Please help -Nov. vs Dec?- opinions

DB Washington

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are in the process of buying a resale at BWV (should get the closing docs by week end!) We are thinking of coming during the post Thanksgiving/pre Christmas time period because of the decorations and low attendance figures -staying at the BWV (if we can get a place still).

I have heard conflicting stories about when to go - is it better to go right after Thanksgiving in November or the first or second week of December?

Any opinions on that time period and also experiences at getting a 1BR Std view at the BWV during that time period, as well, are appreciated. Thank you :)

The first 2 weeks of December are a wonderful time to visit Disney... BUT... the Boardwalk was sold out for these particular 2 weeks at 10.5 months out... If you can get a reservation or get your name on a waitlist, I'd do it as soon as possible! You might also be able to get a reservation at Old Key West or Wilderness Lodge if you are flexible....

Good luck, I'd go with the first 2 weeks of December!

Thanks for the advice, Chris. I think we are flexible on the other resorts, I just wonder about travel time to the MK, Epcot & MGM via the bus from the other two resorts. If anyone has an experience they want to share on that topic, please feel free.

I think my DH is interested in checking the BW out since we are buying there.

Just to let you know, we're going to 11/27 - 12/7/01 (2bdrm OKW). Called yesterday to maybe extend our trip before or after and/or to get second unit if family wanted to join us. Didn't have to be at the same resort - wanted to see what was available.

Was told ALL SOLD OUT at all 3 resorts until 12/13/01!!!! Nothing available before then anywhere!!!:eek:

Low points, x-mas decorations, mild weather, airfare wars - guess everyone's going HOME this December!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

OM Goodness!! I'm really surprised there isn't something available somewhere?? Were they sold out every night in every type of accomodation? That's amazing... YIKES! We're also going during that timeframe, 12/2-12/14 at VWL... Really looking forward to it....

Don't panic until you get on the wait list! We were down from 12/3-12/13 last year. First week was crowded, but second week was heaven!!

In my opinion, too much is made of the buses. We have been staying on site for 8 years, and while we have certainly had to wait for buses from time to time, it isn't a big deal. We are on vacation, so why get so harried by a little time. We always stay at OKW and always take the bus to the parks. The only time we get frustrated with buses is when we go to DD or try to go between resorts. We usually take a bus to Epcot and sometimes take the launch from there to MGM or even walk via the Boardwalk. We like to walk to DD via the walkway from OKW, or take the boat there. We often drive to the other resorts if we have PS at one of their restraunts.

this is a very popular time for DVC members to visit WDW. That said, I wouldn't give up hope..call MS and get your name on a waiting list, you never know what magic may come your way! Folks are always changing their plans. Last year we had to cancel our first week in december trip due to medical reasons..we canceled just before the 30 day cancellations window..making another member on a waiting list very happy.

Also, standard views are very limited. (I believe only 20% of the resort is a standard view..someone please correct me if I'm wrong) So, if you are thinking about staying in standard rooms, you need to book as soon as possible at the 11 month window. Again, if you don't get a standard view when you call MS...take the perferred view and get on the waiting list for a standard view. Many of us have had great success with the waiting list.

Congratulations and welcome home!

I agree this is a very popular time, it happens to be our favorite. We were waitlisted last year and got our 3 days about 8 weeks before our trip, which was Dec. 3-13.

We will be there from 12/2 to 12/14. This is one of the two times of year that we will visit WDW. Some years we go during the Holoween period.

Actually, it is less than 20% of the BWV that are standard view. That is why they are so difficult to get.

This is one more reason to own where you plan to stay most and to make use of your eleven month window.

Hey Rich, We have the exact same dates!!! 12/2-14!! Only we are at VWL, we were initially going to be at OKW, but decided to check out the new resort...

Thanks for the great advice/opinions and the encouragement, everyone. We will get on a waiting list once we get our new member number. Since its just the two of us, we can be pretty flexible.

Really looking forward to our stay!:bounce:

In fact, my wife swears that she will never go in the summertime, again! We'll see. If you're into celebrating Christmas and love the normal festive air at WDW anyday, then Disney in December is like heaven on earth. We were toying with the idea of going back this year after we went for a long weekend last year. I believe that there is a such thing a s too much of a good thing so we are forgoing the Winter trip. It is especially challenging for us as we are both school teachers.

The fact that this time of year is high priority for DVC members should surprise noone. It is cheaper and the magic is magnified!

Chris

:) :) :)

We're going Home 11/29-12/3 to BW.

Had to waitlist 2 of the days but they
came through after a couple weeks.

Funny, my boss will be there about the
same time.

Guess everyone has the same idea -
what a wonderful way to spend part
of the holidays!

Ho-Ho-Ho

NYTIGGR

:) :) :)

I've stayed at both times with my family, and I didn't really notice much of a difference in crowds. It is a great time to go if you love Christmas decorations.

We usually take the buses and really didn't have much of a problem at all. Best of luck to you.

:confused:We are staying at Hilton Head for Thanksgiving. Has anyone been there for the holiday? How will it be temperature wise and is there enough to keep three ten year olds busy? Questions lots of questions!:earseek: :earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter