Please settle an argument....Do most families

I'm not in a position to judge anyone--believe me, for every time we have "Grandma's Authentic Lasagna", there are dozens of times we have other classics such as chili spaghetti (had it last night, with DH-shot venison--yum! But, hardly authentic!) or "spaghetti and hot dogs". Not to mention my personal favorite, "Shut up and Eat it!"

For those who would consider adding wine to pasta sauce, I buy those little 5oz/1 serving wine bottles in both white and red. I don't drink much, so it's the perfect size to add to a sauce for an elegant touch (on the cheap).

I'm guessing you serve a lovely rosa in the proper stemware made from mixing milk with fruity pebbles.

Of course if I have the prep time for the mixing and the time it takes to achieve the perfect blush. If I’m in a rush I just stir up a batch of mimosas. Everyone knows that drinking doesn’t count if it’s in orange juice and served with breakfast foods.

My family started out all of us eating lasagna but now only DH and I do so with the leftovers I freeze some and some pieces are for lunch that week I make it. What is unique to our lasagna is I make tiny meatballs to put in the layers.

Between that and @NHdisneylover 's fresh pasta, I'm not sure what I make even deserves to be called "lasagna". Maybe from now on we'll just refer to it as wide noodles layered with beef and tomato sauce and topped with melted cheese. :blush:
:rotfl:oh the pasta thing is NOT me, that is all DH. It is yummy and he makes itquickly and considers it easy---I am pretty sure it would take me 3 times as long and be frustrating. When he is out of town, DS and i make plenty of pasta dishes with normal dried pasta. I am all about how easy dry pasta is thankyouverymuch.
But back to those routines, he has a routine for the pasta and knows it well wnough to throw together a dough (with our without egg depending) in minutes to for him it is not big deal.
My oldest is like that with flour tortillas which they make from scratch (another things I just use store bought for---those are a go to "I need easy food fast" thing for me).

We definetly use some very basic, predone type stuff too. DS20 loves spaghetti bolognese made with dried pasta and a powdered sauce packet where you just add meat and water. I am very down with that.
And grilled cheese? The real deal is made with crappy white sandwhich bread and little squares of "cheese" which comes wrapped in plastic and tons of butter. Other thigns with real cheese on good bread might taste delicious, but they are NOT grilled cheese.

And grilled cheese? The real deal is made with crappy white sandwhich bread and little squares of "cheese" which comes wrapped in plastic and tons of butter. Other things with real cheese on good bread might taste delicious, but they are NOT grilled cheese.

:laughing: I actually like "fancy" grilled cheese, but DH and DS are on your side!

I'm definitely not a fresh-pasta-making person either. (In fact, I consider these:
https://www.barilla.com/en-us/product-results/sauce/range/ready-pasta?sort=alpha
a wonderful invention!)

I'm one of those people who can be a good cook, when I'm in the mood. I have good instincts, and I'm not afraid to be creative. Unfortunately, when I'm tired and hungry, cooking is the last thing I want to do!

Last edited:
:rotfl:...And grilled cheese? The real deal is made with crappy white sandwhich bread and little squares of "cheese" which comes wrapped in plastic and tons of butter. Other thigns with real cheese on good bread might taste delicious, but they are NOT grilled cheese.
:worship: Preach!!

And grilled cheese? The real deal is made with crappy white sandwhich bread and little squares of "cheese" which comes wrapped in plastic and tons of butter. Other thigns with real cheese on good bread might taste delicious, but they are NOT grilled cheese.

LOL, I JUST had this same conversation in real life on Monday with someone!! My opinion matched yours.

We don't intentionally make extra food for the purposes of having leftovers for lunches or other dinners. But, if we make something that ends up having leftovers, we will usually take it for lunch the next day or eat it at some point.

:teeth: No worries - you're talking to somebody here who buys bottled salad dressing and boxed cake mixes. I've even been known to heat deli roast beef in packaged gravy and serve it over toast as a hot roast beef sandwich. Between that and my eating cereal for supper, who would I be to judge? :confused3 And FWIW, I consider myself a really great cook.

We have done that for hot roast beef sandwiches!

Well with only feeding 2 ppl it would be very hard not to have leftovers. We find most things taste better the 2nd time around any way. And sometimes I will make a bunch of something knowing we can eat off it a few times. Like yesterday the potatoes was starting to sprout more than I'd care for them to. I cooked a big 3qrt pan an mashed them we had them with our fish last night at supper an tonight we will have them with meatloaf. Tomorrow is salmon patties an might have them with the salmon.

We will get 2 suppers off the meatloaf an 2 lunches an I only used about 1 lb of meat. Salmon is a supper an a lunch or can be stretched another supper in a couple of days with an extra veggie.

I enjoyed knowing last night all I had to do for supper tonight was mixing up the meatloaf and baking it. I got leftover veggies as well to go with the mashed potatoes.

I mixed up the meatloaf early afternoon set it back in fridge to be ready to go in oven about 4:30.

It's taken me years an I do mean years to learn to do as much cooking prep as possible early in the day The whole time my DD's was growing up I most always waited till time to do supper before starting any of it. I REALIZE NOW WAT A NO NO THAT WAS. It only made my job very stress full an much harder than it had to be. At least 3 nights out of 5 someone would need 1st aid another help with homework etc. I honestly wonder WHY I did that to myself back then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter