Please help! DD with problem..

traceycc

Earning My Ears
Oh I need some fast advice here..We are leaving for Disneyworld in 7 more days. MY dd (7) has bone problems in her legs. She has had a few surgeries and casts etc..Her next surgery is schedule for Dec 1st, but her leg is in pain now and she has a rod that has bent the bone in her thigh which is why she need another surgery. Anyhow, I am going to rent a wheelchair for the trip, but now I have a call in to her ortho dr because we are so afraid her leg won't make it thru the trip! He can't see her until dec 1st, unless we want to cancel then he can schedule her for next week when we are supposed to be away! We don't want to cancel our trip, my ds (10) is very upset as is the rest of us, but her condition is more important. Last week at her visit the dr said to go ahead and go on the trip, but since then the leg looks worse..Has anyone had any serious issue come up where they either had to cancel their trip so close before or the like?? Please help we are so confused and distraught right now.. :worried: :worried: :worried:

Can you get the Dr. to have a cast put on it or an air cast or even an immobilizer that will stop the movement of the leg and get you through your vacation?

I agree with Michigan that it might be good to check with the doctor to see what other options you have besides changing the surgery to when you will be gone. If you do go, try to get a referral of where to go in case of more trouble and take along a recent summary of her care.
In case the only option is surgery, then you need to find out what your options are for postponing your trip. From the doctor, you would need an idea of when your DD is likely to be able to travel (so you know for rescheduling) and a letter that says your DD had a medical emergency and needed surgery, which led to the postponement of your trip. I don't know what the policies are for airline tickets, hotel, etc. But a letter from the doctor certainly can't hurt.
Good luck and here's some pixie dust for your DD and disappointed son.

You say your DD's leg is in pain now. Is it severe or just uncomfortable. To be in major pain is not a good way to enjoy a vacation. Ask your daughter how she feels about postponing her trip. If you need to cancel, please don't let her feel that she is responsible for inconveniencing everyone else. Her health and comfort is of prime importance right now. If you do decide to carry on with your travel plans, I can't think of a more magical place than Disney, to bring joy to a little girls heart.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I have arranged to have her surgery when we get back from the trip. That is closer than waiting until Dec.1...We are renting a wheelchair to get her around so as to not put any more pressure on her leg! She can walk but it just hurts her and the position her leg is in now we have to be so careful! We did not want to cancel unless it was an absolute emergency. She will enjoy her trip even if it is being wheeled around all over! So many people convinced her if she goes in the wheelchair she will have more preferences than in a stoller! Also, heaven forbid there is a division of her hospital in Orlando if need be..We won't let that happen! :earsgirl:

Tracey::MinnieMo

If you go to the disABILTITIES FAQs thread at the top of this board, there is a link to the official WDW pages about touring with disabilities. One of the things listed there is the rides where someone in a wheelchair can stay in the wheelchair for the whole wait in line and for the attraction. Staying in the wheelchair means a lot less moving around and transferring.
Hopefully, you will have a child (or at least smaller adult size) wheelchair so there is more support for your DD's leg and her feet are at least close to the footrests. Many of the rental chairs have sling seats (like a director's chair). That gets uncomfortable by the end of the day. Some people have suggested in the past bringing a pillow or chair cushion for the seat.
Also, if her feet don't reach the footrests and they can't be adjusted up, if you go to Target, in the sporting goods/exercise area, they have pairs of small, firm "bricks" meant for doing yoga and other exercise. They are fairly inexpensive and might be just the right size to cobble up something to make her more comfortable.

Thank you Sue M for your suggestions. Yes I rented a chair from Care Medical and they do not have child size but I got the smallest one they have. I will go to Target and get those foam bricks and bring a pillow with us. I can at least use the bricks somehow later on for me and exercising (?)..lol...I appreciate all the suggestions here and like I said we are trying to keep her leg as immobile as possible until the surgery date. She has had casts for the past three Halloweens and been either pulled in a wagon or stoller and still hasnt been able to walk in the school parade yet! I told her by next year hopefully no more casts, but who knows..They are very excited about DW and this is certainly not dampering her spirits..

: princess:

Another thing I forgot is a pillow for behind her - you know how when you sit on a couch that's too deep, a pillow behind your back helps the bend in your legs hit at the edge of the couch instead of about mid-calf. Depending on how tall she is, she might not need that, but it's better to be prepared.
Also, some duct tape or something like an ace bandage or gauze roll could be used to attach the "bricks" to the footrests.
I'd normally not suggest going to such lengths to make a whelchair "fit", but it sounds like your DD might need more support of that leg.

I'm not sure if your daughter is more comfortable with her leg out straight, or bent down. At walker you can for an additional $10 ( length of the rental, not per day). YOu can get a foot rest that is in the down position, or can be raised up, so the leg is straight. You might want to call your current wheel chair place to see if that is an option you need.

You may want to call and check the other places to see if they have an actual childs chair for rent. She will be more comfortable in a chair made for her. One thing about an adult chair is that gap in the back, between the chair bottom, and back. Depending on how small she is, that gap could be quict uncomfortable.

An air cast might be good because that way if she would happen to bump her leg, getting in or out of the chair, onto a ride, it would be more forgiving, than nothing at all.

Connie

Hello all again, well I rented the wheelchair from Care, but they only had an adult size that I mentioned on here. Does anyone know of any other places down there that might rent a child size wheelchair? I am going to look on the internet, but I thought if anyone knew of a place it would help. Thanks again for all the great suggestions.. :earsboy:

AKL 11-2--4 thru 11-9-04

Here's the 3 places that DIS posters report renting wheelchairs from. You can see if one of the others rents children's wheelchairs. I've also been told that A Baby's Best Friend rented special needs strollers (sort of like giant size jogging or umbrella strollers for people up to 100 pounds).

* Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273 • Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282
* Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com
(800)747-0246
* Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter