Please help with suggestions of where to go/not go at WDW-Memorial Day!

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I figure there are going to be lots of people at WDW on Memorial Day so I'm trying to get some ideas of where to avoid and go later in the week. Planning to wait on Beaches and Cream, Fantasmic, Illuminations, ESPN for dinner, MK, Pleasure Island, DTD, miniature golf. Do you agree? Any additions, deletions, changes? How about Epcot during the day? It's our first full day at WDW, and I'd really like to go over to see the Flower and Garden displays. What about in the evening? Any ideas about what we can do and what you think we should avoid? Thanks!

I'd avoid MK at all costs, especially on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Epcot is much more accessible, being such a huge park.

If there are late night hours at the parks, you might consider hopping to MK or MGM later in the evening (after 9pm, when the kiddies are heading to bed). Illuminations shouldn't be too bad since it's shown every night and crowds are more dispursed. I'm not sure about mini golf, but you might have luck during the day when everyone else is packed into MK.

... I was wondering the same thing. It's not confirmed, but DS & I are trying to plan a trip that would begin Mem. Day w/end. Thanks for the tip!

We were at WDW this past Thanksgiving week. We avoided the parks on T/G day. We hit DisneyQuest when it opened, shopped, then had PS at Hoop-do-do. :cool:

I agree with Cleo, MK is packed! Epcot is also crowded but it's a much bigger space. I was at AK on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and it was pretty busy. The lines were okay with FPs, maybe 40 minutes in the standby line.

I'm glad someone else started this thread because we (myself, 14 year old son and his best friend) had to switch our dates. Instead of the first week in June, we'll be at WDW May 24-May 31. I had thought about MK on Sunday the 25th, but after reading the above, maybe we should tour the parks Tuesday-Thursday. What do you think? Do you think Universal would be just as bad on Sunday? I had already planned not to set foot in a park on Memorial Day but had considered the Sunday before. I'm so excited, I'll just be happy to be home!!!

:) Hi,
We were also in WDW last Memorial Day weekend. We went down the weekend before for a convention and tacked on
some extra days. Here's the Memorial Day weekend schedule:
We decided to do Magic Kingdom on Friday, because we didn't
want to deal with it on any of the REAL weekend days. Boy was it hot. It was the first day of our trip that crowds were noticable. Stand by lines were long, we did alot of FastPassing then left by 6 to go back to BW and swim. (We get to visit alot, so already have seen the nighttime parade etc. and did NOT want to deal with that.)
Saturday, boy was it hot. We went to Animal Kingdom, yes, crowded again, but once again, we picked out the highlights, did alot of show timing planning, then left in the afternoon to go back swimming. At night we had Fantasmic dinner reservations, and that worked out perfect (Remember, we were staying at the Boardwalk, so that was an easy "commute".... Also, we had done the bulk of Mgm on Thursday.).
Sunday was Epcot. Boy was it ... ok, you catch my drift!!!! :)
I do not remember it being that crowded. Just get your FastPasses to TestTrack early because they "sold out".
Monday we didn't go to a park, just hopped on a plane to head home.
If you like to have at least one nice meal a day, I highly recommend making ressies. We had a party of 7, so it was kind of mandatory. Please do not let me be hungry with no place to go in
any of the parks!!!! Some people do not like to plan that much, however, just pick out the park for each day, then pick a restaurant within. OR know that you're going back to your resort with a ressie. When it's crowded AND hot, knowing you can cool off and relax is a nice comfort. (We had a nice lunch in Epcot, then couldn't get anything for dinner. We ended up doing takeout at the ESPN Club at 10pm.... yikes, a little late....)
I hope this helps. I'll be asking for Labor Day weekend tips soon!
Terry

We will end our vacation there on the Tuesd after Memorial Day weekend and plan on hitting most parks the Tues-Fri before the busy weekend...just curious....are the water parks equally as crowded as the rest of the parks that weekend? I'm figuring they would be so what is the best time of day to hit BB and TL on Saturday and Sunday? Also, I was betting on MK being a little less crowded as Mon, Memorial Day, wore on as people starting heading out to travel back home. We were going to spend that Mon at a park hoping to get in MK at least half that day. Are my assumptions right or am I just doing alot of wishful thinking?

We typcially go each year the Saturday before Memorial Day through the next Saturday. It's a great time to go. Crowds are moderate everywhere EXCEPT Magic Kingdom that Saturday, Sunday and Monday (Memorial Day). It's a beautiful time to go as the International Flower and Garden Festival is going on at Epcot. What a nice way to kick off your summer, huh? And, many school systems throughout the country haven't let out yet, so crowds are moderate. Weather is great.

Actually, I love going this time of the year so much that I'm very sad because it may not happen for us this year until later - late summer or fall.

Have fun!

PamNC

Seeing that you are knowledgeable about May, I’m going to pick your brain if you don’t mind!! I am trying to set an itinerary for the 19-26. I know its hard becuz everyone has their own likes/dislikes..but I’d like to know generally, how well this agenda might work…..

Mon…arrive around 1 pm..(by car) check In & maybe a water park
Tues…MGM (w/EE)
Wed/Thurs…..MK
Friday…AK (w/EE)
Sat…Epcot
Sun…waterparks, DTD
Mon…MGM and/or MK one last morning b4 chk/in at Universal

We have 6 day PH+ tix…would it be better to switch the two Monday itineraries and hit a park our first Mon even though it would only be ½ day but the crowds will be lighter than on our last Mon (Memorial day)? Thanks for any advice! (BTW, traveling with 2 DSs (ages 7/11 and DH!!)

Thanks for the advice. We've been to WDW many times, but never at this particular time (8th grader, won't take out of school and have to get in vacation before marching band practice starts). In fact DS just got back from WDW with middle school band and spent 12 hours at Epcot, so we're thinking of skipping it this trip. The boys want to go to IOA one day, and I had thought of building in some swim/non-park days. Looks like we will be somewhere the Sunday before Memorial Day though. Just wish those May hours would come out!

CRAZY,
I think I would DEFINITELY consider switching the Mondays, and do a park upon arrival (think about Epcot because it stays open the latest... that's what we usually do a first partial day).
Doing AK and a water park on the actual weekend days sounds like a good bet to me!
All you Memorial Day travelers have a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter