Please share any info about ECVs

DurangoJim

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are send my parents to WDW for their anniversary in November. They’re staying at POFQ and my mom has severe osteoarthritis of her knees and is thinking about renting an ECV for the duration of their trip. It will be just her and my dad so I’d like to get as much info as possible. It looks like I’ll be renting it for them from an off site company and have it delivered to POFQ. A couple of questions we all have is: where do you charge it and leave it over night? Can the bus driver drive it on to the bus or does my mom have to do it? They have dinner at Narcoosees the night of their anniversary and would like to go to MK after. Are there cabs that can accommodate the ECV or will they need to get Disney transport to take them from FQ to the GF?
Thanks in advance for any help, I just want to make this as stress free a trip as possible for them!

A couple of questions we all have is:
1: where do you charge it and leave it over night?
2: Can the bus driver drive it on to the bus or does my mom have to do it? They have dinner at Narcoosees the night of their anniversary and would like to go to MK after.
3: Are there cabs that can accommodate the ECV or will they need to get Disney transport to take them from FQ to the GF?

1: In the room, using any outlet
2: No, she or your dad dad's has to drive it on, but then the bus driver will (more likely) direct her parking, or put it in freewheel and move it into position.
3: A few; there are also four accessible Minnie Vans.

For all the information in general see the disABILITIES CASe thread, and read any thread on this first page with ECV in the subject line.

My wife and I are sending my parents to WDW for their anniversary in November. They’re staying at POFQ and my mom has severe osteoarthritis of her knees and is thinking about renting an ECV for the duration of their trip. It will be just her and my dad so I’d like to get as much info as possible. It looks like I’ll be renting it for them from an off-site company and have it delivered to POFQ. A couple of questions we all have is: where do you charge it and leave it overnight? Can the bus driver drive it on to the bus or does my mom have to do it? They have dinner at Narcoosees the night of their anniversary and would like to go to MK after. Are there cabs that can accommodate the ECV or will they need to get Disney transport to take them from FQ to the GF?
Thanks in advance for any help, I just want to make this as stress-free a trip as possible for them!

1: In the room, using any outlet
2: No, she or your dad's has to drive it on, but then the bus driver will (more likely) direct her parking, or put it in freewheel and move it into position.
3: A few; there are also four accessible Minnie Vans.there

For all the information, in general, see the disABILITIES Case thread, and read any thread on this first page with ECV in the subject line.

Hi, DurangoJim. I see kaytieeldr has already posted for you.

DurangoJim said:
It looks like I’ll be renting it for them from an off-site company and have it delivered to POFQ.

There are a lot of good companies that people use on this board to rent their ECV, mobility scooter, or wheelchairs from which you have probably already looked at. Go to the link below to help find some of the companies.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...disabled-1st-trip-next-trip-wish-trip.595713/

As of November 1, 2012, WDW Resorts began a new policy regarding ECV and wheelchair delivery to their resorts:

• Featured Vendors are welcome to check equipment with Bell Services for guest retrieval and return.
    • Non-featured vendors are welcome to do business on Disney property, but they must hand the equipment directly to the guest, and collect the equipment directly from the guest.
    • Here's some key facts:
  • Disney is trying to limit their liability for leased property on their property.
  • Disney used a 3rd party company to collect information about companies that do rental business on Disney property.
  • Bid packets were sent to a number of primarily ECV rental companies.
  • The approval process included business verification, insurance verification, and equipment inspection.
  • I have also heard that Disney had 2 other goals - one was to limit the speed of the scooters and the other was to limit the size (to make sure they fit on buses and in queues).
    I have heard that the Featured Vendors also agreed that a certain percentage of their scooters would meet the speed and size guidelines.
    Some very well known and recommended companies were not able to replace their fleet of scooters at this time and did not meet the guidelines for Featured Vendor for that reason.
  • Some chose not to apply (Randy's always delivered and picked up in person, for example, and was not interested in being able to drop off)
  • Contrary to 'popular opinion', the Featured Providers don't pay a fee to Disney (from my contact with many of the companies and with Disney Disability Service).
++ power wheelchairs for experienced renters
This is a list of the Featured Vendors in alphabetical order:
  • Apple Scooter
    321-726-6837
    http://www.applescooter.com/
    Apple rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 135 pounds.
    Apple has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite. There have been some recent (2015 and early 2016) negative reviews.
  • Best Price Mobility
    321-402-5955
    Toll-Free: 866-866-3434
    http://www.bpmobility.com
    Best Price rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers. Little feedback from DIS posters
  • Buena Vista
    (407)938-0349 or toll-free (866)484-4797
    www.buenavistascooters.com
    Buena Vista rents scooters, manual wheelchairs, transport chairs, single and double strollers, lift chairs, knee walkers and some respiratory equipment.
    They also service and repair personal equipment.
    Buena Vista has many good reviews from DIS posters and is a long time favorite.
  • CARE Medical was a Featured Vendor but is closing (changed 5/2/17)
  • Scooterbug
    1-800-726-8284
    Scooterbugmobility.com
    little feedback from DIS posters.
    They rent ECVs, standing ECVs, manual wheelchairs, single and double strollers (weight limit to 60 pounds).
    From what I can tell, this company provides strollers, wheelchairs, and ECVs for the WDW parks; and probably pool chairs. They also rent the large grey ECVs that can be rented in the parks, plus a form of Standing ECV that guests can drive from a standing position. Here is a link to a thread about them, with pictures.
Vendors not on the Featured Provider List:
The specific companies are listed because DIS posters have used and recommended them over the years. The companies with little feedback are listed along with that information.
We will NOT list a company on the FAQs thread without a significant number of recommendations from established posters. Also, some companies encourage/promote allowing children to ride as passengers on scooters. We will not knowingly post a link to any company that encourages behavior that is unsafe and companies that manufacture ECVs specifically warn against in their instruction manuals.
  • Randy's Mobility
  • According to information from Randy, they have a London, England phone # that connects directly to their US. Office.
    US. & CAN. (321-281-6603)
    UK. (02030062368)
    http://randysmobility.com/randysmobility/rentals/
  • Randy's has been a long time favorite of DIS posters.
  • Randys rents ECVs, manual wheelchairs and Joovey strollers, including Joovey Caboose where one child can stand behind. Randy's will sometimes rent ECVs to older teens on a case by case basis.
  • Walker Mobility:
    1-888-726-6837
    www.walkermobility.com
    Walkers rents ECVs, manual wheelchairs, Power wheelchairs ++, single and double strollers.
    They do rent smaller, 16 inch wide wheelchairs, suitable for smaller people (and children) between 80 and 100 pounds.
    Walker is a longtime favorite of DIS Board posters and Walker Mobility is also a wdwinfo.com sponsor
  • Scootarama
    877-736-8328k
    http://www.scootarama.com/
    Scootarama rents scooters and power wheelchairs (which they, confusingly, call another type of scooter).
    Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker, but people who did post about them reported they had no problems.
  • Scooter Vacations
    866-778-4748
    UK 02079 932302
    http://www.scootorlando.com/index.html
    Scooter Vacations rents scooter of various types (which they confusingly call 'electric wheelchairs')
    Not as much feedback as Randys, Care, and Walker, but people who did post about them reported no problems. Their website lists them as "Disney Premier Providers" and "Universal Premier Providers". Neither Disney nor Universal has any listing for "Premier Provider".
  • Scootaround
    1-888-441-7575
  • https://locations.scootaround.com/orlando
  • Not as much feedback as Randy's, Care and Walker. Scootaround rents ECV, wheelchairs and walkers/rollators. They also rent power wheelchairs.
  • They are a nationwide company.
DurangoJim said:
Where do you charge it and leave it overnight?

Most folks bring a doorstop to keep the resort door open. She doesn't have to drive it in the room herself. Just have her get off of the mobility scooter and turn the "free wheel" lever on so that it can be roled freely without electricity. That way you could guide it in the resort room and back it up next to the front resort window and plug the charger into it and into the wall electrical outlet. It seems a lot easier to do this instead of bumping into the door or wall or bed if trying to drive it. I own my own and sometimes I will go to the park every other day, so I also bring a small electrical one to twelve hour countdown timer that turns off the electricity so that I don't accidentally over charge it if I sleep in. You don't have to do this.

DurangoJim said:
Can the bus driver drive it on to the bus or does my mom have to do it?

All of the Disney Bus drivers have been very kind when watching a newbie try and drive up the ramp. If you want to you could drive it up the ramp for her by standing at the head of the driving tiller and turning the speed dial down as low as possible to allow you to drive the mobility scooter straight up the ramp. Once on the bus you can ask the driver to park it for her. If she doesn't need to sit in the chair, she can get up and sit next to you in a bus seat. This would make it easier for the Disney Bus driver to move the mobility scooter in free wheel mode and then tie it down.

If you don't already know this, the bus driver arrives and sees the mobility scooter in the appropriate space at the bus stop. They will ask the other guest in the front door line to wait until he loads all of the wheelchairs/mobility scooters. So you will be first on and last off so that there won't be a lot of guests standing in the bus aisles. If she would rather stay seated in her mobility scooter, the Disney Bus driver can tie her scooter down and attach a seat belt to her.

Some resorts have more than one bus stop and in that case there may already be guest on the bus. The Disney Bus driver will let the guests off first and follow the same procedure. I believe Port Orleans French Quarter only has one bus stop. I believe Port Orleans Riverside has several bus stops.

DurangoJim said:
They have dinner at Narcoosees the night of their anniversary and would like to go to MK after. Are there cabs that can accommodate the ECV or will they need to get Disney transport to take them from FQ to the GF?

I don't know if you have read about the Disney Minnie Vans, but they also have them with handicap accessible Disney Minnie Vans. During the busier times of the days, I have heard that they may be spread a little thin, so you may have to plan ahead. If you call the regular Lyft or Uber taxies you may still have a timing issues for a handicap van. You could also call MEARS handicap vans to get you there.

I don't know if you are having the anniversary on your day of arrival. If not then you can check with your resort about this and they can help you. I understand that using handicap accessible Disney Minnie Vans must call for travel instead of using the app on your phone. I'm sure that others will show up and answer your questions, too.

Or you could take the Disney bus to Magic Kingdom and then take the monorail to the Grand Floridian Narcoosees' restaurant.

I would probably want to spend the extra money for her to take the Disney Minnie Handicap Vans

Here is a link to some photos and info about the Disney Minnie Handicap Vans. I hope someone comes to help answer all of your questions.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...dw-minnie-accessible-van-and-reviews.3681995/

I have the same problem with my knees and use a scooter while at WDW. There's many good scooter threads here to answer your questions. I'd always rented from a company that could leave the scooter with bell services for me to pick up/drop off but this past time I rented from Gold Mobility - really great experience. I'm guessing most of the scooter companies will work with you to supply the right type of scooter and she'll be happy with it.

If she is hesitant to park it on the bus - would your dad help? He can drive it up and down for her. When she firsts gets the scooter it would be good to drive it around the resort and practice some parallel parking with it and also getting in and out of elevators (so she gets used to going backwards as well as forwards). Scooters are easy to operate but it helps to practice somewhere where it doesn't matter if you mess up - lol!

We used the Minnie Van with the lift one night from the Contemporary back to Pop and it was great - driver was wonderful. I think you have to call a special number to get them - and you can reserve in advance (to some extent - I'm not clear on this). I can PM you the number if you want the one the driver gave us to call if we needed the van with the lift. I think the flat rate for the lift van is $25. If your parents are at the MK before their GF dinner, they could in theory take the monorail around to the GF if they leave early and give themselves time. The GF is a lovely resort and they may enjoy looking around before dinner if they arrive a bit early. :)

You can use the bus to get to MK, then take the monorail to the Grand Floridian, and then go back on the monorail to go MK. It's easier to get on a monorail with a scooter.

This way, you pay nothing to get there and back.

I have the same problem with my knees and use a scooter while at WDW. There's many good scooter threads here to answer your questions. I'd always rented from a company that could leave the scooter with bell services for me to pick up/drop off but this past time I rented from Gold Mobility - really great experience. I'm guessing most of the scooter companies will work with you to supply the right type of scooter and she'll be happy with it.

If she is hesitant to park it on the bus - would your dad help? He can drive it up and down for her. When she firsts gets the scooter it would be good to drive it around the resort and practice some parallel parking with it and also getting in and out of elevators (so she gets used to going backwards as well as forwards). Scooters are easy to operate but it helps to practice somewhere where it doesn't matter if you mess up - lol!

We used the Minnie Van with the lift one night from the Contemporary back to Pop and it was great - driver was wonderful. I think you have to call a special number to get them - and you can reserve in advance (to some extent - I'm not clear on this). I can PM you the number if you want the one the driver gave us to call if we needed the van with the lift. I think the flat rate for the lift van is $25. If your parents are at the MK before their GF dinner, they could in theory take the monorail around to the GF if they leave early and give themselves time. The GF is a lovely resort and they may enjoy looking around before dinner if they arrive a bit early. :)
If you could pm me that dumber I’d
really appreciate it! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!