Please help me understand booking now but hoping for a military 2018 discount

VAfamily1998

DIS Veteran
My family (me, husband, 4 children between the ages of 11-17) will be heading to Disney in early January for the marathon weekend...so our dates are fixed and non-negotiable.

We qualify for the military discount and have used it several times in the past, but it hasn't been released yet for 2018 (and yes, I know there is no real guarantee that the terms will be the same as previous years, or even that there will be one at all.)

Because we are a larger family, we are more limited in the kind of room we can get. Right now I have a reservation for a rack-rate cabin at Fort Wilderness at $379/night.
By going to the Disney website, I see that we could also do a Deluxe room at BWI for $899/night. I would prefer that--but $899 is a little steep. IF they do the same terms for the military discount as previous years--the military rate would be $539/night, which is within our budget.

BUT...I am very worried that either A) the Deluxe rooms won't be included as a military discount or B) the room will sell out and not be available. There are only a few of those Deluxe rooms.

If I was to go ahead and book the Deluxe room NOW, while I know it is available...and then the military discount is released, will they give me the lower price? Or by booking it now, am I sabotaging the "availability" of rooms eligible for the discount?
I'm very torn on how to proceed.

I'd book and hold the rooms and dates you want. The room category you want might not be included but likely something will especially this early. Call back as soon as discounts are released and adjust accordingly. If for some reason deluxes aren't included then the phone cm will be available to find you what other options there are. Discounts are usually made public in September so you won't be in limbo long.

My understanding is if you book now and a discount comes out later you will have to cancel your current reservation (that the CMs won't just adjust your reservation) and then rebook (taking a chance the room category you want for the dates you want might or might not be available with a discount).

I'm awaiting the military discount for 2018 as well, but I'm not booking early because it'll just make it more difficult on the phone when the discount actually is released. My views about it are wait for the discount and be on the phone time discounts are released, if you book now be aware that you may not be able to get that room with a discount so I'd only book that now if you are willing to pay rack rate for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter