks meals which are meat and veges brought out on super hot rock that cooks on the rock at the table.

We have the 3 night package for our cruise and I was wondering if you can do two nights at the same restaurant or if it has to be three different restaurants. Thanks!!!!

To the op you can have as many apps and sides as you care for. You are limited to one entree for each dinner. You can get a second entree but will be charged for it. As others have mentioned menu for the dining packages are the same as paying onboard, there is no difference.

There was a sale on the cruise planner for the 3 night dining package at $69. Just keep checking your cruise planner every so often and see if there is a sale that brings the price down. If the price of what you buy on the cruise planner comes down, you can cancell and buy the new reduced price package.

For izumi you get $35 credit for each person. You cannot use the package for the teppanyaki dining option.

To the op you can have as many apps and sides as you care for. You are limited to one entree for each dinner. You can get a second entree but will be charged for it. As others have mentioned menu for the dining packages are the same as paying onboard, there is no difference.

There was a sale on the cruise planner for the 3 night dining package at $69. Just keep checking your cruise planner every so often and see if there is a sale that brings the price down. If the price of what you buy on the cruise planner comes down, you can cancell and buy the new reduced price package.

For izumi you get $35 credit for each person. You cannot use the package for the teppanyaki dining option.

What's the teppanyaki dining option?

So it seems like for Izumi they're limiting it to $35 per person. So if each of us orders over $35, I assume they'll just charge us above the $35 that we order?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that they charge the full dining package price for kids but once you get on board and make the remaining reservations, they refund the kid charges and charge $10 each kid. Is this correct? Are the kids limited to ordering off of a kids menu? If they want to order from the adult menu, do they still charge the $10 or do they bump it back up to the adult price?

Teppanyaki is the dinner thing where there’s a flattop grill and the chef cooks the stuff in front of you.

Some places call it a hibachi even though that’s technically an incorrect term. Regardless, think Benihana or Shogun and that’s what you’re getting.

What's the teppanyaki dining option?

So it seems like for Izumi they're limiting it to $35 per person. So if each of us orders over $35, I assume they'll just charge us above the $35 that we order?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that they charge the full dining package price for kids but once you get on board and make the remaining reservations, they refund the kid charges and charge $10 each kid. Is this correct? Are the kids limited to ordering off of a kids menu? If they want to order from the adult menu, do they still charge the $10 or do they bump it back up to the adult price?
Adult price if they eat off adult menu.

I’ve never done the dining package, but you mentioned Wonderland and I wanted to say that we did that a couple years ago on Anthem and really liked it! It was a fun experience, and the food was good. I don’t know if I’d do it again, because I’ve already experienced it, but we enjoyed it! We brought our 6-year old with us, and they brought him whatever he wanted (he said he wanted spaghetti, so they brought him some).

Do you pay for the specialty restaurants when you make the reservation or is it part of your total at the end of the trip? This is our first time on RC, we've always done DCL.

Do you pay for the specialty restaurants when you make the reservation or is it part of your total at the end of the trip? This is our first time on RC, we've always done DCL.
If you're pre-booking you pre-pay for the restaurants. If you book while on board it will be added to your onboard account. I've never done Remy or Palo, but I think there is less competition overall for reservations except for maybe Chef's Table. Example: on Harmony in 2017 we did a "first night done right" promotion and were assigned Jamie's, but once on board we were able to swap to Chops and add the kids with zero issues.

Side note: If you pre-book your kids they will be charged the adult price. But you can add them while on board and the cost is either half-price or $10 (might vary by ship).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter