Please help with MK restaurant search

BecuzImaLady

Mouseketeer
ok you guys, I thought it would be a simple choice and I wouldn’t have to ask for your help with this, but I just don’t know enough about MK table service restaurants to be able to make a decent decision here. Here’s the deal...I need a place to eat lunch or dinner in MK or around MK on 3/13/19 (easy to get to using Disney transportation), I am way late to the reservation game (as in don’t have one at all), I am paying out of pocket, and it’s also my 11th anniversary. Don’t worry about this being romantic, I am bringing my 12 yr old daughter with me. I just couldn’t take a trip to her favorite place and leave her behind. I looked and all that has an open ressie is skipper canteen, diamond horseshoe, the plaza, liberty tree tavern, and I didn’t really look at any of the MK area hotels. Now that you have read my novel I am writing here, my question is... what’s the best food for the $ I can get at MK or around MK on super short notice and don’t worry about if we will like certain options we eat just about anything. I just don’t want to pay OOP and it be a bummer of a meal on my anniversary. Thanks if you have hung in this long!

ok you guys, I thought it would be a simple choice and I wouldn’t have to ask for your help with this, but I just don’t know enough about MK table service restaurants to be able to make a decent decision here. Here’s the deal...I need a place to eat lunch or dinner in MK or around MK on 3/13/19 (easy to get to using Disney transportation), I am way late to the reservation game (as in don’t have one at all), I am paying out of pocket, and it’s also my 11th anniversary. Don’t worry about this being romantic, I am bringing my 12 yr old daughter with me. I just couldn’t take a trip to her favorite place and leave her behind. I looked and all that has an open ressie is skipper canteen, diamond horseshoe, the plaza, liberty tree tavern, and I didn’t really look at any of the MK area hotels. Now that you have read my novel I am writing here, my question is... what’s the best food for the $ I can get at MK or around MK on super short notice and don’t worry about if we will like certain options we eat just about anything. I just don’t want to pay OOP and it be a bummer of a meal on my anniversary. Thanks if you have hung in this long!

The Plaza.

my question is... what’s the best food for the $ I can get at MK or around MK on super short notice
More important is, which location serves food that appeals to you?

Options for obtaining reservations:
  • Be flexible
  • Use the Touring Plans ADR finder
  • Be persistent
  • Wait until the day before, when reservations have to be cancelled to avoid penalties

The Plaza is by far the least expensive, but mostly (delicious) sandwiches and ice cream!

Do you have a park hopper ticket? If so, Id chose and Epcot restaurant and then go to MK via monorail.

Id also consider the Spirit of Aloha Dinner show (early show if you want to go to MK after..also easy access via monorail).

The venue is very small, so all seats are good. Prices include tax and tip and beer, wine sangria throughout the show.
upload_2019-2-17_18-58-55.png

Grand Floridian Cafe (one stop away on the monorail has a BEAUTIFUL atmosphere and menu that wont break the bank...

upload_2019-2-17_19-1-57.png
upload_2019-2-17_19-2-45.png

Skipper Canteen in the park is good too if youre a little more adventurous!

upload_2019-2-17_19-5-12.png
upload_2019-2-17_19-6-9.png

We generally bypass the MK eateries and have meals at nearby resorts. We like Kona Cafe from past Poly stays; discovered Geyser Point Lounge (no ADRs) at Wilderness Lodge last trip and went twice over the winter holidays. It's an easy short boat ride from MK and seems a world away; very relaxing and they make a nice burger among other menu offerings. They also have a QS with the same name that seems pretty popular with the resort's guests.
The Contemporary, is within walking distance of MK, and although I've only ever eaten at CG there, many posters enjoy the various places they have to eat. Same for GF minus the ability to walk there.

The Plaza is by far the least expensive, but mostly (delicious) sandwiches and ice cream!

Do you have a park hopper ticket? If so, Id chose and Epcot restaurant and then go to MK via monorail.

Id also consider the Spirit of Aloha Dinner show (early show if you want to go to MK after..also easy access via monorail).

The venue is very small, so all seats are good. Prices include tax and tip and beer, wine sangria throughout the show.
View attachment 383031

Grand Floridian Cafe (one stop away on the monorail has a BEAUTIFUL atmosphere and menu that wont break the bank...

View attachment 383032
View attachment 383033

Skipper Canteen in the park is good too if youre a little more adventurous!

View attachment 383044
View attachment 383045

The Plaza is not mostly sandwiches for dinner.
http://allears.net/dining/menu/plaza-restaurant/dinner/

If you opt for Skipper Canteen, I suggest that, when you check in for your ADR, you request to be seated in one of the smaller rooms (the S.E.A room or Family Parlor). The whole restaurant is filled with the thematic decor (I enjoyed wandering around during our dinner last year), but I think the smaller rooms will feel more "special occasion" special. Does your other half enjoy pun humor? Our server, Darrin, was hilarious. He had a pun for everything and never missed a beat. Perhaps you will get as lucky as we did on that front. While the food was no one's favorite (my group is in the minority here for sure ), it was a fun and memorable family experience.

I also loved Skipper Canteen when we went in December. (I highly recommend the "Kungaloosh!" for dessert!!)

Or if you'd like to take a break at one of the neighboring resorts, we also really enjoyed lunch at The Wave (Contemporary) on a past trip.

I would carefully browse each menu from available restaurants in MK as well as nearby resorts and choose the one that appeals to you the most, especially if it is for your anniversary. Every restaurant at Disney World has people who love it and hate it, and it really is going to depend on your personal preferences about food options, atmosphere. And I'd be open to checking daily, especially in the week up into your trip. There have been several times when we didn't have an ADR and so many opened up in the days before we were trying to book.

Outside MK, but an easy boat ride away, is Grand Floridian Cafe at the Grand Floridian. Probably easy to get a reservation. We always love it there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter