Please help me choose DCL vacation!

A reputable website says yes, if you decide to not book a room with you onboard booking deposit, you can get your deposit back before the 24 month window ends. If you haven’t sailed before the 24 months, your money will be refunded.
Yes, this is true. If you book a placeholder (that is, you put down a $250 deposit to be applied to a specific cruise later) you can get a refund at any time, and if you don't either book a cruise or request a refund after 24 months, you will receive a refund to your original form of payment.

If you book a specific cruise, you can also cancel and get a full refund up until a few months before the cruise (currently 90 days for cruises of 5 nights or fewer, 120 days for cruises of 6 days or more). An exception is concierge booking, for which the deposit is non-refundable. The exact details for cancellation fees will be provided when you book.

You can also move a cruise without penalty. You will, however, lose the 10% onboard booking discount if the new cruise sets sail more than 24 months after your onboard booking. If you do move a cruise booked onboard, make sure to say you are "moving a reservation" and not "cancelling and rebooking" -- you will lose the onboard discount if you cancel the original cruise.

Yes, this is true. If you book a placeholder (that is, you put down a $250 deposit to be applied to a specific cruise later) you can get a refund at any time, and if you don't either book a cruise or request a refund after 24 months, you will receive a refund to your original form of payment.

If you book a specific cruise, you can also cancel and get a full refund up until a few months before the cruise (currently 90 days for cruises of 5 nights or fewer, 120 days for cruises of 6 days or more). An exception is concierge booking, for which the deposit is non-refundable. The exact details for cancellation fees will be provided when you book.

You can also move a cruise without penalty. You will, however, lose the 10% onboard booking discount if the new cruise sets sail more than 24 months after your onboard booking. If you do move a cruise booked onboard, make sure to say you are "moving a reservation" and not "cancelling and rebooking" -- you will lose the onboard discount if you cancel the original cruise.

Hi Mommb,

So do you have to pick the specific cruise to get 10% onboard booking discount and this cruise will have to be within 24 months?

And if I move to another cruise, then 10% onboard booking discount still applies if it is within 24 months?

Thank you!

So do you have to pick the specific cruise to get 10% onboard booking discount and this cruise will have to be within 24 months?
While you are onboard, you can book a specific cruise and pay the deposit for that cruise. If the cruise is within 24 months, you will get 10% off the current fare.

Or, while you are onboard, you can pay $250 for a placeholder reservation. Then, when you decide which cruise to take, you can call DCL (or your travel agent, if you used one) to move the placeholder to a specific cruise. As long as the cruise is within 24 months of when you bought the placeholder, you will get 10% off the current fare. This is the current fare when you convert the placeholder — if that is higher than the fare when you bought the placeholder, you will get 10% off the higher fare.

Placeholders are useful if you want a cruise date that hasn’t been announced yet — for example, if you were on a cruise today and wanted to cruise again in October 2021, you would buy a placeholder because DCL hasn’t announced cruises for October 2021 yet. Then, when Fall 2021 cruises are announced, you could call to book using your placeholder.

You can move a cruise and get 10% off the current fare for the new date, whether you initially booked a specific cruise or a placeholder, as long as the new cruise begins no more than 24 months from the initial booking. You can move a cruise more than once and keep the discount.

Last edited:

While you are onboard, you can book a specific cruise and pay the deposit for that cruise. If the cruise is within 24 months, you will get 10% off the current fare.

Or, while you are onboard, you can pay $250 for a placeholder reservation. Then, when you decide which cruise to take, you can call DCL (or your travel agent, if you used one) to move the placeholder to a specific cruise. As long as the cruise is within 24 months of when you bought the placeholder, you will get 10% off the current fare. This is the current fare when you convert the placeholder — if that is higher than the fare when you bought the placeholder, you will get 10% off the higher fare.

Placeholders are useful if you want a cruise date that hasn’t been announced yet — for example, if you were on a cruise today and wanted to cruise again in October 2021, you would buy a placeholder because DCL hasn’t announced cruises for October 2021 yet. Then, when Fall 2021 cruises are announced, you could call to book using your placeholder?

You can move a cruise and get 10% off the current fare for the new date, whether you initially booked a specific cruise or a placeholder, as long as the new cruise begins no more than 24 months from the initial booking. You can move a cruise more than once and keep the discount.

I think I get it. I will bring my credit card (travel & USD) for sure! :)

Is there a posting where I can get some idea of "Must bring's"? I only have like 3 weeks left now!
I am looking at Stateroom door decorations and... lanyard.
Any Disney Cruise Line merchandise I can get prior to? I am in Canada, so ShopDisney doesn't come handy.. :(

#1 would be my last choice, just because it's the shortest cruise and for us, the longer the better. I would take bonine or the patch for the first couple of days, then you will still be able to enjoy 5 days of cruise. If you only do a 4 day cruise and you are sick the first 2 days, that's only 2 days of enjoyment. Also get a midship room because that will be less movement.

#1 would be my last choice, just because it's the shortest cruise and for us, the longer the better. I would take bonine or the patch for the first couple of days, then you will still be able to enjoy 5 days of cruise. If you only do a 4 day cruise and you are sick the first 2 days, that's only 2 days of enjoyment. Also get a midship room because that will be less movement.

uhoh. I already booked #1. :(
Next time, I believe we want to try longer cruises. Let see how this one goes. My DD didn't like kid's club before, so we also want to see how she likes it this time now that she's bit older. :)

I can suffer from Sea Sickness also.

A 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy cruise had my Mom and I bed bound!

Some cruises on Disney we have had to cancel Specialty dining because we were too queasy to enjoy eating.

Dramamine puts me to sleep immediately.

Bonine= Meclizine works best for me. I carry it in a range of dosages.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/

Think you made a great choice.

Bon Voyage!

I can suffer from Sea Sickness also.

A 7 day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy cruise had my Mom and I bed bound!

Some cruises on Disney we have had to cancel Specialty dining because we were too queasy to enjoy eating.

Dramamine puts me to sleep immediately.

Bonine= Meclizine works best for me. I carry it in a range of dosages.

https://www.amazon.com/Rugby-Travel-Sickness-Tablets-100/

Think you made a great choice.

Bon Voyage!

Hi!

I hear people LOVE Bonine but Bonine is not available in Canada and I also tried Meclizine that was giving by Royal Caribbean Cruise and last time it did not work very well unfortunately.

So this time, I got prescribed zofran and it worked very well!!! There were some spots where I had got bit queasy, but overall it worked very well. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!