Please help clear this up: Cinderella Castle and Snow White

Status
Not open for further replies.

agotta

<font color=red>WISH Biggest Loser/Red Team</font>
A friend of mine told me that her husband read in a book that Cinderella Castle is actually modeled after Snow Whites Castle. I am really surprised I don't know the answer to this :) I am 90% sure he is wrong, but I can't back it up. Anyone?

Hello I will try to help and then hopefully someone with more knowledge can REALLY help!!!! From what I have been told, Disneylands castle is Snow Whites and Disney World is Cinderella??? It could be the other way around too, I really am not positive, but I do remember someone saying something like that. Sorry, I know I really didn't help!! I will be interested in seeing what is right too!!

1) Sleeping Beauty castle in Anaheim was actually modeled after several different castles in Europe. It is combination, and not close to any duplicate.

2) Cinderella Castle in Walt Disney World is fashioned after Neuschwanstein in southern Germany. Altrhough not a duplicate, it is pretty close.

FYI: No Disney castle is possessive - Cinderella Castle, not Cinderella's Castle.

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Sleeping Beauty castle in Anaheim was actually modeled after several different castles in Europe. It is combination, and close to a duplicate.
2) Cinderella Castle in Walt Disney World is fashioned after Neuschwanstein in southern Germany. Altrhough not a duplicate, it is pretty close.

That is what I thought, but no relation to Snow White right?

agotta said:
That is what I thought, but no relation to Snow White right?

1) Right.
2) No Connection.

3) I can see the confusion.
4) At one time, the restaurant was King Stefan's Banquet Hall.
5) Of course, King Stefan was Snow's father.
6) It was renamed Cinderella's Royal Table (4/28/97).

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Right.
2) No Connection.

3) I can see the confusion.
4) At one time, the restaurant was King Stefan's Banquet Hall.
5) Of course, King Stefan was Snow's father.
6) It was renamed Cinderella's Royal Table (4/28/97).

King Stefan was actually Aurora's father.

The source of the confusion over the castles might stem from the fact that the Disneyland castle was originally going to be named after Snow White, not Sleeping Beauty. However, since the movie they were working on at the time was Sleeping Beauty, they decided to change the name to Sleeping Beauty Castle.

I found out that my friend claims she read it in the latest DVC newsletter. Mine is at home, but if anyone has one handy, did you read this article? I just called and told her she was wrong, that I can't find anything anywhere close to what she is saying, except maybe:

The source of the confusion over the castles might stem from the fact that the Disneyland castle was originally going to be named after Snow White, not Sleeping Beauty. However, since the movie they were working on at the time was Sleeping Beauty, they decided to change the name to Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Thanks everyone!

TheRustyScupper said:
1) Sleeping Beauty castle in Anaheim was actually modeled after several different castles in Europe. It is combination, and not close to any duplicate.

FYI: No Disney castle is possessive - Cinderella Castle, not Cinderella's Castle.

It's a common misconception that Cinderella Castle was based on Neuschwanstein in Germany. In fact, it was Sleeping Beauty Castle that took many elements of Neuschwanstein, among other castles. If you do a Google Image search on Neuschwanstein and compare those photos to Sleeping Beauty Castle (especially pics of the back of SB Castle), you'll notice several architectural details taken directly from Neuschwanstein. Cinderella Castle doesn't really resemble Neuschwanstein at all. From the disney.com's Guest Services FAQ on Disney History(trivia):

"Q: What castles were used as the inspiration for the ones in your theme parks?

A: Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland looks similar in many ways to Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, but actually a number of medieval European castles were used as the model.

Cinderella Castle in Walt Disney World was based on the French castles and chateaux of Fontainebleu, Versailles, Chenonceau, Chambord, and Chaumont."

Also, supposedly, Walt Disney once mistakenly referred to Sleeping Beauty Castle as Snow White Castle on TV prior to the opening of Disneyland. This could have led to the confusion.

FYI: No Disney castle is possessive
Not exactly true. The French name "Le Château de la Belle au Bois Dormant" makes use of "de", the French form of the possessive.

Amphigorey said:

Yes because if you have been there there is the wishing well with Snow whites voice in it.

:disrocks:

Neuschwanstein Castle-
375r.jpg

The back of Sleeping Beauty Castle-
10_50thCastleRear_640x480_wm.jpg

See the similarities?

It was originally supposed to be the "Snow White" Castle because she was the first but was changed because"Sleeping Beauty" was getting ready to be released. It is Snow White and the Dwarfs and Snow White's wishing well next to the castle for this reason.

Way old thread :)

But anyway; the bus tour in New Orleans, they say St Louis Cathedral is the inspiration for Cinderella Castle...I guess that is incorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter