Please opine - car or scooter

TexasCruisers

Earning My Ears
We are going in December and taking my 80yo mother (staying at Old Key West). She complains that she is slow and has some dizziness issues. I'm thinking about getting her a Rollator to use. Depending on where we end up at the resort, I may get a small car for use getting to the bus stops. (We are also volunteering 2 days at GKTW, so would need to Uber/Taxi anyway) Would you consider renting a scooter instead and dealing with the bus/scooter issue. (I am a bit concerned that she would hit someone. Road rage issues. :car:) I have time to debate the issue with myself, but I'm leaning towards the car/rollator. Are the rollators pretty easy to use? Thanks!

My opinion, rollators are a breeze to use. The problem with them is that they do not make it easier to walk such a distance. Disney is huge. HUGE.

The first time I went, needing some sort of help, we rented from the parks. And in two parks, I used my rollator.

It killed me. I decided that I would never again try to use just the rollator.

I highly recommend renting a scooter from an off site vendor. I had great service from Walker.

@TexasCruisers Howdy neighbor! We live on the north side of the Red ;)

What about a wheelchair? If you have enough folks in the group, y'all could just take turns pushing Mom. She could walk a bit if she wanted to, and use the wheelchair like a walker - just push it from behind (empty, of course) For the pushers, I always recommend taking along a set of inexpensive bike gloves or golf gloves - something to protect your hands. You can find a pair on your next Wal-Mart run in the sporting goods section!

Wheelchairs fold up nice and flat to go in a rental car - but you could also easily take it on all of the buses! Plus, it takes up almost no space in the Resort room (although the OKW rooms are so nice and big!). Last bonus is wheelchairs are pretty cheap to rent - certainly cheaper than an ECV. You may even know someone there at home who has one to loan you for the trip. Check with your Church, and local service organizations like Eastern Star/Masons, Elks, Moose, etc. As long as it's in good condition (you don't want one that is too heavy or too rickety) off you go! :)

And, if you want to skip the rental car, don't forget that the new Minnie Van fleet is up and running, and it's only $20 per ride - so that might be a cheaper alternative if you only need the car to/from GKTW.

Have fun! And :welcome:

If your mom drives a car at home then a scooter should be okay. You may have to help getting an offsite rental scooter on and off Disney transportation. It's a little tricky to maneuver the scooter and park it on a Disney bus. Parks are crowded and people dart out in front of scooters. Does she have the reflexes to stop quickly?

Maybe, you can practice with a free scooter at the stores. Those are actually harder to use than the regular scooters. See how she does up and down the aisles, turning corners and so forth.

The scooter will get you way more park time; she won't get as tired as walking through the park. You will accomplish more.

A wheelchair is the best answer. I did it for my mom when I was in my fifties. We alternated rides and shows. The shows gave me a rest. Eating at the park provides another rest. I could manage a 6-8 hour day pushing a wheelchair. I am by no means physically fit.

Rollators are very easy, and have the advantage of giving you a place to sit. My Dad finds that they cut down on fatigue (the handful of times I've used one I've found that it's no better than my cane, but either is miles less tiring than going without). It depends on your issues. They're particularly good for people with balance problems. A wheelchair might be a solution if she's willing. I've had my Dad twice in AK with the rollator, and it was fine, although on the second trip he had one that converted into a wheelchair which we did throughout the day (I don't recommend that, because it's awful to push and jouncy for the rider).

I don't know how helpful the car would be for the bus stops, and usually if you have mobility issues you can request that they put you relatively near one. I would call and do that, though, not wait until you get there.

We are going in December and taking my 80yo mother (staying at Old Key West). She complains that she is slow and has some dizziness issues. I'm thinking about getting her a Rollator to use. Depending on where we end up at the resort, I may get a small car for use getting to the bus stops. (We are also volunteering 2 days at GKTW, so would need to Uber/Taxi anyway) Would you consider renting a scooter instead and dealing with the bus/scooter issue. (I am a bit concerned that she would hit someone. Road rage issues. :car:) I have time to debate the issue with myself, but I'm leaning towards the car/rollator. Are the rollators pretty easy to use? Thanks!

How would having a small car help you get to a bus stop? Do you mean you'd get in your car and drive to the bus stop? You'd have to hope for an open parking spot at someone else's loop, wouldn't you? Or I guess you could drop her off and go back and park where you were before? And one that would be close enough to make a difference? Look at OKW on google maps, and see if you think it's worth it?

I use them all. For you mom I think a rollator would be great. With the dizziness and road rage I would be afraid of her using a scooter. Are you planning to drive to the parks? That is what we always do. I have a handicap hang tag so we park pretty close to the front. We even drive to MK, but I know most people don't.

When we took my 88yo mother to Disney we rented a wheelchair. Like a previous poster I would be concerned about the amount of walking that goes with visiting Disney.

A scooter would give your mother more freedom and you much less work but you would have to feel comfortable that she would be able to drive it safely with her dizziness issues.

So excited to hear about your volunteering at GKTW! A wonderful thing to do!

at home my 80 yo mom uses a rollator and she is fine (slow but can make it around) in Disney we rent a scooter because there is just too much walking. the problem with a rollator down there is say your in Epcot and she can make it half way around the WS... even if she sits and rests, she still has to walk the entire rest of the way or else she has to take the boat and miss half of the countries. While I am down there wearing my AppleWatch I can get about 20K steps in one day just walking around myself and I could never imagine my mom doing that much walking and still enjoying herself

The problem with them is that they do not make it easier to walk such a distance.

the problem with a rollator down there is say your in Epcot and she can make it half way around the WS... even if she sits and rests, she still has to walk the entire rest of the way

After watching my MIL with her rollator I agree. They make walking possible, but you're still walking. And often putting a lot of pressure on the upper body.

If possible I would go with the wheelchair suggestion instead.

Adding in...my MIL has a horrible habit of thinking that her sitting on the seat and me pushing her is an option. I'll do it if absolutely necessary, but it's not safe for her and it's not healthy for my back. And so that's another issue with the rollator, if she thinks that's a good option. Pushing a wheelchair isn't easy, but pushing a rollator any distance can be agony even on a youngish healthy body.

Last edited:
Yeah if she has road rage, don't go with an ECV. :(
Using a rollator will wear her out and they still can go flying if she loses her balance.

I also suggest wheelchair. WDW is just too big of a property - between bus stops and hotels and actual Parks... whew!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter