Please recommend 2 TS meals (no character or buffet)

usmcwife1

Mouseketeer
We are traveling in late Apr for 7 nights and will mostly eat CS or offsite dinners but we'd like to do 2 sit down dinners, we aren't on DDP but so long as DH and I can stay under $45/plate without drinks I'm happy, we'll save $ the other days lol... I have been looking over menus and am already overwhelmed with choices! Plus with only 2 reservations I don't want to waste one on something mediocre. Any can't miss restaurants that you like to plan for? Last trip we did all offsite and CS and while it was fine I don't remember anything we ate yk?

We don't want to do character dining or buffets and would prefer the least loud/crazy (My oldest is autistic so he is sensitive to excessive noise) but I don't expect silence by any means, just normal restaurant level noise ;) the only one of us picky is my oldest but the younger 3 eat any and everything, love seafood, veggies, meat, exotic spices etc.

Anything you'd recommend we try this trip? Thanks so much!!!

How about Sanaa over at AKLodge/Kidani Village? They have some unique offerings, and you can easily stay under that $45 per adult. I believe you can also see the animals on the savannah from the restaurant.

Schedule this on your AK day and then hang around after dinner to watch the animals some more.

Another option would be any of the restaurants over in the Boardwalk area. Yachtsman Steak House, Captain's Grill, Kouzzina. After dinner, enjoy the activities on the Boardwalk.

Our favorite restaurant is 'Ohana. It isn't a buffet, but it is served family style. It is similar to a Brazilian steak house where they serve grilled carved meat--all you can eat shrimp, steak, pork, chicken, plus they have pot stickers, salads, noodles, and bread. They'll happily serve (at no added charge) an alternate kid's meal if they are picky and don't like the carved meat (mac-n-cheese, hamburger, hot dog, etc.). If that doesn't sound appealing, how about Teppan Edo? It's a Japanese hibachi style restaurant. I also agree that Sanaa at the AKL (at Kidani village, not the main Jambo house) would be a good choice. The food tends to be spicey, but they have milder options for kids.

How about Sanaa over at AKLodge/Kidani Village? They have some unique offerings, and you can easily stay under that $45 per adult. I believe you can also see the animals on the savannah from the restaurant.

Schedule this on your AK day and then hang around after dinner to watch the animals some more.

Another option would be any of the restaurants over in the Boardwalk area. Yachtsman Steak House, Captain's Grill, Kouzzina. After dinner, enjoy the activities on the Boardwalk.

I agree with Sanaa. Try for a 5pm or 5:30pm ADR. Those are relatively easy times to be able to ask for a window seat. It will also still be light out so you would get a great view of the animals while you dine-they are really close up! Prices are reasonable too.

Are you only looking for dinner, or are you considering other meals? If so, Kona Cafe and Boma both have terrific breakfast menus. For lunch I like the Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time Cafe or Liberty Tree Tavern. All reasonably priced & nicely themed as well.

Dinner. Non-character, non-buffet, non-screaming.

In AK, how about Yak&Yeti TS? Ask to sit upstairs for a quieter experience. Good food, very extensive menu, fantastic theming. In Epcot, if you like Japanese food, skip Teppan Edo (noise level with multiple tables can be chaotic) and look at Tokyo Dining instead. You can get teppanyaki style food there, just not cooked on your tabletop, but they have a lot more choices too. If Japanese is too 'out there', then Tutto Italia or Via Napoli. At the resorts Ohana is very good but the entertainer who gets the little ones up to play games might be a bit too loud for your oldest. The Signatures are mostly all wonderful but very pricey - but how about Hoop De Doo? It is expensive but has very good non-exotic food, a really fun family-friendly show, and the price includes adult beverages for you and DH.

The two best meals that my fiance and I had on our October trip were at House of Blues in DTD and The Wave at the contemporary resort. A very close third was Mama Melrose in DHS. I found the prices to be very reasonable and the food was exceptional. House of Blues we had the shrimp and grits, and the jambalaya...both were amazing and our favorite meals of the trip; however, this was the noisest of the three restaurants. At the wave we had a seafood pasta with a spicy tomato sauce, and some kind of beef (not mine, hah), but he was bugging me the rest of the trip if we could go back to the wave for dinner again, everything was amazing, plus we loved the dessert trios! And at Mama Melrose I had the campanelle pasta with shrimp and the panna cotta, and he had the osso bucco with tiramisu and everything was delicious. Good luck!

These are all fabulous recommendations! I would have never thought about Sanaa but after looking over the menu that is one we would enjoy very much!

There is plenty of availability for dinner on our AK day so now I just need to decide if we want an earlier dinner (before the park closes) or one closer to park closing (closes @ 7 so maybe a 6:30 reservation??), I am leaning towards earlier so we can see the animals some and are not leaving when everyone else is.

I am still debating reservation number 2 so keep the ideas coming! I am thinking about a lunch midday to help ODS take a sensory break.. he loves Disney more than any of us but it's tough on him, too much going on at once!

usmcwife1 said:
These are all fabulous recommendations! I would have never thought about Sanaa but after looking over the menu that is one we would enjoy very much!

There is plenty of availability for dinner on our AK day so now I just need to decide if we want an earlier dinner (before the park closes) or one closer to park closing (closes @ 7 so maybe a 6:30 reservation??), I am leaning towards earlier so we can see the animals some and are not leaving when everyone else is.

I am still debating reservation number 2 so keep the ideas coming! I am thinking about a lunch midday to help ODS take a sensory break.. he loves Disney more than any of us but it's tough on him, too much going on at once!

If sanaa looks good to you, consider restaurant marakesh

Tutto Italia was nice and quiet the couple of time we have eaten there. It's kind of fancy.

I saw 'Ohana mentioned. I'd say avoid that place! It is really LOUD. They have someone on a mic leading groups to dance and run coconut races. There was a speaker right over our table & we could hardly stand it!!! :headache:

Coral Reef is nice and soothing. If you are lucky to get a table on the bottom level near the tank, it is especially magical. We haven't been in years, but we enjoyed it in the past.

Also, Le Cellier is dimly lit and quiet. I wouldn't recommend using 2 dining credits for it, but since you are not on the plan that might be a good relaxing choice.

Our current favorite is Teppan Edo, but it is a typical Japanese Steakhouse. You are seated with strangers (8/table), and they do the fire thing. I'd probably avoid there too.

San Angel Inn is quiet and dark. We've only eaten there once, but it was fantastic! You can watch the Mexico boat ride from your table.

Glad you're considering Sanaa. For the picky one, their flatbread pizza is really tasty and also really simple.

Another resort restaurant that many people like is Olivia's over at Old Key West. I remember our dinner being very nice, and our server was absolutely wonderful and sweet.

Oh, and we *love* Hollywood Brown Derby. I don't know what the prices are for anything but what we get, which is the coconut tofu noodle bowl (at about $28), so it might be higher than you want assuming you eat something other than that, but it's just such a pleasant environment in there. It's packed, but somehow stays calm, beautiful, and as I recall, quiet. We've sat at a booth and we've sat at a table in the middle of the restaurant, and it didn't matter...it was a very nice break in the day with really tasty food.

My first thought was CR. The aquarium is awesome. I agree that Ohana can be loud. The women that leads the coconut races etc. Is soooo annoying. :rotfl: We like Mama Melrose a little loud because it almost always full but pretty calm otherwise. Hope you enjoy your vacation!

I would avoid whispering canyon. That place is loud!

For a good sensory break I suggest brown derby or le cellier. Both dimly lit and quiet and great food!

Sanaa would be my choice as well. Not only is the menu interesting and the food great, but it is well within your price range and has a quiet, relaxing atmosphere.

Regarding TS lunch; What park will you be at that day? I think most TS restaurants in the parks may be too much stimulation for your son. Brown Derby is probably the best but I find it overrated. Maybe Le Cellier but it's impossible to get.

You might have better luck going to an Monorail resort for a mid-day break, and trying Kona or maybe the Wave (I have never been to the Wave so I can't address the noise level). Oh! The Grand Floridian Cafe is supposed to have good food and be quiet and calm. I have never been but I have poked my head in and found it to be very cheery and pleasant. Also, it is well within the budget.

Nicole

What about Sci Fi for a lunch? It is a less expensive table service and CS in DHS isn't that great anyhow. It is dark and quiet. The food is standard...not memorable but good.
As long as the movie clips don't scare any of the kids or give ODS sensory overload.

Just popping in to say thanks again for all the great ideas! It's hard to gauge how DS would handle certain restaurants based on the guidebooks descriptions so I greatly appreciate your sharing your ideas with me :)

So far we have Sanaa for dinner on AK day (an earlier dinner so we can visit AKL and avoid the crowds at park closing), Kona for a mid morning breakfast on a no-park day and are looking into one more lunch of dinner... we might opt for a reservation on one of our other no-park days as we are staying 7 nights and only visiting the parks 4 days (military hopper), I thought it might be nice to visit one of the resort restaurants that day as well.

The Grand Floridian Cafe in the Grand Floridian Resort. There is nothing cafe about it, it is a very beautiful restaurant! And the food is good as well.:) Tasty steaks and chicken, and the dessert sampler is yummy.:goodvibes

It is fancy but not too fancy. And not stuffy.

Two :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 for Sanaa! My nephews (10 and 12) love it and request it on every trip. Seeing the animals is awesome and it's not too crazy in there.

Some other thoughts (one was Kona, but you have that already!)

* I agree on Coral Reef. Quiet (but not too quiet) and awesome fish tank!

* Chef's de France. Nephews enjoy this one.

* Yak and Yet in AK. We enjoy this one as well.

* Hollywood Brown Derby. Very peaceful break from the park but it is pricey and 2 TS, I believe.

* La Hacienda in Mexico in Epcot. We did this for dinner and enjoyed it very much. It sits right on the lake and we timed it so we were there for Illuminations. Not everyone is near the window, so you may have to stand up to see, and when I was there, they didn't pipe the music in.

Or San Angel Inn here - it's inside the pavillion and the boat ride goes by. Dark, but nice atmosphere. Sometimes the Mariachi band is playing, fyi.

* Tokyo Dining in Epcot.

* Boatwrights at POR. I haven't tried it but strolled over and looked at the menu. Looks good and I hear good things about it on this board!

I feel like Ohana, WCC and Teppan Edo have a lot going on for a kid with sensory issues. Even Le Cellier can feel crowded and loud to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter