Please help: meals in studio

PleasejointheFarque

Mouseketeer
HI there

The DH and I are staying BLT/ studio for 14 nights, and are trying to make it a semi/ kinda-budget trip so TS every night is out, and my tummy wouldn't enjoy living on QS burgers for 14 days.

What meals can we have in our studio that wont make us feel like we are poor uni students again. I was thinking of getting stuff from the store at the contemporary, but have not a clue where to start. We are international DVCers so sending/ packing food isn't an option.

Either for lunches by the pool, or a quick dinner after the pool before we hit the parks at night.

We love the USA style bagels and cereals, so breakfast is sorted.

Any help from the DVC veterans out there would be appreciated.
Thanks

There are many threads on studio meals. But even if you are an international traveler, you can still have groceries delivered to your studio. Via Amazon pantry, Garden Grocer and local Publix will deliver so don't think you are limited to just what's at the hotel store. I would seriously think about those sources as there are many frozen quick meals available at our grocery stores that are actually pretty good. I'm not a frozen food fan but I do like Stouffer's meatloaf & gravy. That with some veggies and maybe some bread, it's a great quick meal that's totally microwavable.

Publix has awesome rotisserie style chickens for about $6. It's easy to make a meal with some frozen veggies on that and sometimes with leftovers.

Of course, any type of pasta dish can be done in the microwave there.

Soups with toast. Or Soup and grilled cheese. Yes you can make it with your iron. Make your sandwich as normal but butter both sides of bread and wrap in tin foil (so you'll need to get some of that) and then put the iron on high heat. Press the sandwich for 1 minute on each side. It's a little squished but it's cooked. Of course, you can add meat to this idea and make grilled ham/turkey & cheese this way too.

DW usually makes a one pot meal:
Stew
Soup
Lasagna
As we usually stay in studios, these work out great for reheating in the microwave. We sometimes will eat breakfast out and then depending on what we are doing that day either lunch or dinner in the room every day.

Thanks for your suggestions, I dont cook normally (thats DHs joy) so trying to come up with exciting meals is way beyond my skill set. And being international we dont really know what brands of frozen microwave meals to get that are edible so thanks for the recommendation. I guess i better polish up on my frozen meal skills and practice not burning the soup :earsboy::earsgirl:

We always enjoy sandwiches with a veggie tray, Cole slaw, potato chips and pickles. Not a hot meal, but very good. You could also order a $15 crockpot from Amazon and make all kids of meals. Crockpot spaghetti and meatballs, chili, stew, soups, even baked chicken and veggies.

Your biggest challenge will be where to put the food. The grudges are very small. Some studio fridges don’t even have a freezer anymore.

Thanks for your suggestions, I dont cook normally (thats DHs joy) so trying to come up with exciting meals is way beyond my skill set. And being international we dont really know what brands of frozen microwave meals to get that are edible so thanks for the recommendation. I guess i better polish up on my frozen meal skills and practice not burning the soup :earsboy::earsgirl:

Do you like the Mac and Cheese at Liberty Tree Tavern? If so, buy the exact same product frozen under the Stauffer's brand name. Stauffer's also makes a very passable Lasagna and meatloaf in frozen form. For lunch, you can order cold cuts and bread (or rolls) from garden grocer or other food delivery service. Add some potato chips, tortilla chips, or similar product, and a pickle for an Americanized lunch.

Perhaps something in these threads might give you ideas. Grilling is also a good idea to cover meat and then add in some packaged veggies heated in the microwave or a salad. You'll have a fridge so if you did a sit down meal and had leftovers you can bring them back and add a little something to make a second meal that would perhaps put it on par in pricing with a QS burger. Soup can be easily heated in the microwave and add a roll and/or salad.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/my-fellow-studio-people.3480017/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...or-studio-kitchenettes.3631452/#post-58161546

Perhaps something in these threads might give you ideas. Grilling is also a good idea to cover meat and then add in some packaged veggies heated in the microwave or a salad. You'll have a fridge so if you did a sit down meal and had leftovers you can bring them back and add a little something to make a second meal that would perhaps put it on par in pricing with a QS burger. Soup can be easily heated in the microwave and add a roll and/or salad.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/my-fellow-studio-people.3480017/

https://www.disboards.com/threads/b...or-studio-kitchenettes.3631452/#post-58161546

thanks heaps for the links......:)

Check out the Hamilton Beach sandwich maker. If you like bagels, you can make yourself egg and cheese sandwiches in it (adding meat if you want, too). When I'm not having groceries delivered, I freeze shredded cheese and a carton of egg whites and pack them in my suitcase (is packing food in checked luggage allowed on international flights?). I prefer hot breakfast, so that is perfect for us. It also works as a breakfast for dinner sometimes. Before I bought that, I used to just microwave eggs in coffee cups.
People on YouTube have gotten very creative with their sandwich makers (it isn't like a panini maker), and have managed to even make pancakes and other meals in it.

Toast English muffins in your toaster, heat up a Jimmy Dean sausage pattie in the microwave, add a slice of cheese and you have a great breakfast sandwich.

Also, I'm not so sure heating up the frozen Stouffer's Lasagne in the microwave will work very well if it hasn't been baked in the oven first. Just plan on not having a freezer to keep frozen food frozen. Plan on eating defrosted food which might not been too good after a day or two or going to the grocery every so often. 14 nights in a BLT studio would actually drive me crazy, but you might enjoy it.

I love bagged salad kits. and you can add some precooked chicken if you need it. I would just uber to a grocery store once you get there and get stuff for salads and sandwiches.

I can’t remember if “crock pots” are allowed or not. Check and if they are you could get one delivered and have many options. I also don’t know if single burner electric stoves are allowed but again, check and see that could expand your options. I think hot plates are a no though.

Toast English muffins in your toaster, heat up a Jimmy Dean sausage pattie in the microwave, add a slice of cheese and you have a great breakfast sandwich.

Also, I'm not so sure heating up the frozen Stouffer's Lasagne in the microwave will work very well if it hasn't been baked in the oven first. Just plan on not having a freezer to keep frozen food frozen. Plan on eating defrosted food which might not been too good after a day or two or going to the grocery every so often. 14 nights in a BLT studio would actually drive me crazy, but you might enjoy it.

thanks for the tips, we have done 14 nights a few times before in the BLT studio, and since we live in a tinsy -tiny inner city apartment (love the lifestyle so worth the lack of space) we are use to the close quarters......but I do think others would struggle who are used to living in larger homes.

Also, I'm not so sure heating up the frozen Stouffer's Lasagne in the microwave will work very well if it hasn't been baked in the oven first.

The individual (i.e., not the family) sized Stouffer's lasagna heat up very well in the microwave. The individual serving sizes are available in two portion sizes. The smaller size is appropriate for someone with not a lot of appetite. The larger size is a meal for an adult. I have them all the time at home. The "family size" Stouffer's lasagna easily feeds a hungry family of four, and wouldn't work for the OP since they are just two people.

There are many choices beside QS burgers. Many of the QS in the World showcase offer very good alternatives.

Just look over the menu's and get an idea of what else is out there like soup and sandwiches, wraps, salads and so on.

Soup, salad, sandwiches, and frozen meals. That's pretty much it since you're travelling internationally.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can get groceries delivered for free (just make sure to meet them in the lobby). You can use the sink in the kitchenette, fill it up with ice to keep whatever you need cold/frozen if there isn't enough space in the mini fridge. I was there last May and I don't recall if there was a little freezer left anymore in the mini fridge.

Although, as a prior poster said, there is a lot more than burgers and fries at QS restaurants.

Whatever you plan to do with shopping, plan on doing it a few times because your refrigerator is not going to hold 15 days worth of food.

I always end up buying too many groceries when we stay at Disney, and have a lot left over. I always forget there are always leftovers from dinners and we just don't eat as much when it is hot out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!