Please Help Me! To date, we are the anti-Harry Potter family!

My kids and I spend a lot of time in the car unfortunately and we’ve become big audiobook fans. You should be able to get the audiobooks from your local library. If not, you can download them from audible.com.

We’re trying to get our 7 year old interested because we’re going to England this summer and my dh, DS10 and I want to go on the backstage tour in London.

My kids and I spend a lot of time in the car unfortunately and we’ve become big audiobook fans. You should be able to get the audiobooks from your local library. If not, you can download them from audible.com.

We’re trying to get our 7 year old interested because we’re going to England this summer and my dh, DS10 and I want to go on the backstage tour in London.

The audiobooks are fabulous. I highly recommend them as well.

You don't have to read the books at all. I think they are great and enjoyed them but not necessary.

I’ve fainted.

If it were me, with 6 months to go, I’d read the first book as a family.

Yes. Pick the best out loud reader and go for it.

And with that long you can read more than just one. But maybe be cautious with the youngers or more sensitive kids.

Hi sorry about making you faint!:goodvibes I should have clarified myself. I have read the books twice and love them and highly recommend them to interested people. When they have time if they are interested should certainly read the books. However, in this case it seemed like a lot for OP to tackle the books and the movies before their visit. My DD's BF read 4 books but saw all the movies before we left. He said he was glad he saw the movies for the trip. I went by his opinion because there was not much time before our trip to do everything. I wanted to give them the quickest way to get up to speed and maybe interested for the kids.[/QUOTE]

I’m a HP fan, while my DH isn’t. I felt a bit cheated during our last visit as DH and DS didn’t want to spend even half the amount of time in Hogsmeade as I did.

I won’t be cheated during our next visit (especially now that Diagon Alley has been built), so I am doing what I can to turn DS into a HP fan. The offer to buy an interactive wand is helping build the excitement, although what DS doesn’t yet know is that he might find himself fighting me for it. :laughing:
DH will be more difficult to convert, but as long as he’s the minority... :rolleyes1

Anyway, DS and I started by reading book 1 together and have since watched all the movies together as well. We plan on going back and reading all the books as I think they are better for familiarising yourself with the small details.

In an ideal world, I would say read the books first. However, as mentioned by others, anything is better than nothing.

Is the interactive wand similar to what you might see at a place like Great Wolf Lodge, for those who have been?

Yes, similar, but the wands at HP are a bit more sophisticated...in the sense that you have to move them in a certain "spellbinding" way to make anything happen. There are little plates in the ground at HP that show you how to cast the spell, and some are easier than others to activate. At Great Wolf, you can just sort of point at the appropriate item in the hallway and they activate, until of course, you get to the dragon battles.

Yes, similar, but the wands at HP are a bit more sophisticated...in the sense that you have to move them in a certain "spellbinding" way to make anything happen. There are little plates in the ground at HP that show you how to cast the spell, and some are easier than others to activate. At Great Wolf, you can just sort of point at the appropriate item in the hallway and they activate, until of course, you get to the dragon battles.

My kids are going to enjoy this part of the trip I'm sure. Sounds great, thanks.

The Harry Potter stories are so great. They deal with good vs evil, friendship, loyalty, personal development and the great power of love. And, they speak so much to creativity and imagination. Definitely watch the first movie....and hopefully the 2nd and 3rd as well. These are some of the most well read books in the world for a reason...give it a try. :)

had I not the books first, I would not have been able to follow the movies. There's just too much left out. However, the audio readings by Jim Dale, are fantastic! I did not think I would love the books. But I really do. Overdrive from your library should have them available, and they are well worth the time in the car, or while playing Legos, or while cooking dinner, or well painting the bathroom, well I think you get the point.

The Harry Potter sections are by far the best thing in Universal. It's not to be missed. The first 3 films are the most important to understand the lands. Diagon Alley is introduced in 1, fleshed out in 2, and Hogsmeade is introduced in 3. They also have a few references to the third film in other places.

The third film is also the best in the series (tell me I'm wrong!).

The Harry Potter stories are so great. They deal with good vs evil, friendship, loyalty, personal development and the great power of love. And, they speak so much to creativity and imagination. Definitely watch the first movie....and hopefully the 2nd and 3rd as well. These are some of the most well read books in the world for a reason...give it a try. :)

Totally agree.

When they first came out they really didn’t appeal to me, bought them for our son......but I read the first one and got hooked.....loved the books.

So much better than the films which are excellent..........but so much more detailed. There was just too much detail and could no way be incorporated into the films........still magical though.

The Harry Potter sections are by far the best thing in Universal. It's not to be missed. The first 3 films are the most important to understand the lands. Diagon Alley is introduced in 1, fleshed out in 2, and Hogsmeade is introduced in 3. They also have a few references to the third film in other places.

The third film is also the best in the series (tell me I'm wrong!).

I definitely agree that these are the best sections of Universal! People are coming from all over the world to see it! :)

Totally agree.

When they first came out they really didn’t appeal to me, bought them for our son......but I read the first one and got hooked.....loved the books.

So much better than the films which are excellent..........but so much more detailed. There was just too much detail and could no way be incorporated into the films........still magical though.
I'm also a "books are way better but love the movies" person. The only movie I dislike is Half Blood Prince. They kinda missed the tone of the book.

If you can get your family to read at least the first 3-4 books do so. I always encourage reading, as it seems people don't read as much as they should. Reading expands a child's vocabulary and forces them to use their "mind's eye". I would then watch the first few films, they are wonderful. It will make the trip much more personal and enjoyable. My wife and I are older and absolutely adore the HP sections of Universal.

If possible, read at least the first book. It isn’t ridiculously long like some of the later books, so it should be manageable to read together as a family or to listen to as an audio book. I suggest reading it over watching the movies as the books are very well written and contain so much detail. However, if you guys just aren’t readers, at least watch the first movie. This will be enough to introduce you to the HP universe. If you enjoy it, read / watch the rest.

Here’s some general background info that may help you decide what to do. The main HP storyline is made up of 7 books. Each book has a coresponding movie, except for the last book which they split into 2 movies. The movies do a decent job of following the storylines of the books, but due to time constraints cut a lot of material from the longer books. The first, second, and third movies are the most true to their books and cut out the least amount of material. The 4th and 5th books cut out quite a bit of material, especially the 5th which is the longest book. Also, it is worth noting that there was a change made between the final battle that occurs in the books verses the one shown in the movie at the end of the series. The overall outcome is the same in both; however, there is a very important climatic point the author is making in the books, and it is lost in the movie. This is part of the reason I suggest reading the books first.

Each book / movie covers 1 year in the life of the characters, Harry and his friends, starting at summer break through the end of the school year. So, book 1 essentially covers the summer after Harry’s 5th grade year (US grades) and his first year of middle school or 6th grade. In the books, this is referred to as year 1. Each successive book covers the next summer and the next school year, through all 7 years of junior high and high school. This makes Harry 11 in the first book and just short of turning 18 at the end of the last book as his birthday is during summer break.

Each book reads like a mystery novel with the characters going on adventures and looking for clues to solve the mystery or mysteries presented in that book. Each book ends with the mystery revealed at the end. Sometimes clues from previous books are needed to solve the mystery of the current book. There is also an overarching storyline which starts in the first book and isn’t resolved until the end of the last book. New information and clues are revealed throughout all of the books in regards to the overall greater plot. This makes reading the books out of order or skipping books impractical. You need the knowledge from the previous books for the current book to make sense.

Basically, without giving anything away. Harry is an orphan wizard who attends a magical boarding school (Hogwarts) located in a castle in Scotland. He lives with his aunt and uncle during the summer and takes a train from London to Hogsmeade (the town the school is near) to get to school each year. He lives and attends classes at the school where he learns how to perform magic using a wand and learns in general about the greater secret hidden magical world. As the books go on, Harry comes to realize not everything is magical in the magical world. There are bad guys and dangers. The books explore all of this in detail, and you learn about this new magical world as Harry does through his eyes, the good and the bad.

The books get progressively darker as the series goes on and Harry grows up. Books 1-3 while they have their moments are overall not too dark. The end of book 4 starts the introduction into the darker side of magic and each book after that gets a little more serious and the subject matter gets a little more heavy. You might not find all 7 books appropriate for all your kids. It really depends on the family and the individual child. I suggest reading them first ahead of your kids after book 3.

This brings us to HP at Universal. HP is broken into two sections 1) Hogsmeade / Hogwarts and 2) Diagon Alley / London.

Hogsmeade
Hogsmeade is the town where Hogwarts, Harry’s boarding school, is located. This land is located at the back of IOA at Universal. This area is themed as if you were visiting it during winter of Harry’s 4th year, but the nods to his fourth year are actually very few. You really do not need any advance knowledge to enjoy this area beyond the first book. The 4th year aspects are only noticeable in the ages of the characters seen in the FJ ride (14 instead of 11) and the subject matter of one of the stage shows.

For the stage show, all you really need to know is that during Harry’s fourth year two foreign schools participate in a sort of foreign exchange program. These two schools come to compete in a competition (the TriWizard Cup) against each other and against the Hogwarts students. The stage show showcases the two schools performing dances seen in the movies.

There is also a kiddy coaster in this part of the park where you get to ride one of Hagrid’s magical pets and see his house. Hagrid is an adult friend of Harry’s. The magical animal you get to ride isn’t introduced until the third book, but it is not necessary to have any great knowledge of this book to enjoy this ride.

The only other thing worth noting is that Harry first visits the town in the 3rd book when he is 13, so the restaurant, pub, shops, and famous foods like butterbeer aren’t introduced until then in the books. But, again you can still easily enjoy this area without reading those books yet. The main draw here is visiting Hogwarts, the magical boarding school / castle at the edge of town.

If you have the time to read books 1 - 3, you can see how the details will be much more magical. However, if you don’t have time, then when you get to those books later on, you’ll already have a great frame of reference for what you are reading about. Book 4 really isn’t as necessary as it doesn’t take place in Hogsmeade very much at all. With the exception of the stage show, the whole area feels like it is set in book 3 more than anything.

Diagon Alley
Diagon Alley is a magical shopping district hidden in London for witches and wizards. It has all the normal things you’d expect to find in an urban area: stores, restaurants, lodging, and service oriented businesses like banks, apothecaries, and even a newspaper. This land is located at the back of US at Universal. It is hidden from view by the streets of London in the park, the same way it is hidden from the world in the books. You won’t see it until you enter it which is a pretty awe inspiring effect.

This area is supposed to be themed as if you were visiting it during book 7. However, while the ride is definitely themed to book 7, the town feels more like you are visiting it during book 6. Without giving too much away there is pretty much a magical civil war / coup whatever you want to call it taking place during book 7, and you do not get that vibe from the area. It definitely feels pre-war.

As far as the ride goes, unless you have read all 7 books, you won’t get what’s really going on, and there’s no good way to explain without major spoilers. The cliff notes version is basically that Harry and friends are fighting the bad guys in the bank, and you are caught in the middle. Just go with it for now, and don’t worry about the rest. It will all make sense when you finally get to that book.

Like with Hogsmeade, no real advance knowledge is required to enjoy the rest of DA past the first book. Although, Harry comes here throughout many of the books, and there are certain aspects and details that aren’t introduced until later books, the main point of DA is to get your magical shopping done to prepare to go to magic school. This can easily be achieved with only knowledge of book 1.

Most people want to follow in Harry’s footsteps. Visit the bank to get wizards money, then get a wizards robe (school uniform), a wand, a magical pet, and other school supplies. No advance knowledge is needed to enjoy any of that. Then they want to take the train over to Hogsmeade and attend school. These are all things Harry does in the first book and are each very magical in their own right. Knowledge of all the small details is great but not necessary. You’re a wizard entering an exciting magical world where you get to perform magic. The awe you’re worrying about will be there even if you only get through the first book.

A few things to note,

1. Knockturn Alley, a side street off DA, is an area Harry visits briefly in books 2 and 6. There are a few interesting nods to book six in the dark arts shop Borgin and Borks. However, there isn’t enough subject material in the books to warrant reading book 6 just for this one shop. Other than that, all you really need to know is that this is a seedy part of town where less reputable businesses operate.

2. Weasley Wizard Weases. This is a joke novelty shop that the brothers of Harry’s friend Ron own. Most of the things for sale in the shop are referenced in the books. The brothers open the shop in book 6 which is part of what makes the area feel like it takes place more during that time. Again, the items for sale are interesting and self explanatory and do not require any extra background to enjoy.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that HP is a very magical world to begin with. Most of the things found in the two lands are interesting and awe inspiring in their own right and are easily enjoyed with only a basic knowledge of the subject matter. Knowing the background behind many of the details adds a second layer to the experience, but is not necessary for having a magical time.

Magical extras you can enjoy with only a knowledge of the first book:
  • Order your kids magic school acceptance letters off Etsy or make your own.
  • Have your kids get sorted into their house on Pottermore ahead of time.
  • Pretend you are first year students going to Hogwarts for the first time, follow in HP’s footsteps
  • Order or make Hogwarts robes for kids to wear while there
  • Eat in one of the restaurants.
  • Send mail home by owl post like a wizard. Remember to bring a stamp or risk paying “magical” prices for a special addition set in the park.
  • Try magical candy, ice cream, and butterbeer.
  • Take magical pictures at Shutterbutton
  • Try on robes in front of the talking mirror at Madam Malkins
  • Explore all the shops in DA
  • Perform spells with a magic wand
  • Visit Ollivanders for the wand show
  • Watch the different stage shows in both parks
  • Take time to explore the windows and shop fronts and the merchandise for sale in the shops
  • Exchange your money for wizard money
  • Make a bank ID card
  • Tour the castle
  • Walk through platform 9 3/4
  • Ride the train to school
  • Talk to the conductor and take pics with him in front of the train
  • Experience the dragon in DA
  • Take pictures in front of the castle
  • Take time to talk to the employees, ask questions, have fun, they will be in character and happy to explain things to you in books you might not have got to yet.
You’ll find more than 15 minutes worth of stuff to do.

As a side note, the Dr. Seuss area is very awe inspiring as well, so make sure you’re prepared for that area aslso. It is one of the most detailed best themed areas I’ve ever seen done at a park. You really feel as if you are inside the pages of a Dr. Seuss book.

Books referenced are:
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (ride)
  • Cat in the Hat (ride)
  • The Sneetches and Other Stories (ride)
  • If I Ran the Zoo (play area)
  • Green Eggs and Ham (restaurant)
  • If I Ran the Circus (restaurant)
  • Hop on Pop (snacks)
  • Dr. Seuess’s Sleep Book (snacks)
  • Happy Birthday to You (snacks)
  • The Lorax (walkthrough exhibit)
  • And to Think that We Saw It on Mulberry St (ride ref and store)
  • Horton Hatches the Egg (Easter egg)
  • Mc Elliot’s Pool (Easter egg)
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (character meet / holiday entertainment)

Thanks to everyone, especially Nightowl, for your well-thought out responses! Much appreciated!

If possible, read at least the first book. It isn’t ridiculously long like some of the later books, so it should be manageable to read together as a family or to listen to as an audio book. I suggest reading it over watching the movies as the books are very well written and contain so much detail. However, if you guys just aren’t readers, at least watch the first movie. This will be enough to introduce you to the HP universe. If you enjoy it, read / watch the rest.

Here’s some general background info that may help you decide what to do. The main HP storyline is made up of 7 books. Each book has a coresponding movie, except for the last book which they split into 2 movies. The movies do a decent job of following the storylines of the books, but due to time constraints cut a lot of material from the longer books. The first, second, and third movies are the most true to their books and cut out the least amount of material. The 4th and 5th books cut out quite a bit of material, especially the 5th which is the longest book. Also, it is worth noting that there was a change made between the final battle that occurs in the books verses the one shown in the movie at the end of the series. The overall outcome is the same in both; however, there is a very important climatic point the author is making in the books, and it is lost in the movie. This is part of the reason I suggest reading the books first.

Each book / movie covers 1 year in the life of the characters, Harry and his friends, starting at summer break through the end of the school year. So, book 1 essentially covers the summer after Harry’s 5th grade year (US grades) and his first year of middle school or 6th grade. In the books, this is referred to as year 1. Each successive book covers the next summer and the next school year, through all 7 years of junior high and high school. This makes Harry 11 in the first book and just short of turning 18 at the end of the last book as his birthday is during summer break.

Each book reads like a mystery novel with the characters going on adventures and looking for clues to solve the mystery or mysteries presented in that book. Each book ends with the mystery revealed at the end. Sometimes clues from previous books are needed to solve the mystery of the current book. There is also an overarching storyline which starts in the first book and isn’t resolved until the end of the last book. New information and clues are revealed throughout all of the books in regards to the overall greater plot. This makes reading the books out of order or skipping books impractical. You need the knowledge from the previous books for the current book to make sense.

Basically, without giving anything away. Harry is an orphan wizard who attends a magical boarding school (Hogwarts) located in a castle in Scotland. He lives with his aunt and uncle during the summer and takes a train from London to Hogsmeade (the town the school is near) to get to school each year. He lives and attends classes at the school where he learns how to perform magic using a wand and learns in general about the greater secret hidden magical world. As the books go on, Harry comes to realize not everything is magical in the magical world. There are bad guys and dangers. The books explore all of this in detail, and you learn about this new magical world as Harry does through his eyes, the good and the bad.

The books get progressively darker as the series goes on and Harry grows up. Books 1-3 while they have their moments are overall not too dark. The end of book 4 starts the introduction into the darker side of magic and each book after that gets a little more serious and the subject matter gets a little more heavy. You might not find all 7 books appropriate for all your kids. It really depends on the family and the individual child. I suggest reading them first ahead of your kids after book 3.

This brings us to HP at Universal. HP is broken into two sections 1) Hogsmeade / Hogwarts and 2) Diagon Alley / London.

Hogsmeade
Hogsmeade is the town where Hogwarts, Harry’s boarding school, is located. This land is located at the back of IOA at Universal. This area is themed as if you were visiting it during winter of Harry’s 4th year, but the nods to his fourth year are actually very few. You really do not need any advance knowledge to enjoy this area beyond the first book. The 4th year aspects are only noticeable in the ages of the characters seen in the FJ ride (14 instead of 11) and the subject matter of one of the stage shows.

For the stage show, all you really need to know is that during Harry’s fourth year two foreign schools participate in a sort of foreign exchange program. These two schools come to compete in a competition (the TriWizard Cup) against each other and against the Hogwarts students. The stage show showcases the two schools performing dances seen in the movies.

There is also a kiddy coaster in this part of the park where you get to ride one of Hagrid’s magical pets and see his house. Hagrid is an adult friend of Harry’s. The magical animal you get to ride isn’t introduced until the third book, but it is not necessary to have any great knowledge of this book to enjoy this ride.

The only other thing worth noting is that Harry first visits the town in the 3rd book when he is 13, so the restaurant, pub, shops, and famous foods like butterbeer aren’t introduced until then in the books. But, again you can still easily enjoy this area without reading those books yet. The main draw here is visiting Hogwarts, the magical boarding school / castle at the edge of town.

If you have the time to read books 1 - 3, you can see how the details will be much more magical. However, if you don’t have time, then when you get to those books later on, you’ll already have a great frame of reference for what you are reading about. Book 4 really isn’t as necessary as it doesn’t take place in Hogsmeade very much at all. With the exception of the stage show, the whole area feels like it is set in book 3 more than anything.

Diagon Alley
Diagon Alley is a magical shopping district hidden in London for witches and wizards. It has all the normal things you’d expect to find in an urban area: stores, restaurants, lodging, and service oriented businesses like banks, apothecaries, and even a newspaper. This land is located at the back of US at Universal. It is hidden from view by the streets of London in the park, the same way it is hidden from the world in the books. You won’t see it until you enter it which is a pretty awe inspiring effect.

This area is supposed to be themed as if you were visiting it during book 7. However, while the ride is definitely themed to book 7, the town feels more like you are visiting it during book 6. Without giving too much away there is pretty much a magical civil war / coup whatever you want to call it taking place during book 7, and you do not get that vibe from the area. It definitely feels pre-war.

As far as the ride goes, unless you have read all 7 books, you won’t get what’s really going on, and there’s no good way to explain without major spoilers. The cliff notes version is basically that Harry and friends are fighting the bad guys in the bank, and you are caught in the middle. Just go with it for now, and don’t worry about the rest. It will all make sense when you finally get to that book.

Like with Hogsmeade, no real advance knowledge is required to enjoy the rest of DA past the first book. Although, Harry comes here throughout many of the books, and there are certain aspects and details that aren’t introduced until later books, the main point of DA is to get your magical shopping done to prepare to go to magic school. This can easily be achieved with only knowledge of book 1.

Most people want to follow in Harry’s footsteps. Visit the bank to get wizards money, then get a wizards robe (school uniform), a wand, a magical pet, and other school supplies. No advance knowledge is needed to enjoy any of that. Then they want to take the train over to Hogsmeade and attend school. These are all things Harry does in the first book and are each very magical in their own right. Knowledge of all the small details is great but not necessary. You’re a wizard entering an exciting magical world where you get to perform magic. The awe you’re worrying about will be there even if you only get through the first book.

A few things to note,

1. Knockturn Alley, a side street off DA, is an area Harry visits briefly in books 2 and 6. There are a few interesting nods to book six in the dark arts shop Borgin and Borks. However, there isn’t enough subject material in the books to warrant reading book 6 just for this one shop. Other than that, all you really need to know is that this is a seedy part of town where less reputable businesses operate.

2. Weasley Wizard Weases. This is a joke novelty shop that the brothers of Harry’s friend Ron own. Most of the things for sale in the shop are referenced in the books. The brothers open the shop in book 6 which is part of what makes the area feel like it takes place more during that time. Again, the items for sale are interesting and self explanatory and do not require any extra background to enjoy.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that HP is a very magical world to begin with. Most of the things found in the two lands are interesting and awe inspiring in their own right and are easily enjoyed with only a basic knowledge of the subject matter. Knowing the background behind many of the details adds a second layer to the experience, but is not necessary for having a magical time.

Magical extras you can enjoy with only a knowledge of the first book:
  • Order your kids magic school acceptance letters off Etsy or make your own.
  • Have your kids get sorted into their house on Pottermore ahead of time.
  • Pretend you are first year students going to Hogwarts for the first time, follow in HP’s footsteps
  • Order or make Hogwarts robes for kids to wear while there
  • Eat in one of the restaurants.
  • Send mail home by owl post like a wizard. Remember to bring a stamp or risk paying “magical” prices for a special addition set in the park.
  • Try magical candy, ice cream, and butterbeer.
  • Take magical pictures at Shutterbutton
  • Try on robes in front of the talking mirror at Madam Malkins
  • Explore all the shops in DA
  • Perform spells with a magic wand
  • Visit Ollivanders for the wand show
  • Watch the different stage shows in both parks
  • Take time to explore the windows and shop fronts and the merchandise for sale in the shops
  • Exchange your money for wizard money
  • Make a bank ID card
  • Tour the castle
  • Walk through platform 9 3/4
  • Ride the train to school
  • Talk to the conductor and take pics with him in front of the train
  • Experience the dragon in DA
  • Take pictures in front of the castle
  • Take time to talk to the employees, ask questions, have fun, they will be in character and happy to explain things to you in books you might not have got to yet.
You’ll find more than 15 minutes worth of stuff to do.

As a side note, the Dr. Seuss area is very awe inspiring as well, so make sure you’re prepared for that area aslso. It is one of the most detailed best themed areas I’ve ever seen done at a park. You really feel as if you are inside the pages of a Dr. Seuss book.

Books referenced are:
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish (ride)
  • Cat in the Hat (ride)
  • The Sneetches and Other Stories (ride)
  • If I Ran the Zoo (play area)
  • Green Eggs and Ham (restaurant)
  • If I Ran the Circus (restaurant)
  • Hop on Pop (snacks)
  • Dr. Seuess’s Sleep Book (snacks)
  • Happy Birthday to You (snacks)
  • The Lorax (walkthrough exhibit)
  • And to Think that We Saw It on Mulberry St (ride ref and store)
  • Horton Hatches the Egg (Easter egg)
  • Mc Elliot’s Pool (Easter egg)
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas (character meet / holiday entertainment)
Wow this is one of the best posts i have ever seen in this forum. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!