Please settle an argument....Do most families

Yes...we do. Tonight we have two bacon burgers and half a box of Mac n cheese leftover, plus a bunch of raw veggies, for the kids lunches tomorrow. I cooked enough for them to, intentionally, have lunch tomorrow they doesn't require the stove/oven.

We do. I actually enjoy most leftovers, although there are a few things that I will not eat reheated, like mashed potatoes.

We don't purposefully make extra to have for future meals but there does tend to be leftovers due to how much a recipe makes and how many people are eating it.
For example my sister and I had stuffed peppers so my parents tend to have a lot of leftovers for that that they get 2 dinners and a lunch out of
Or my sister will make a certain dish that is enough to feed 5 but because my niece is now off to college we only have 4 people eating it.
Our fridge definitely always has a number of leftovers and then on garbage night we look and say... well this is from 2 days ago is anyone gonna finish it? and this is from 6 days ago so its getting tossed....

We don’t make extra if we can help it b/c it almost always goes to waste. We usually won’t even take home restaurant food for left overs b/c it usually ends up in the trash.
::yes:: Same. I remember mentioning this on the CB before in a similar thread and getting seriously flamed.

We do - but we are a family of 2 and most meals are 4+ servings. I eat leftovers nearly everyday for lunch, and sometimes DH will have them as a "snack" before dinner.

I don't intentionally try to make extra food but like others have said, sometimes due to recipes requirements, we just end up with some leftovers. My husband and son (who is now away at college) are the only ones who will eat any leftovers and even my husband has a very limited number of things he will eat as leftovers. We rarely bring leftovers home from a restaurant as they usually sit in the fridge for a few days and then end up in the garbage.

I do try to take certain leftovers that don't get eaten out to a field behind our house and let some animals enjoy them.

No. I do my best to make leftovers. I don't like eating the same thing twice in a row so lunch if different. There are times when things are naturally going to have leftovers and those I do plan for two night of dinner as opposed to dinner and lunch. I think because I grew up in a big family where there was never ever anything left.

Most recipes are made for more than two and while we do downsize some recipes there are others (like casseroles, crockpot meals, etc) aren't as easy and we just plan on those being for multiple meals. So yes we have leftovers but no they don't tend to go to waste. They'll either get eaten for lunch if a smaller portion left or dinner the next night if there's a larger portion left.

As for restaurants it depends if we take leftovers home.

In terms of both my husband is notorious for forgetting leftovers for lunch--that's ok I just claim it as my lunch instead when it's clear he's forgotten it :P most of the time I do ask but there are times I'm pretty darn confident he's not going to want it the next day :D

Some of the frozen meals we've made we've divided into two containers and stored them in the freezer so it becomes 2 meals that way rather than 1 larger meal with leftovers.

Try my best not to because no one here including me likes most leftovers.

Last edited:
We eat leftovers in our house. We just had my teen daughter's boyfriend with us for a weekend away and he does not eat leftovers. He said he's never had to. I can't imagine never eating leftovers! I will say that my kids don't prefer leftovers, but they do eat them depending on what it is.

Rare for us as I have teen boys that are eating me out of house and home! But I try for leftovers and do take them for work lunch if they are available.

Also rare for us to afford supper out so if I have leftovers from a restaurant for lunch I'm super excited! That's the best!

I was brought up not to waste food and instilling that value in my children.

We often make a roast on Sundays (English tradition) and use leftovers on Monday for hot roast beef sandwiches.

So people actually throw out perfectly good food?

Last edited:
Rare for us as I have teen boys that are eating me out of house and home! But I try for leftovers and do take them for work lunch if they are available.

Also rare for us to afford supper out so if I have leftovers from a restaurant for lunch I'm super excited! That's the best!

I was brought up not to waste food and instilling that value in my children.

We often make a roast on Sundays (English tradition) and use leftovers on Monday for hot roast beef sandwiches.

So people actually throw out perfectly good food?
I try not to over cook or over order. And, ftr, if we do throw food away by the time we get to that it’s not longer “perfectly good food”.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter